6/28 Games - Stephens/Hansen/Martinez

bmags

• bmags pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Gavin Sheets HR! Number 3.

I know a lot of people are down on Sheets because of the lack of power (and rightfully so), but I remain cautiously optimistic due to the elite plate discipline.  We all know the raw power is there, the Sox development people just need to find a way for Gavin to tap into it.  

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know a lot of people are down on Sheets because of the lack of power (and rightfully so), but I remain cautiously optimistic due to the elite plate discipline.  We all know the raw power is there, the Sox development people just need to find a way for Gavin to tap into it.  

What about his .270 average and .360 obp as a 22 year old in high a screams "elite"?

2 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

What about his .270 average and .360 obp as a 22 year old in high a screams "elite"?

Lol...are you actually suggesting 22 is old for High A?  Regardless, a 12% BB rate & a 16% K rate is pretty good for a guy with 70 grade raw power.  Maybe elite was too strong of a word, but the kid has demonstrated plus plate discipline no matter how you slice it.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...are you actually suggesting 22 is old for High A?  Regardless, a 12% BB rate & a 16% K rate is pretty good for a guy with 70 grade raw power.  Maybe elite was too strong of a word, but the kid has demonstrated plus plate discipline no matter how you slice it.

I'm suggesting its age appropriate and there is nothing that screams elite to me in regards to his plate discipline. Collins is what I would call elite. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why wouldn’t he be fully healthy and why would you want to trade him?

I've long thought he would be the guy the Sox use as a trade chip out of all their starters.  Wanted him as the key piece in a possible Yelich deal this last offseason.

2 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'm suggesting its age appropriate and there is nothing that screams elite to me in regards to his plate discipline. Collins is what I would call elite. 

Players who walk in 20%+ of their plate appearances are far rarer than "elite". You're talking hitters like Barry Bonds, Frank Thomas, Babe Ruth, these hitters did it in seasons of their career. Bonds managed a career 20.3% walk rate thanks to the incredible amount of walks he took near the end of his career, but he was also worth 164 WAR in his career. That's a little higher than elite.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why wouldn’t he be fully healthy and why would you want to trade him?

Yeah man, no chance I would trade Hansen. His ceiling, four pitch repertoire and a lack of TJ surgery prevents me from entertaining the idea. But I admit I am bias due to him being my favorite pitching prospect. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Players who walk in 20%+ of their plate appearances are far rarer than "elite". You're talking hitters like Barry Bonds, Frank Thomas, Babe Ruth, these hitters did it in seasons of their career. Bonds managed a career 20.3% walk rate thanks to the incredible amount of walks he took near the end of his career, but he was also worth 164 WAR in his career. That's a little higher than elite.

So now we're putting Collins in the Barry bonds, big hurt, and babe Ruth category? Good to know. 

Just now, Hot FiRe said:

So now we're putting Collins in the Barry bonds, big hurt, and babe Ruth category? Good to know. 

No, I'm saying expecting 20%+ walk rates to deem someone's plate discipline/eye elite is unreasonable. I doubt Collins will walk at a 20%+ rate at the MLB level.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I've long thought he would be the guy the Sox use as a trade chip out of all their starters.  Wanted him as the key piece in a possible Yelich deal this last offseason.

I really like Hansen, but I could see it happening.  Kopech is going nowhere, the org seems super high on Cease now, and Dunning probably has the highest floor in the ceiling if healthy.  I could see Hansen being the odd man out if they can add a cost controlled star.

• bmags unpinned this topic