Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a really interesting case study in how much the draft limits contract size if he becomes an unrestricted free agent. He's ranked lower and is younger and therefore more risky than Luis Robert, so it should be below the $25 mil he recieved, but it would probably be above the highest draft bonus. Wild guess, it would end up being around $10-12 mil.

https://theathletic.com/116743/2017/10/02/r...igning-scandal/

Braves also had a deal with a 14 year old for 2019 class. This is quite the slippery slope if true. The majority of teams have agreements for guys already in 2018, 2019, and 2020. It's the nature of the international market. This could get really interesting.

keithlaw‏Verified account

@keithlaw

Following

More

Related: There are int'l kids who can't legally sign until July 2nd, 2020, who already have verbal agreements with teams. This is SOP.

JJ Cooper‏Verified account

@jjcoop36

Following

More

JJ Cooper Retweeted Ken Rosenthal

If coming to agreement with players before they turn 16 becomes something MLB cracks down on, very few teams would avoid getting caught up.JJ Cooper added,

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 08:08 PM)
With the Red Sox players, they were released from their contract from MLB but still were paid full amount from contract

This is true. None of those guys played for the Red Sox though. Maitan was stateside in A ball this year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Said it in the other thread, if we somehow by the grace of God get him, I better not ever hear Tatis Jr. name on this board again.

I for one would instantly forget about Tatis.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
https://theathletic.com/116743/2017/10/02/r...igning-scandal/

Braves also had a deal with a 14 year old for 2019 class. This is quite the slippery slope if true. The majority of teams have agreements for guys already in 2018, 2019, and 2020. It's the nature of the international market. This could get really interesting.

keithlaw‏Verified account

@keithlaw

Following

More

Related: There are int'l kids who can't legally sign until July 2nd, 2020, who already have verbal agreements with teams. This is SOP.

JJ Cooper‏Verified account

@jjcoop36

Following

More

JJ Cooper Retweeted Ken Rosenthal

If coming to agreement with players before they turn 16 becomes something MLB cracks down on, very few teams would avoid getting caught up.JJ Cooper added,

Hmmm...is this story the tip of the iceberg?

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
It will be a really interesting case study in how much the draft limits contract size if he becomes an unrestricted free agent. He's ranked lower and is younger and therefore more risky than Luis Robert, so it should be below the $25 mil he recieved, but it would probably be above the highest draft bonus. Wild guess, it would end up being around $10-12 mil.

He would also be an absolutely free agent, and not subject to international caps, so all teams would be open to bid on him without penalty. It would be pretty unprecedented.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
He would also be an absolutely free agent, and not subject to international caps, so all teams would be open to bid on him without penalty. It would be pretty unprecedented.

Interesting...should be all in on him then in that case, no payroll the next 2 years if you can buy premium talent for straight cash do it.

I think the bidding would end up getting much higher than $10-12 million if Maitan were declared a free agent. I'm thinking 30-60 million?

I think Maitan blows past what Luis Robert got on the open market. He was the most highly regarded Venezuelan amateur signing in quite some time with Miguel Cabrera comps being thrown around. He held his own as a 17 year old in Rookie ball last year and likely is in A ball as an 18 year old this next season. I think he'd get $30 million plus easily.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
Let's do a Soler type sign.. 7 years, 30 million.. If he does become a FA

How does this work with a 17-year old free agent? It makes sense with draft picks and when international free agents come over as amateurs since the amount of money is just a bonus but I'm not sure how this works here. Say if he signs the same deal Soler signed: does that go in effect right away or when he comes up in 3-4 years?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
How does this work with a 17-year old free agent? It makes sense with draft picks and when international free agents come over as amateurs since the amount of money is just a bonus but I'm not sure how this works here. Say if he signs the same deal Soler signed: does that go in effect right away or when he comes up in 3-4 years?

The benefit to Maitan is it does not need to be the same bonus structure, so people could spread cost out more easily. There's just going to be very little constraints on teams. I couldn't even put a number on it. I'd say at very least we are past jose abreu territory.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
The benefit to Maitan is it does not need to be the same bonus structure, so people could spread cost out more easily. There's just going to be very little constraints on teams. I couldn't even put a number on it. I'd say at very least we are past jose abreu territory.

I did not even think about this. If this is the case, I completely take back my predicition and can confidently say I have no idea how much he is going to get.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)

For a team like the White Sox that will not be able to spend much internationally the next few seasons, Maitan would be a very interesting investment.

I could see the bidding from bigger clubs get to crazy levels in unrestricted free agency though, setting a bad precedent.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
I think the bidding would end up getting much higher than $10-12 million if Maitan were declared a free agent. I'm thinking 30-60 million?

Seeing as all teams could bid, and not just those under the international caps, I would say the opening bid is $50 million.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)

If he is a true free agent, he can sign any contract he wants from MiLB to a full long term major league contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
No way is it that high. The kid is 17.

Given how valuable young talent is I think the bidding would reach $50+ million pretty easily. Every mlb club would have reason to get involved on such a promising player. The risk would be spread out over 6-7 years as well.

Maitan has now played in the USA, so I don't think he could just be tossed back into the international free agent pool.