Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Bringing in a different front office is an entirely different debate.  We are losing lots of games right now which is part of the plan.  That has been communicated to our fan base by our front office.  It will take a couple years, which has also been communicated.  This is no different than what the Cubs said & did and I don’t recall anyone calling their rough years as embarrassing.  Sure, a lot of fans temporarily lost interest in the team, but that’s only natural.  But for some reason, a relatively large group of fans here despise the rebuild but can’t help watching it anyways.  Our 2018 season is exactly what a 1st/2nd year rebuilding year looks like.  If you guys can’t handle it, please take some time off.  Developing multiple young players at once is not always going to be fun and right now we’re still trying out a bunch of fringe major-leaguers.  Take a few weeks or even months off and come back when some of the ugliness has passed.  It won’t make you any lesser of a fan.  I can fully appreciate how enduring it is to watch this team on a daily basis.

Totally agree with the second half and overall sentiment of your post.  But as to the Cubs experience:  I knew a lot of die-hard Cub fans who were very impatient throughout their rebuild, and I'm sure there are Cub message boards with 2014 archives that look a lot like the dark corners of Soxtalk today.  I remember a lot of griping when the Cubs lost out on Tanaka.  When Javy Baez, their first big prospect to arrive, was setting strikeout records there was widespread talk of him being a bust.  There was considerable angst on sports talk radio toward the end of the rebuild about how long things were taking, and news stories showing scads of empty seats at supposedly sold-out Cubs games in 2014.  It's easy to forget all of that, just like these low points will hopefully be unmemorable blips if/when the rebuild starts to get traction at the major league level.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Well, if you’re still holding out hope for a top 2 pick, this is your weekend to be a Royals fan. 

I’m expecting a Sox sweep of the Royals. Being bad and on the road right before the break usually means bad baseball. 

Matt Davidson has to be seriously licking his chops right now seeing them on the schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:52 AM, SonofaRoache said:

You have some great points. The problem is we care about baseball so much and there is no other sport to care about until September. It's not easy to just take time off. I think another issue is Moncada and Anderson are probably the only two guys who will be a regular during our competing years. Lopez and maybe Gio will be as well. So we're watching a bunch of guys who won't be here suck it up. I'd rather have our fans vent and complain to endure these times than for them to lose interest and become Cubs fans. 

At least fans who are angry and frustrated still care, otherwise they wouldn't be angry or frustrated in the first place. There's something to be said for that...the worst possible thing for any franchise is for the fan base to basically become apathetic and not give a damn at all. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

They don't care enough to go, but they sure care enough to seek out places to complain about not wanting to go. 

What is the benefit of supporting a team with hard earned money that doesn’t care about having a chance at closing games, winning in general and is holding Jimenez and Kopech back?

Will it compel the Sox to pursue Machado or Harper if attendance climbs to 20,000+ per game from 18,500?  One would think not.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

They don't care enough to go, but they sure care enough to seek out places to complain about not wanting to go. 

Complaining is free. Going to a game to watch your team tank with players who won't be here soon costs money. I go to at least 10 games a year but I can't fault fans for not showing up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

At least fans who are angry and frustrated still care, otherwise they wouldn't be angry or frustrated in the first place. There's something to be said for that...the worst possible thing for any franchise is for the fan base to basically become apathetic and not give a damn at all. 

Blackhawks fans were apathetic and didn't give a damn yet somehow they fill the stadium like crazy now.

The Sox dont have the biggest fan base as it is, gonna look bleak at times now, but that first playoff game will be sold out. Hopefully it's in 2020, not 2030

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Blackhawks fans were apathetic and didn't give a damn yet somehow they fill the stadium like crazy now.

The Sox dont have the biggest fan base as it is, gonna look bleak at times now, but that first playoff game will be sold out. Hopefully it's in 2020, not 2030

With all the injuries, the missed developmental time I'm thinking more 2021 or 2022.

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

With all the injuries, the missed developmental time I'm thinking more 2021 or 2022.

Injuries are an excuse.  Fulmer, Lopez and Giolito  weren't injured; if they had developed, or 2 of them, things would be on track. Add Moncada and Anderson. That is the first-wave core. No injuries.

Edited by GreenSox

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Injuries are an excuse.  Fulmer, Lopez and Giolito  weren't injured; if they had developed, or 2 of them, things would be on track. Add Moncada and Anderson. That is the first-wave core. No injuries.
They'll have to come up with something better - like a 2nd wave core that dominates.
Or move out of the way.

Yep so far it's been poor development and/or scouting of some of the guys who were expected to be key contributors.  Really need Yoan to be actually good and one of Giolito/Lopez to be reliable.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Injuries are an excuse.  Fulmer, Lopez and Giolito  weren't injured; if they had developed, or 2 of them, things would be on track.  Bad pitching really magnifies things but they have time to make up for it.
I would say that the FP should be replaced if we don't see major progress by 2020...but it should have been replaced in 2016, so expecting accountability is just howling at the moon.

Yes sir. 2020 will be year 4 of the rebuild. The Cubs were able to go deep into the playoffs during year 4 of their rebuild. We should be expecting something similar.

The Sox need to spend some money to make this happen though. They need to throw a 100 million plus at Patrick Corbin this offseason. I would also give Nolan Arenado a blank check and let him name his price.

I think a top5 pick should be pretty sure but I don't quite see top3. The padres and orioles just gave up much more at the deadline and should falter even more. Marlins also have the potential to get much worse when they trade some relievers or realmuto.

I could see the sox "beating out" the royals or tigers but not a sure thing either.