Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
But at the same time, it harms teams that might have had cap space back then but not now.

This a real sticky situation. What's the punishment for giving draft picks illegal incentives.

Boston lost all of their signings, didn't get their money back for the signings they lost, couldn't try to sign their voided signings again, and picked up an additional period of being blocked from signing any other players over $300k.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Boston lost all of their signings, didn't get their money back for the signings they lost, couldn't try to sign their voided signings again, and picked up an additional period of being blocked from signing any other players over $300k.

Draft, not international.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
I get the feeling they want to establish a precedence against this kind of action, but seeing with what they did to Boston, I don't want to see MLB wanting to create an incentive for players to try to get out of their contracts either.

Pushing him back into the international pools kind of accomplishes both instead of creating this huge feeding frenzy of complete free agency. It also follows MLB own rules to a T. He isn't old enough, nor is he considered to have enough professional experience to circumvent the rules.

He's not an international amateur anymore though. He played in the United States last year. It wouldn't really make any sense. If the White Sox decided to release a guy like Josue Guerrero right now he wouldn't be limited to bonus pools. He'd be a free agent. I have no idea what they'll ultimately decide but it's the first time something like this happened.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
He's not an international amateur anymore though. He played in the United States last year. It wouldn't really make any sense. If the White Sox decided to release a guy like Josue Guerrero right now he wouldn't be limited to bonus pools. He'd be a free agent. I have no idea what they'll ultimately decide but it's the first time something like this happened.

Technically neither were any of the guys that Boston had voided either. They had already signed professional contracts just like Maitan.

If Boston had released any of them while they were in the DSL they would have been free agents as well. The fact that they are playing in the DR versus the US has no bearing on that.

Does MLB actually recognize the distinction here? I kind of doubt it as neither are union members, which means MLB can do whatever they want to them essentially.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
But at the same time, it harms teams that might have had cap space back then but not now.

This a real sticky situation. What's the punishment for giving draft picks illegal incentives.

I feel like the minimum should be counting the incentive towards their bonus pool and giving the penalty that goes with it. This article has a rundown of the penalties, and you would have to think it would put them in the 5-10% or 10-15% overages which result in a lost first round pick and a lost second round pick for the higher group. If they went over 15%, its lost first round picks for the next two years, so that would be crazy bad. No matter which penalty, they should get the appropriate one and also void the contract so teams don't try to do this kind of thing and make sure they're just in the lowest group and hope they don't get caught, but lessen the damage if they do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
This so badly. The international system we have now is a joke. Realistically we just need a world wide draft like the NBA and NHL use.

How does the Player's Union feel about that?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

I'm not sure but I know players would love it. I base that off of the criticism some players had for the system when Moncada signed for $31.5 mill while top draft picks are signing for significantly less.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

Players union will always screw over non members if it means more perks for actual players. It makes sense, but frankly the amount of restrictions they put on signings in the last CBA isn't significantly different than a draft, possibly even worse, when you talk about the money flow to intl players.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm not sure but I know players would love it. I base that off of the criticism some players had for the system when Moncada signed for $31.5 mill while top draft picks are signing for significantly less.

Interesting topic.. If we do a draft we will get less good players coming.. Abreu, Cespedes, Moncada, Otani, aand others wouldn't come if they were just going to get the 1st overall pick money.. It's interesting. I'd love a draft but if they do that I think you lose out on lots of top talent..

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Interesting topic.. If we do a draft we will get less good players coming.. Abreu, Cespedes, Moncada, Otani, aand others wouldn't come if they were just going to get the 1st overall pick money.. It's interesting. I'd love a draft but if they do that I think you lose out on lots of top talent..

I don't think it's a hard choice. Stay in poverty against weak competition or go and make $5 million dollars with the possibility of $100 million in my lifetime and get to play with the best competition in the world.

Japan would be the only real competition.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)

Well, they could cut it off at some age (say like, 23 at the oldest). For example, a 27-year old Abreu wouldn't be restricted by it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
Well, they could cut it off at some age (say like, 23 at the oldest). For example, a 27-year old Abreu wouldn't be restricted by it.

They already have a set of international rules in place. It wouldn't be that hard to set a hard age and say that until age 21/23/25 plus so many years of professional experience they have to go through the draft. After that point, they would be a true major league free agent.

In NBA/NHL, these guys have to declare for the draft, so it is done in other sports.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/10/05/klawchat-10517/

Tyler: Given what we know as of now, do you think the Braves will lose Kevin Maitan? Do you think that would be a fair punishment for what seems like a league wide practice?

Keith Law: Given what we know to be true, I don’t think so, but MLB confirmed to me that their investigation is still ongoing. If this is merely about verbal agreements with players before they turn 16 and “hiding” them from other clubs, everyone does it, and I’ve argued for a while that the CBA provides compelling incentive for everyone to do it. If they want to root out the corruption in the July 2nd market, they need to stop trying so hard to prevent teams from paying money for talent.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
So he's saying don't have any restrictions?

If thy want to root out corruption, make an international draft and that's that.

The guys who follow the international stuff the most (Balder and Law amongst the leaders) don't think there should be any caps or limits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
The guys who follow the international stuff the most (Balder and Law amongst the leaders) don't think there should be any caps or limits.

I don't see how there couldn't be, he is still under 23 and has less than six years of professional experience. There are not any other stipulations that would exclude him from those rules as far as anyone has reported.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
I don't see how there couldn't be, he is still under 23 and has less than six years of professional experience. There are not any other stipulations that would exclude him from those rules as far as anyone has reported.

Not just for Maitan, but for international signings in general.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 8m8 minutes ago A #Diamondbacks spokesman tells me that the team has been contacted about the investigation and is cooperating fully

Different investigation, this is the Apple Watch one (2.0)

Edited by Jose Abreu

I have a dumb question possibly because it depends how we view Ben Cherington's role as VP Baseball Ops, but considering the Red Sox scandal and IMO the relatively minor punishment, I wonder if a big part of the "punishment" here will also just be people like Coppy and Cherington out of the GM/LatAm roles as punishment? Granted, it wasn't actually a demotion for Cherington in Toronto but he has someone above him and a GM below ... I don't know I"m less convinced as I write it out.