Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, Sox can't sign him because of the Robert restrictions. I believe they can't sign anyone for over 300k until 2019, IIRC. There is no way they aren't going to have him subject to International Pool money. It would open up a can of worms that they don't want opened.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Guys, Sox can't sign him because of the Robert restrictions. I believe they can't sign anyone for over 300k until 2019, IIRC. There is no way they aren't going to have him subject to International Pool money

There is a really good chance that he won't be an amateur foreign signing though so it wouldn't fall into the same category as signing a Robert or a Moncada.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Guys, Sox can't sign him because of the Robert restrictions. I believe they can't sign anyone for over 300k until 2019, IIRC. There is no way they aren't going to have him subject to International Pool money. It would open up a can of worms that they don't want opened.

I don't see how mlb can make him an international amateur again after playing in the United States this year. This is a precedent that's never been set before. That's why it will be really interesting to see what happens.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)

He'd likely be declared a regular FA.

So I actually went back and searched the previous case. The Red Sox prospects did count against the international caps when signing with their new teams. I am not sure if playing in the US makes any difference or not as the most important thing is that neither player would have been union represented at the time of their release, so I don't know if Maitan playing in the US will make a difference or not.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...om-Boston-.html

The Phillies signed Venezuelan outfielder Simon Muzziotti for $750,000, but just $450,000 will count against their international signing pool. Muzziotti, 17, signed last July with Boston for $300,000, which seemed to be a bargain for a player that was ranked by MLB.com as the 14th best international free agent.

An investigation by Major League Baseball founded that the Red Sox circumvented the bonus pool structure last summer to several Venezuelan players in package deals. The Red Sox were not allowed to give a player more than $300,000 last summer because they exceeded their bonus pool the year before.

MLB said the Red Sox signed players last summer who are worth more than $300,000 by giving deals to lesser players who would then funnel that money to the bigger names. MLB stripped the Red Sox of five international players signed last summer and banned them from signing any players this summer.

MLB allowed Muzziotti to keep his $300,000 signing bonus from Boston. He played 17 games this season with Boston's team in the Dominican Summer League. He batted .317 in 60 at-bats. He will soon join the Phillies team in Venezuela. The Phillies had scouted him last year when he signed for Boston.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
Yeah I do think starters is the 6 for $68 deal of Abreu.

I can't see the price going that high. We are still talking about a 17/18 year old kid here. Too much risk for a team to shell that much. I could see it going as high as 30-45M though.

Never have been a fan of handing out big money to aging vets and have preferred to spend big on young talent. Maitan is certainly young talent so if he becomes a FA, I would pull out all the stops to sign the kid. Go the Luis Robert route and get the young Latin American talent from the Sox system to help sweep the kid off his feet. Make a video ( ala Robert ) with Abreu, Avi, Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Adolfo etc to sweet talk the kid and be prepared to spend huge to get him. Also, pump Chicago's huge Latin American community, culture and cuisine. Whatever it takes.

Man, if this kid becomes a FA and is added to the FA market with Otani, this off season will be a crazy ride.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Never have been a fan of handing out big money to aging vets and have preferred to spend big on young talent. Maitan is certainly young talent so if he becomes a FA, I would pull out all the stops to sign the kid. Go the Luis Robert route and get the young Latin American talent from the Sox system to help sweep the kid off his feet. Make a video ( ala Robert ) with Abreu, Avi, Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, Adolfo etc to sweet talk the kid and be prepared to spend huge to get him. Also, pump Chicago's huge Latin American community, culture and cuisine. Whatever it takes.

Man, if this kid becomes a FA and is added to the FA market with Otani, this off season will be a crazy ride.

Maitan is Venezuelan, so I imagine a guy like Avi would be our best player connection to have involved.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
So I actually went back and searched the previous case. The Red Sox prospects did count against the international caps when signing with their new teams. I am not sure if playing in the US makes any difference or not as the most important thing is that neither player would have been union represented at the time of their release, so I don't know if Maitan playing in the US will make a difference or not.

Makes sense if this is the case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Maitan is Venezuelan, so I imagine a guy like Avi would be our best player connection to have involved.

Hey, I'm game. Whatever it takes. Ozzie is a coach in Venezuela, maybe Ozzie could use his big mouth for something good. :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
That is a really good call. They just freed up a lot of cash, and could still move other players this off season.

But fortunately, the Sox basically no cash committed outside of Robert and Abreu. Rodon and Avi the soonest pay raises.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)

If this is the case then my guess would be whomever is the runner up to otani.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
But fortunately, the Sox basically no cash committed outside of Robert and Abreu. Rodon and Avi the soonest pay raises.

It becomes really important the distinction of if he is under the international signing rules or a true free agent. If he is under the international rules, we have zero chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
It becomes really important the distinction of if he is under the international signing rules or a true free agent. If he is under the international rules, we have zero chance.

Yeah if that's how the Red Sox signings were handled, I would imagine this is the same.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
If he were declared a free agent, I'm assuming teams would sign him to minor league free agent deals, but how do those deals work? Is it the same as an international contract where all the money is in bonuses and he gets the league minimum when he comes up?

It all depends on how the league classifies his free agency.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)

I feel like playing in the US should basically override that.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
I feel like playing in the US should basically override that.

I get the feeling they want to establish a precedence against this kind of action, but seeing with what they did to Boston, I don't want to see MLB wanting to create an incentive for players to try to get out of their contracts either.

Pushing him back into the international pools kind of accomplishes both instead of creating this huge feeding frenzy of complete free agency. It also follows MLB own rules to a T. He isn't old enough, nor is he considered to have enough professional experience to circumvent the rules.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
I get the feeling they want to establish a precedence against this kind of action, but seeing with what they did to Boston, I don't want to see MLB wanting to create an incentive for players to try to get out of their contracts either.

Pushing him back into the international pools kind of accomplishes both instead of creating this huge feeding frenzy of complete free agency. It also follows MLB own rules to a T. He isn't old enough, nor is he considered to have enough professional experience to circumvent the rules.

But at the same time, it harms teams that might have had cap space back then but not now.

This a real sticky situation. What's the punishment for giving draft picks illegal incentives.