Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3569011:date=Oct 13, 2017 -> 06:16 PM:name=hi8is)-->
QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
<!--quotec-->Well, for starters - the title of that article is:

This article really provided nothing new. We all know there really isn't anything compared to this.

I mean, I disagree. Everything we've heard to date hasn't sounded that different than the Red Sox. So to keep hearing "this is much bigger" means there is either a much larger scale of the same thing or much bigger issues we don't know about.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
I mean, I disagree. Everything we've heard to date hasn't sounded that different than the Red Sox. So to keep hearing "this is much bigger" means there is either a much larger scale of the same thing or much bigger issues we don't know about.

The initial story sounded worse than Red Sox. The fact that the GM and another (forgot who) are out immediately kinda indicates that. Agree to disagree I suppose

Edited by soxfan2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-mlb-wra...estigation/amp/

There had been suggestions Hart was about to start interviewing new GM candidates, but that’s on hold until the investigation concludes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bl...ves-gm.amp.html

Alex Anthopoulos Reportedly Will Be Named Braves GM

Does this mean an announcement on Maitan is forthcoming?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think there is any reasonable punishment they can inflict that would make that an unattractive job.

It bothers me that MLB continues to set up rules so that breaking them continues to be advantageous even after getting caught. Per cardinals, what made it more serious was actual criminal charges brought. MLB's own punishment was laughable. Their punishment to Padres the same.

They basically say "okay do-over".

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think there is any reasonable punishment they can inflict that would make that an unattractive job.

Along this line of thinking, there are only 30 GM jobs, and one of them is off the table as having run AA out of town over a contract dispute from the sounds of it. Even if a guy has to suffer for a few years of penalties, he is going into a really young, upcoming and quality organization. They have tons of talent on the way, a new stadium about to open, and a megarich owner with a sweetheart of a TV deal.

I can't see passing up the Braves even if they get blasted on the international market.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
It bothers me that MLB continues to set up rules so that breaking them continues to be advantageous even after getting caught. Per cardinals, what made it more serious was actual criminal charges brought. MLB's own punishment was laughable. Their punishment to Padres the same.

They basically say "okay do-over".

Worth mentioning that with the Red Sox they not only punished them, but also cancelled the contracts of their ill-gotten gains

Their punishment was a slap on the wrist. Of course they shouldn't be able to sign the players they acquired only via breaking the rules.

Which is what I mean, when getting caught breaking the rules only means you have to start over, there is very little incentive not to just break them like crazy and hope you don't get caught.

The Atlanta Braves were apparently cheating so boldly that they had to replace all of their executive team, but will be punished so lightly that they get the top executive candidate to run a team that will almost certainly feature many players acquired through cheating.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Their punishment was a slap on the wrist. Of course they shouldn't be able to sign the players they acquired only via breaking the rules.

Which is what I mean, when getting caught breaking the rules only means you have to start over, there is very little incentive not to just break them like crazy and hope you don't get caught.

The Atlanta Braves were apparently cheating so boldly that they had to replace all of their executive team, but will be punished so lightly that they get the top executive candidate to run a team that will almost certainly feature many players acquired through cheating.

The Red Sox got locked out of the market for two years on top of losing their players. I would imagine if the Braves really were that much worse, they will see a heavier hand.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Sources: #Braves’ penalties will include loss of prospects. Story: https://t.co/37hSP0rcWr $

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/930986548073566208

Unfortunately have to be a subscriber to read full article. Tho hopefully maitan is one of the prospects.

Right before the article cuts off it does say Manfred hasn't determined which prospects would become free agents yet. It also says they would be subject to international bonus restrictions, so we'd be restricted to $300k. Seems like there are going to be a lot of prospects out there and not a ton of money to go around. Ohtani, Julio Pablo Martinez, Jelfry Marte, and whoever the Braves lose. I would think Martinez and Marte wait until next period to get more, but I feel like none of the current Braves guys would do that. They would basically be stuck without a team for half a year.

Sources: #Braves’ penalties will include loss of prospects. Story: https://t.co/37hSP0rcWr $

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/930986548073566208

Unfortunately have to be a subscriber to read full article. Tho hopefully maitan is one of the prospects.

Sox would have no shot at him with only $300k to throw his way.

It does say that losing Maitan is a possibility.

Sign Maitan, sign Otani, trade Avi for Lazarito/Luzardo+, best farm ever?

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
Sox would have no shot at him with only $300k to throw his way.

Would depend if they he is regular free agent or falls back under the international rules. Most he would be able to sign with a team now is 3 million. Could become a marketing thing for teams depending on if he only wants money or actually looks at the team as a whole.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 10:00 PM)
Would depend if they he is regular free agent or falls back under the international rules. Most he would be able to sign with a team now is 3 million. Could become a marketing thing for teams depending on if he only wants money or actually looks at the team as a whole.

The article stated he would be under international signing bonus restrictions. But you are right that most other teams also do not have money right now. There might a few weird signings to follow this offseason where money isn't the biggest determining factor.