Brewers nearing trade

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 07:02 PM)
I could see Braun wanting to come to the white sox. He is under contract til 2020. Do the brewers have a better chance at winning the world series in that time or do the white sox? There is also a mutual option for 2021 which if he is playing well he might want to stay and the sox would want to keep him. He would have a few years in our window. It depends on how he views the situation.

Honestly, do we want him as he had a very average year last year.

In general, no, no one wants Ryan Braun. The Brewers would be giving up talent that we'd actually want in order to convince us to take on Ryan Braun. We would be tolerating Ryan Braun, James Shields style.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these players aren't waiving no-trade clauses to sit on the White Sox bench...which is where they should be if the Sox trade for them.

No one ranked Burger where the Sox drafted him, so it looked to me like a reach for position...and if that's what they're doing they need to stop. Burdi would never have been selected (just like Tatis would have never been traded) were the Sox realistic with their chances in June 2016.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 04:26 PM)
these players aren't waiving no-trade clauses to sit on the White Sox bench...which is where they should be if the Sox trade for them.

No one ranked Burger where the Sox drafted him, so it looked to me like a reach for position...and if that's what they're doing they need to stop. Burdi would never have been selected (just like Tatis would have never been traded) were the Sox realistic with their chances in June 2016.

MLB.com had Burger as the number 16 player in the draft, so I wasn't that much of a reach. And he was the best bat available at that point, so I think he would've been the pick no matter what position he played.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
MLB.com had Burger as the number 16 player in the draft, so I wasn't that much of a reach. And he was the best bat available at that point, so I think he would've been the pick no matter what position he played.

Everyone agrees that Mayo doesn't know what he's talking about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 04:50 PM)
Ok, so one part of this does make some sense to me. Now that we're getting to the end of January with a market full of FAs who can legitimately make teams better, I was thinking that some of the teams that were close last year, maybe WC challenging teams, could come in and say "one player could legitimately put us in the playoffs now" and make a run at some of these guys. This still is not the case for the White Sox, but my mind went to teams like Arizona and Colorado, the NL wild card teams last year - they could legitimately think that one player could be the difference between a playoff appearance for them and a playoff miss. Once these guys stay out on the market long enough, teams like those will go ahead and make that one move.

The Brewers were one I didn't think of, but they fit in this boat also. It's complicated for them because several of the guys remaining are outfielders and the OF is where they're already strong, hence the crazy concepts here. It makes sense that the Brewers are a team pondering how to take advantage of where this market currently is.

On the other hand, everyone's sitting there watching how patient the Yankees and Astros were last season, with the Robertson/Frazier/Kahnle deal and Verlander move putting both those teams in much more competitive positions without having to overpay in the offseason (not to mention the cost savings of 3-4 months in terms of the budget).

Those more or less 8-12 teams in the middle are going to all be looking for a way to exploit the current market in whatever way they can. To the Brewers, the Cubs look a bit vulnerable in the pitching department. AZ and Colorado are both interesting cases, where they might lose Blackmon after next year, so they have to make a move in 2018. With AZ, they had arguably the most screwed up front office in MLB (Stewart/LaRussa) and a couple of atrocious trades, but they're still right there on the cusp because of how good Goldschmidt and their pitching staff were last year (the big question is whether Ray, Godley, Walker and Corbin can repeat).

On the plus side, the White Sox probably have more financial flexibility than any team in the majors. Shields is their only "bad" contract still on the books, and that's only temporary.

It's hard to see the Sox could help facilitate a Yelich trade for the Brewers. They both have corner outfielder prospects to trade. The Brewers don't have a good veteran to deal whom the Marlins wouldn't want, but another team might (and the Sox wouldn't anyway). Maybe if the Brewers were willing to move Brinson, and the Marlins wanted a larger volume of prospects, so the Sox could bundle up a few to the Marlins and get Brinson from the Brewers.

On the other hand, I could see the Sox needing a 3rd team if they wanted to use Abreu as the primary trade piece.

Edited by GreenSox

Not sure, but I think the same Brewer guy from the other night just posted Darvish to the Cubs.

Dan Welter‏

@Dan_Welter

I don’t mean to freak everyone out but the guy that claims ties to someone close to the Brewers on this forum that everyone holds in high regard just posted this:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f...076793#p1076793

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 01:58 AM)
Not sure, but I think the same Brewer guy from the other night just posted Darvish to the Cubs.

Seems pretty obvious and will likely be good for a few years and then completely fall apart. Theo will then just spend even more money to cover his mistakes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 07:09 PM)
Seems pretty obvious and will likely be good for a few years and then completely fall apart. Theo will then just spend even more money to cover his mistakes.

I get the Cubs kind of have no choice to go after him, but it would be something if this deal (+ Heyward) ends up preventing them from being able to extend Bryant or Rizzo.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 01:23 AM)
I get the Cubs kind of have no choice to go after him, but it would be something if this deal (+ Heyward) ends up preventing them from being able to extend Bryant or Rizzo.

Oh they will have plenty of money, and still I believe they will get Harper. When's the last time a Japanese pitcher performed well without injury into his mid-30s?

Iwakuma, Uehara, Kuroda and Nomo are the top 5 Japanese pitchers, arguably.

Along with Yu Darvish. One's a reliever. Iwakuma has been hurt the last couple of years. Kuroda might be the best argument, but he was far from a pure fireballer.

As Fathom said, it's not a lengthy list of guys who have gone even 5-7 years without a major injury, let alone 10+