Rays @ White Sox 4/11/18 1:10 PM

Jose Abreu

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:43 PM)
Of course, people really bought into him being long term?

There is no evidence that Rent-o-ria is anything but a good teacher of young players. None.

It seems like people are forgetting that there are 151 games after today. It sucks that they're in this rut but it happens to every team, regardless they need to get out of it soon. They've squandered a lot of opportunities this homestand

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 09:45 PM)
Fathom are you completely convinced Moncada is not an MLB player already? he only has had 300 ABs. When he starts to approach 700 ABs and he's still struggling like this then I'll get worried.

I definitely think he's a major leaguer, but I'm seeing no improvement at all so far. No clue on offspeed pitches and struggling to put fastball in play. As a righty, he's not big league quality. Im very disappointed in his hit tool so far. He has no idea how to stay alive down in the count

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
That is very much false.

It would be very bad. But if Eloy is a franchise changing type piece, saying "It wouldn't matter what Eloy does" just isn't true.

Eloy would have to be the second coming of Frank to be a franchise changing piece. It is pretty hard for a DH to be that guy, and I think 2-3 seasons into his career that is what Eloy will be.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 09:50 PM)
Eloy would have to be the second coming of Frank to be a franchise changing piece. It is pretty hard for a DH to be that guy, and I think 2-3 seasons into his career that is what Eloy will be.

But is an all star 2b really that huge of a piece? Kopech is the guy who can make or break it, IMO

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
It seems like people are forgetting that there are 151 games after today. It sucks that they're in this rut but it happens to every team, regardless they need to get out of it soon. They've squandered a lot of opportunities this homestand

I dont think every team loses every game of a 6 game homstand during their. I'd say were likely to be 1 of about 2 or 3 teams, if that

it's just bad managing from Renteria. As noted, why are you doing a squeeze with the slowest guy in your lineup? Moreover, why are you asking a kid, with limited experience that is already swimming up there at the plate, to execute something he probably has done less than 3-4 times in his entire baseball career?

It's not putting guys in a position to succeed. You can expect players to 100% execute or imo you can be pragmatic and realize their weaknesses. Bad on Ricky imo. Very bad. Disheartening that he is still so bad tactically imo.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:54 PM)
Should be a free run if you have a guy who can actually get the bunt down.

Sox have proven they have few if any guys who can actually put a bunt down though lol

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 08:54 PM)
it's just bad managing from Renteria. As noted, why are you doing a squeeze with the slowest guy in your lineup? Moreover, why are you asking a kid, with limited experience that is already swimming up there at the plate, to execute something he probably has done less than 3-4 times in his entire baseball career?

It's not putting guys in a position to succeed. You can expect players to 100% execute or imo you can be pragmatic and realize their weaknesses. Bad on Ricky imo. Very bad. Disheartening that he is still so bad tactically imo.

Especially if you know an offspeed pitch is likely

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:51 PM)
But is a all star 2b really that huge of a piece? Kopech is the guy who can make or break it, IMO

If he turns into "Cano with speed" as he was advertised when he got traded to us, yes. 25-35 HR, .280-300 avg, 25-35 SB. That is a star. That is what I hope he is eventually. I don't think Kopech is anything more than a closer anyway. I don't think he has the starter's mentality.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:54 PM)

If hes coming home on the pitch its pretty much a run as long as it isn't back at the pitcher.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 08:55 PM)
If he turns into "Cano with speed" as he was advertised when he got traded to us, yes. 25-35 HR, .280-300 avg, 25-35 SB. That is a star. That is what I hope he is eventually. I don't think Kopech is anything more than a closer anyway. I don't think he has the starter's mentality.

He's never going to use his speed like we thought. And he can only pray to have anything close to Cabo's hit tool