35 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you have chosen?

• Go for it
    • Rebuild

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Shall I state the most obvious answer or is it too obvious to even mention

Of course you should - 2005! That absolutely heads off any list of the "good things" he's done for the franchise. In fact, it belongs at the head of the list of the "great things" he's done for the franchise. That's how awesome 2005 was, and it's certainly his crowning achievement to date as owner. Total gold star in his column for that season, and he deserves all of the accolades that go with the accomplishments of that year. No questions asked on that one, at all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Hey Look, it's Thad. Repeating himself.

Keep it positive, please, or at least follow along. We're are simply discussing the "good things" the owner has done for the franchise, as referenced by another poster. Would be better you add to that list and actually contribute to the discussion rather than settling into your own usual repeat mode of belittling posters.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Keep it positive, please, or at least follow along. We're are simply discussing the "good things" the owner has done for the franchise, as referenced by another poster. Would be better you add to that list and actually contribute to the discussion rather than settling into your own usual repeat mode of belittling posters.

Oh you were being positive while belittling someone for appreciating JR? My bad my bad. Do continue

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)

I think your comment "such as?" was taken wrongly...were you simply curious as to what the poster thought JR has done well for thre organization or were you implying he has done nothing at all?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Oh you were being positive while belittling someone for appreciating JR? My bad my bad. Do continue

I didn't belittle anybody. I was responding to a point Lip made, who is one of my favorite posters on this board. He made a reference to the "good things" the owner has done for the franchise, and I'm just curious as to what he's referring to, outside of the achievements of the glorious 2005 season, to which I give the owner all his deserved acclaim in an earlier post.

So nothing negative going on here. If you have anything positive to add yourself, if your thinking is in line with what maybe Lip is referring to, then by all means, add on!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)
I didn't belittle anybody. I was responding to a point Lip made, who is one of my favorite posters on this board. He made a reference to the "good things" the owner has done for the franchise, and I'm just curious as to what he's referring to, outside of the achievements of the glorious 2005 season, to which I give the owner all his deserved acclaim in an earlier post.

So nothing negative going on here. If you have anything positive to add yourself, if your thinking is in line with what maybe Lip is referring to, then by all means, add on!

Oh aren't you awesome with your passive aggressive act. Can't wait for the next time you repeat it. I'm "looking forward to it"!

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
I thought so...just a little misinterpretation going on

Nah. We can call it "seen this before" much more than "misrepresentation"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
Oh aren't you awesome with your passive aggressive act. Can't wait for the next time you repeat it. I'm "looking forward to it"!

If you have nothing to add, then you have nothing to add. Would be easier if you just said that rather than engaging in your repeat act of belittling posters.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
If you have nothing to add, then you have nothing to add. Would be easier if you just said that rather than engaging in your repeat act of belittling posters.

Im not about to listen to what you tell me to do on this board any more than you listen to anyone else when they ask you to stop your tired act of freaking out about Reinsdorf. Have a good night Thad

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Such as?

It somewhat pains me to do this but fair is fair:

1. He brought stability to a franchise that was reeling after the ownership of Bill Veeck part II

2. He initially spent money, a lot of it, for the time refurbishing the original Comiskey Park

3. Again a lot of money was spent the first three years of ownership bringing in players like Fisk, Luzinski, Cruz, Kemp, Paciorek and Bannister.

4. He was one of the "moderate six" owners who were totally against the labor impasse in 1981 stating publicly that it was stupid and insane and needed to be called off.

5. Be it by luck or design they won a World Series under his tenure.

6. Even though it was extortion, he was able to get a new stadium built and the Sox sooner or later were going to need one.

That's just off the top of my head.

Now the list of things he did to badly hurt the franchise is much easier to recall but again fair is fair.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
It somewhat pains me to do this but fair is fair:

1. He brought stability to a franchise that was reeling after the ownership of Bill Veeck part II

2. He initially spent money, a lot of it, for the time refurbishing the original Comiskey Park

3. Again a lot of money was spent the first three years of ownership bringing in players like Fisk, Luzinski, Cruz, Kemp, Paciorek and Bannister.

4. He was one of the "moderate six" owners who were totally against the labor impasse in 1981 stating publicly that it was stupid and insane and needed to be called off.

5. Be it by luck or design they won a World Series under his tenure.

6. Even though it was extortion, he was able to get a new stadium built and the Sox sooner or later were going to need one.

That's just off the top of my head.

Now the list of things he did to badly hurt the franchise is much easier to recall but again fair is fair.

#5, for sure, serves as top of the owner’s triumphs as owner. Hands down.

#1-4 reflect favorably on the early years, 81-83. Comiskey Park never looked better than during the ‘83 All-Star game, and that was due to the investment put into the park you reference in #2.

#6, not so much. The “extortion” relating to the blackmailing of the State of Illinois to build the current ballpark will forever be a blemish on the franchise’s history, even long after the current owner is gone.

What’s missing is probably the tenures of Thomas, Buerhle, and Konerko, three of the greatest players in Sox history whose careers either began with the Sox via being drafted by the team (Frank & Mark), or being brought over through a trade (Paulie). They put their considerable stamp in the game in a Sox uniform, and did so during the Reinsdorf era, so he gets a check in the “good things” he’s brought to the franchise during his 37 years at the helm for that as well.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:36 AM)
#5, for sure, serves as top of the owner’s triumphs as owner. Hands down.

#1-4 reflect favorably on the early years, 81-83. Comiskey Park never looked better than during the ‘83 All-Star game, and that was due to the investment put into the park you reference in #2.

#6, not so much. The “extortion” relating to the blackmailing of the State of Illinois to build the current ballpark will forever be a blemish on the franchise’s history, even long after the current owner is gone.

What’s missing is probably the tenures of Thomas, Buerhle, and Konerko, three of the greatest players in Sox history whose careers either began with the Sox via being drafted by the team (Frank & Mark), or being brought over through a trade (Paulie). They put their considerable stamp in the game in a Sox uniform, and did so during the Reinsdorf era, so he gets a check in the “good things” he’s brought to the franchise during his 37 years at the helm for that as well.

Blemish. That was a great move by them. They have a stadium and didn't pay for it. Imagine the payroll for the players if the sox were paying for the stadium as well. that's like blaming the players for the money the owners give them. You get what you can get when you can get it.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:42 AM)
Blemish. That was a great move by them. They have a stadium and didn't pay for it. Imagine the payroll for the players if the sox were paying for the stadium as well. that's like blaming the players for the money the owners give them. You get what you can get when you can get it.

Someone please tell me again the terms of the new stadium.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 06:47 AM)
Someone please tell me again the terms of the new stadium.

I don't know the specifics, I'm sure someone does, however it's owned by the illinois sports facility authority (https://www.isfauthority.com/). the sox rent Comiskey from them at a low rate and rent is free if they don't hit a certain attendance. It's a favorable deal for the team.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:42 AM)

Considering they did what pretty much every single other in professional sports has done, I am not sure you could call that a blemish, unless you are holding all other professional team owners to decades long grudges over their new stadiums.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Considering they did what pretty much every single other in professional sports has done, I am not sure you could call that a blemish, unless you are holding all other professional team owners to decades long grudges over their new stadiums.

Weren't they one of the first?

The Bears are the bigger crooks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)

Exactly. It's good business for the team.

The decisions the politicians make for the taxpayers is a whole different issue.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Exactly. It's good business for the team.

The decisions the politicians make for the taxpayers is a whole different issue.

Yeah you can't blame the teams at all for robbing cities with these stadium deals. It's 100% on the s***ty governments that allow it to happen.