Shields attracting trade interest

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I think Shields has more value to the Sox than another team. Having Shields here prevents the Sox from forcing Kopech or Stephens to be called up before their time. If one of those guys shows they are ready then Shields is simply released.

Stephens time should be like....now.  He isn't that young.  Rotation spots are going to be harder to come by next season when we already have Rodon, Kopech, Lopez and Gio locked into the rotation with Dunning, Fulmer and Covey right there and some fringe guys and guys a bit further away also in line.  I think its best to get Stephens some starts now to see what we have. 

If it were up to me, I'd roll with a Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Covey and Stephens rotation the rest of this season once we can dump Shields.  

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a B- type.  If you go lower than that you're just getting A ball no names or Saladino types.  You package shields with someone else to get to that level.  If they ask for Avi, who cares.  If they ask for Yolmer, you ask for more.

Rutherford was considered a B+ guy when the Sox got him and they got him for two months of Todd Frazier and two very fungible relievers (as we've seen this year).  It's not going to take much to get a B- type.

I mean.....Robertson and Kahnle were a tad more than "fungible relievers" when they were dealt. 

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Stephens time should be like....now.  He isn't that young.  Rotation spots are going to be harder to come by next season when we already have Rodon, Kopech, Lopez and Gio locked into the rotation with Dunning, Fulmer and Covey right there and some fringe guys and guys a bit further away also in line.  I think its best to get Stephens some starts now to see what we have. 

If it were up to me, I'd roll with a Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Covey and Stephens rotation the rest of this season once we can dump Shields.  

Nah, Stephens should be up when he forces the issue. His timeline has been pushed back starting in '14 with TJ surgery and again last year when he missed the first two months with elbow tendinitis. He only logged 91.2 innings last year because of the tendinitis so by no means should he be pushed to the majors. When he's ready, and I believe he will be at some point this season, Shields can be released to make room for him. Until then let him continue to get more starts in Charlotte, he's only had five of them anyway.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean.....Robertson and Kahnle were a tad more than "fungible relievers" when they were dealt. 

They were great assets for a club in the playoff hunt no doubt but long term value on each wasn't much, like almost all relievers.  But I agree that they were very good for the Yankees last year and the Sox are unlikely to have such assets available this year at the deadline, at least out of the pen.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, if you have a really shitty 5th starter and you're in a dogfight and the asking price is like Basabe you have to consider it.  

What’s funny is I was thinking of Basabe when you said B prospect and I was like “fuck no” not for James Shields 😜.  We got Ta’Quin Forbes for Miguel Gonzalez, I wouldn’t expect much for Shields.  A C- maybe if we eat most of the contract.

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They were great assets for a club in the playoff hunt no doubt but long term value on each wasn't much, like almost all relievers.  But I agree that they were very good for the Yankees last year and the Sox are unlikely to have such assets available this year at the deadline, at least out of the pen.

Kahnle + Robertson + Frazier >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> James Shields

Edited by Chicago White Sox

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s funny is I was thinking of Basabe when you said B prospect and I was like “fuck no” not for James Shields 😜.  We got Ta’Quin Forbes for Miguel Gonzalez, I wouldn’t expect much for Shields.  A C- maybe if we eat most of the contract.

Honestly I'd rather keep him and have him eat innings then get some organization 30th ranked prospect and pretend it's something.

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, if you have a really shitty 5th starter and you're in a dogfight and the asking price is like Basabe you have to consider it.  

Why? I'd consider internal options or the waiver wire before shields. Shields is a shitty 5th starter. His xFIP is 5.11.

If you have a real bad 5th starter you are looking for a significant upgrade not Shields.

11 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You're a GM of a playoff contender and have to win games. Do you want James Shields on the mound for you?

He's 10-25 with a 5.61 era since the Sox traded for him. This is over 3 seasons and he's now 36, can't see anyone really wanting him.

15 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Nah, Stephens should be up when he forces the issue. His timeline has been pushed back starting in '14 with TJ surgery and again last year when he missed the first two months with elbow tendinitis. He only logged 91.2 innings last year because of the tendinitis so by no means should he be pushed to the majors. When he's ready, and I believe he will be at some point this season, Shields can be released to make room for him. Until then let him continue to get more starts in Charlotte, he's only had five of them anyway.

Meh.  Don't really get the kid gloves approach with fringey SP prospect that likely ends up in the pen and will be 26 soon.  I'm fine with them waiting until a rotation spot opens whether that is due to injury or Shields getting moved/released/demoted to pen, but he should be next in line. 

7 hours ago, tpezz27 said:

He's 10-25 with a 5.61 era since the Sox traded for him. This is over 3 seasons and he's now 36, can't see anyone really wanting him.

For sure. Depending on James Shields to pitch well to get you to the playoffs is like depending on winning the lottery to pay your mortgage. Not such a sound strategy. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

For sure. Depending on James Shields to pitch well to get you to the playoffs is like depending on winning the lottery to pay your mortgage. Not such a sound strategy. 

So you're saying they've got a chance? (can't resist bad movie quotes)