8/28 Games

joejoedairy

42 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Medeiros 6IP 5H 3R 1ER 1BB 8K 98 pitches 68 strikes 

That's a heck of a start by Medeiros.

I really like him. I have zero idea why everyone writes him off as a LOOGY. I think he could stick in the rotation. Reminds me of a poor man's Chris Sale. 

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Hansen goes south, pretty much all of our "high/sky's the limit upside" 2nd round draft guys like Beck, Adams and now Hansen will have turned out to be much ado about nothing.

I know he doesn't miss many bats, which is concerning, but Adams isn't doing all that bad in AAA. Can we not write him off just yet?

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

why are they delaying Hansens inevitable surgery?

I agree. Do not understand it. You don't go from leading the minor leagues in strikeouts to not being able to throw strikes all of a sudden. Kid has GOT to be hurt.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I agree. Do not understand it. You don't go from leading the minor leagues in strikeouts to not being able to throw strikes all of a sudden. Kid has GOT to be hurt.

It’s not like it hasn’t happened to him before.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really like him. I have zero idea why everyone writes him off as a LOOGY. I think he could stick in the rotation. Reminds me of a poor man's Chris Sale. 

Same here. He's a lefty and only 22 years old so I see no reason to write him off as a LOOGY. That slider reminds me alot of Chris Sale's, it's absolutely wicked.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Has anyone who were as good as Hansen, became just as bad as currently, and bounce back to become good again? It’s pretty bizarre what’s happening to him right now.

This is what he did at Oklahoma and he got fixed temporarily.  The fact his fix lasted a whole year gives me hope.  None of us no if it is physical, mental or both.  My joke earlier was my guess/hope it is not a serious physical issue but either can be tough to overcome.  I sure hope he gets it back and keeps it as he was looking like a huge steal and big part of the rebuild.  

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Has anyone who were as good as Hansen, became just as bad as currently, and bounce back to become good again? It’s pretty bizarre what’s happening to him right now.

Roy Halliday and Cliff Lee both imploded and came back.  Past results do not indicate future results, however.

49 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Roy Halliday and Cliff Lee both imploded and came back.  Past results do not indicate future results, however.

It does not in absolute terms, but baseball analysis is about looking at past trends and trying to project the future. Neither Hallady or Lee had nearly the control issues Hansen is having.

13 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Same here. He's a lefty and only 22 years old so I see no reason to write him off as a LOOGY. That slider reminds me alot of Chris Sale's, it's absolutely wicked.

It could be a hell of a scouting job by Sox brass. It wouldn't surprise me if Medeiros started to sneak into the back end of the T100 midseason 2019. 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:25 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I hope it doesn't deter them from continuing to draft those types though. They need to continue to take those risks in the 2nd-3rd round. Eventually, they'll hit on some. 

One player won't stop them from taking players like Hansen. Guy was arguable 1st round talent and fell in that draft. Who knows what's really going on with him. Clearly something is still wrong. That long layoff and injury royally screwed with his mechanics.