2018 NFL off-season thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:05 AM)
I think you're seriously underestimating McDaniels here.

Tribune had a nice story of the Nagy, Pace, Ballard and McDaniels timelines and hiring. Gave praise to Phillips and McCaskey being involved in process wheich led to the quick higher. I know it's hindsigt but it seemed Pace felt McDaniels was not certain of leaving the Patriots.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:23 AM)
This. I'm totally on the boat that McDaniels is a scumbag for leading the Colts and his assistants on but the Colts got ahead of themselves as well.

What else can you do? The league rules say you can't hire the guy until his season is over, but you've gotten him to agree in every way but on paper. That's the way it's done every other time in the league. The Colts would have been equally foolish to say "We're hiring McDaniels but we're not going to hire a staff until that's official" when they would want to have a staff in place to start draft preparations for the last few weeks. This is how the business is conducted if it doesn't involve McDaniels.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
This. I'm totally on the boat that McDaniels is a scumbag for leading the Colts and his assistants on but the Colts got ahead of themselves as well.

Ballard from some accounts is kind of a slizeball too. Who knows though.

I can't really blame Ballard...I bet 95% of the time they make announcements before the deal is actually inked. It is probably standard operating procedure (once you get the "okay we are good", you move forward). Every once in a while, it will bite you. The Mcginnis one was on the Bears because they hadn't received the "okay" prior to announcing the deal...they were actually still negotiating. With McDaniels, negotations were done and he gave the go. He is still entitled to back out, etc (and he'll have to deal with those repercussions).

I can't see anything wrong with what Ballard has done and I think the gesture to stick by the coaches was the right one by the Colts org.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:04 PM)
Well, McDaniels will probably never be considered for an opening again.

The NFL forgets quickly if you have talent. I hate the guy and never want him near the Bears but in a couple years if he's not with the Pats someone will give him a job. I mean even Aaron Kromer has a job after punching a kid and he has way less talent than McDaniels.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:37 PM)
Well, McDaniels just got released by his agent, so its not just the Colts who are miffed.

Yeah, that tells me all I need to know about whether or not the Colts screwed something up on the process. Their only screwup was trying to hire that screwball.

ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo 2h2 hours ago Jimmy Garoppolo is now the highest paid player in the NFL, in terms of average annual cash value. Garoppolo will make $137.5M over the next 5 years, assuming his current contract is completed. That's more than Tom Brady earned in his first 14 seasons in the NFL ($135.4M).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 08:48 AM)
Yeah, that tells me all I need to know about whether or not the Colts screwed something up on the process. Their only screwup was trying to hire that screwball.

It doesn't really say anything. He and the agent have been off and on many times 9ver the years.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 06:38 AM)
The NFL forgets quickly if you have talent. I hate the guy and never want him near the Bears but in a couple years if he's not with the Pats someone will give him a job. I mean even Aaron Kromer has a job after punching a kid and he has way less talent than McDaniels.

He'll always have a job but head coach may be tough. Denver and Tennessee were not great and now the colts gig....lot of smoke there

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 06:53 PM)
49ers LB Reuben Foster arrested for domestic violence and possession of an assault rifle

But.. but... according to the media, Lynch robbed Pace blind and said he would've taken Foster even higher!

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 03:33 PM)
Bears decline Sitton.

seems strange given the fact that Kyle Long is never healthy anymore. Means one of a few things IMO. Bears go hard after Norwell. Bears draft Nelson...or Wynn or Hernandez with 2nd rounder. I saw in the nfl.com article they stated: "Cody Whitehair potentially available to take over Sitton's spot at left guard"....and my thought was "for the love of God...just leave Whitehair alone and at C. I don't even want to see Grasu on the roster next year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)
Bears had most $ committed to Guard in the league and were only getting average play. means that money has to count elsewhere, and not just buying crappy depth.

That’s tue, but they aren’t anywhere near the cap, and probably won’t be in 2018 either. They must think Sitton has slipped and won’t bounce back. because they are in no position to let good players go. He does seem to be banged up a lot of the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:39 PM)
That’s tue, but they aren’t anywhere near the cap, and probably won’t be in 2018 either. They must think Sitton has slipped and won’t bounce back. because they are in no position to let good players go. He does seem to be banged up a lot of the time.

I think it's a combo of him getting old and being injured a lot, along with a new coaching staff and a team that won't win the Super Bowl next year anyway. I think they would rather get a guy they might need 2 to 3 years from now they can integrate into their system.