Braves sign Donaldson to 1 yr 23M deal pending physical

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I believe the White Sox have a younger, internal option in Yolmer Sanchez that can provide similar, if not better value than Mike Moustakas over the next two seasons. Additionally, seeing as the White Sox probably won't be competitive until 2020 at the earliest, the addition of "Moose" seems to make little sense for the White Sox organization. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see any reason to have Yolmer as the starting 3rd baseman moving forward. We know what he is at this point. A good utility guy. Not a MLB caliber starting 3rd baseman.

Edited by Whitesox27
  • Thanks 1

Dodgers $204 M 25/$8.35 B 2014 2038 100% LINK
Angels $118 M 20/$3 B 2012 2031 25% LINK
Yankees $98 M 30/$5.7 B 2013 2042 20% LINK
Red Sox $80 M   2006   80% LINK
Mariners $76 M 18/$1.8 B 2014 2031 71% LINK
Cubs $65 M   2004 2019 20% LINK
Phillies $60 M 25/$2.5 B 2016 2040 25% LINK
Astros $60 M 20/$1.6 B 2013 2032 No LINK
Rangers $56 M 20/$1.6 B 2015 2034 10% LINK
Tigers $55 M 10/$500 M 2009 2018 No LINK
Giants $54 M 25/$1.75 B 2008 2032 30% LINK
White Sox $51 M   2004 2019 20% LINK

The White Sox ALREADY have the 12th biggest t.v. contract, despite the fact that the last five years have in-arguably been a complete debacle.

So let's go with the worst-case scenario...a Mariners (who spent BIGLY with their Root Sports windfall, only to see it fail to payoff) or Pirates-style franchise implosion.

Only 4 ways to avoid it:

1)  Our Top 50 prospects become the perennial All-Stars they were projected to be, at the very least, 3-4 of them.

2)  Sign Harper or Machado (and Harper's the ONLY one, arguably, who has the power individually to elevate the t.v. rights deal beyond basically an extension at roughly a 5-10% increase)...put another way, why would our CURRENT broadcast partners have any reason to significantly invest (or increase) their investment unless any of these 4 events were to occur before the 2020 season?

3)  Trade for Arenado and get him to sign an in-season long-term extension (extremely low probability event, unless he also has a Sox family connection.)

4)  The perfect combination of "under the radar" veteran acquisitions at bargain prices, international free agents over 25 and trading prospects for major league ready talent (the equivalent talent injections of Floyd/Danks/Ramirez/Quentin).

Also:  note the current pressure on the Mariners, Rangers, Tigers and Giants to live up to their t.v. contracts.  All those franchises are under duress, particularly SEA, TEX and DET.

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't believe for a second that a TV network is waiting to see how many games this team wins in 2019.  These negotiations have most likely being going on for quite a while now by the interested parties.  The Sox entered this tank knowing full well that their TV deal ended at the end of this year, which means they also weren't too worried about this affecting their TV deal longer term.  If they were really worried about it, they would have known two years ago that this team was still going to be mediocre to bad this year, and wouldn't have engaged in this team building strategy.

Is it really so hard to believe that ramping up right before the TV contract is due wasn't part of the plan all along? To go into a rebuild without that in mind would be pretty shortsighted. Maybe you just aren't giving the Sox front office enough credit while proselytizing what you personally think was the plan all along.

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is it really so hard to believe that ramping up right before the TV contract is due wasn't part of the plan all along? To go into a rebuild without that in mind would be pretty shortsighted. Maybe you just aren't giving the Sox front office enough credit while proselytizing what you personally think was the plan all along.

There is no way the Sox tore everything down and traded players with 5 years left on their deals for minor leaguers so they could be good in two years.  The math doesn't even come close to working.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is no way the Sox tore everything down and traded players with 5 years left on their deals for minor leaguers so they could be good in two years.  The math doesn't even come close to working.

Keep on believing that if you want to. Besides it won't be 2 years this will be the 3rd year of the rebuild where we should need to see significant progress on building a future team . I truly believe you're not giving anything Hahn has said about spending money when the right free agents are available any credit whatsoever. Maybe my math is different from yours and apparently I am not the only one doing the math this way.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

These TV deals are long term. While it probably helps the team is really good and popular from the outset, the parties negotiating look at this long term. It's not imperative the Sox win 90 games in 2019 to max out.

Maybe not imperative but could make a difference in the millions of dollars. Mariners went from $450M over 10 years to $2 billion over 17  years. That's over 4 times the money with less than 2 times the years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
fix typo

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Keep on believing that if you want to. Besides it won't be 2 years this will be the 3rd year of the rebuild where we should need to see significant progress on building a future team . I truly believe you're not giving anything Hahn has said about spending money when the right free agents are available any credit whatsoever. Maybe my math is different from yours and apparently I am not the only one doing the math this way.

Right. Plus the timelines people are using are timelines with teams that didn't get 10 or 11 prospects, many top 100  for 3 players. This rebuild should be in high gear right now. Not with division crowns per se, but some competitive baseball.