Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice if one of the AL teams that can spend more signs him or Otani leaving the other one still available. You'd have to think Maitan would be more likely to take the largest bonus than Ohtani who is already forfeiting hundreds of millions of dollars already and is looking for specific opportunities (teams that will let him pitch and hit).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 05:03 AM)
Would be nice if one of the AL teams that can spend more signs him or Otani leaving the other one still available. You'd have to think Maitan would be more likely to take the largest bonus than Ohtani who is already forfeiting hundreds of millions of dollars already and is looking for specific opportunities (teams that will let him pitch and hit).

I wonder if Maintan will want to sign with a team where he is blocked on the left side of the infield with young players or prospects. The Yankees come to mind where they already have a solid young left side that would be hard to beat out.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
I wonder if Maintan will want to sign with a team where he is blocked on the left side of the infield with young players or prospects. The Yankees come to mind where they already have a solid young left side that would be hard to beat out.

I mean he's still 3-4 years away. Torres could shift to second or short when Gregorious or Castro is gone as well.

I've seen a few people kick around the idea that they could move Castro, sign a 3B and have Torres open the year in the minors at 2B.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Depending on when a judgment comes down, I wonder if he could wait until next July when more teams are in the running?

It should like the decision should be coming pretty soon, so do you really think he would wait that long to sign? He would be missing out on spring training and like half a season. It might make him more money in the short term but could hurt his long term development.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
It should like the decision should be coming pretty soon, so do you really think he would wait that long to sign? He would be missing out on spring training and like half a season. It might make him more money in the short term but could hurt his long term development.

If it meant a difference of millions of dollars?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Is Maitan part of the union now? I would be pretty pissed. I don't think much punishment should come down on a 16 year old kid being swept up in that whirlwind. He should just be a free agent.

I don't think you hit union status until you hit the majors.

What would stop a guy like Maitan from taking millions to play in the NPB for three years and then come back to play in the majors? That path would create a much larger earning opportunity and he could come back to a Tanaka like deal and not have to go through years of team control and the arbitration process.

If he progresses the way that people think, a 23 year old Maitain could get a huge FA deal instead of perhaps entering his second year at the league minimum.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
What would stop a guy like Maitan from taking millions to play in the NPB for three years and then come back to play in the majors? That path would create a much larger earning opportunity and he could come back to a Tanaka like deal and not have to go through years of team control and the arbitration process.

If he progresses the way that people think, a 23 year old Maitain could get a huge FA deal instead of perhaps entering his second year at the league minimum.

He has to be at least 25 to be not subject to international cap rules.

He's currently 17, not 20.

He'd have to be 25 now.

Yeah, considering he already has his original money, this would just be extra, so I don't think he would hold out until the next period to wait for more.

Something someone else who knows more than me can answer, but would he even be able to stay in the US if he doesn't sign with a team? I don't really understand how the visas or whatever else works for international players. Because if he can't, he is from Venezuela and I don't know if he would feel comfortable going back there knowing he is about to get another big payday. I mean Baseball America was withholding signing bonus numbers for Venezuelan prospects for much smaller amounts to protect them. Maitan would probably be a big target.

He's still 18. Probably won't be ready, and I'm not sure of the rules. If he only played there 3 years, I think he would still be subject to the amateur caps.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)

Maitan is a very long way away from the majors right now anyway, at least 4-5 years it's looking like.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Not too bad since he can collect another $3 million for his trouble. Really not awful.

No, but they already force them into a system that restricts how much they can make. He did that, and the team got in trouble for basically acknowledging he is worth much more and cheated to do so. Then they send him back again into that system. He's not in that class anymore, he's had 2-3 years in professional instruction and teams have been able to scout on same playing field. He should be a FA.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
He's currently 17, not 20.

Yes my bad, the international FA rule used to be 23 with 5 years professional experience, which I was basing the 23 on, which is obviously more than three years. It looks like they changed it to 25 with six years now.

So if the Ham Fighters want to give him an 8 year $50M deal that will expire as soon as he reaches free agency eligibility he could still make out really well. And if he busts, he has much more than the $3-$4M he is eligible to get under the international FA rules.