Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Why that stance on Burger? Just not impressed and the injury?

The injuries (gotta go plural here). Not only losing a full year of development time for a guy who needed it, but that damage is going to hamper him physically for a while, maybe permanently. Reminds me of Jared Mitchell in a way - he was showing promise and having a really good spring training, then he utterly destroyed his leg, even when he came back the next year he never recovered fully, and when you combined that with the lost development time he was never able to recover. Burger might recover, but that's such a long road back that I'll be seriously and pleasantly surprised if he ever looks like a legit big leaguer in our organization.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The injuries (gotta go plural here). Not only losing a full year of development time for a guy who needed it, but that damage is going to hamper him physically for a while, maybe permanently. Reminds me of Jared Mitchell in a way - he was showing promise and having a really good spring training, then he utterly destroyed his leg, even when he came back the next year he never recovered fully, and when you combined that with the lost development time he was never able to recover. Burger might recover, but that's such a long road back that I'll be seriously and pleasantly surprised if he ever looks like a legit big leaguer in our organization.

Jared Mitchell was a speed based player and a poor comparison.  Burger’s injury may prevent him from sticking at 3B but he still has the ability to potentially hit enough for 1B or DH.  Way too early to write him off.

• Thanks 1

If Machado goes to NYY and Harper goes to LAD, is there any hope for smaller teams and smaller market teams to ever get the big fish? White Sox are a big city team but are 2nd rate to the baseball community and the Phillies are in a similar boat. Both had all the money to offer the best contract to each player. I can't imagine there will be better circumstances for a team like the White Sox, Phillies, Padres, etc to sign one of these players. I feel like this is just bad for baseball

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You're so obsessed with me that it's actually hilarious. I ignore you, please, try your hardest to not let me consume any more real estate in your head. 

Thanks man, have a Happy Holidays. 

You said I was full of it last night. Nice try though. Take a look back at how the posts aged. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jared Mitchell was a speed based player and a poor comparison.  Burger’s injury may prevent him from sticking at 3B but he still has the ability to potentially hit enough for 1B or DH.  Way too early to write him off.

The injuries were also to different tendons with drastically different structures.  Burgers injury has a really good success rate, although the second one throws a variable there. Mitchell's was to a tendon which is important to the stability of the foot and would cause problems with any running or planting the foot. His was much more serious.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The injuries were also to different tendons with drastically different structures.  Burgers injury has a really good success rate, although the second one throws a variable there. Mitchell's was to a tendon which is important to the stability of the foot and would cause problems with any running or planting the foot. His was much more serious.

Thanks for sharing...did not know that about Mitchell.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

How can he sell the Sox when he hasn't actually played for them? He likely knows as much about the Sox as Manny does after his Manny's day of meeting with them (maybe less).

I would imagine he would be, and almost certainly already has, been selling the Sox but more or less selling the idea of playing together and living near each other in Chicago. You're right, he doesn't know the clubhouse or the staff or the facility yet, but hopefully the idea of the family sticking together helps.

If you want to know why people don't take the Sox seriously, this might answer it. If this is the industry consensus, then maybe everyone who thought Hahn was the wrong guy for the job after 2016 were correct. 

Sobering. It's time to wake up and smell the roses: Nobody, not even their own fanbase,  thinks the Sox are doing anything special for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you want to know why people don't take the Sox seriously, this might answer it. If this is the industry consensus, then maybe everyone who thought Hahn was the wrong guy for the job after 2016 were correct. 

He's a Sox fan, not a national guy.  With that said, I came very close to posting that exact tweet earlier and saying I couldn't agree more.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He's a Sox fan, not a national guy.  With that said, I came very close to posting that exact tweet earlier and saying I couldn't agree more.

I know he is, which makes it even more important. If even the Sox fanbase can't see them doing anything anytime soon, then how can you expect a marquee free agent to think of Hahn as anything more than a snake oil salesman?

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know he is, which makes it even more important. If even the Sox fanbase can't see them doing anything anytime soon, then how can you expect a marquee free agent to think of Hahn as anything more than a snake oil salesman? 

By offering a lot of money

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think the instant success of players like Acuna, Buehler, Judge, Andujar, Soto, Albies, and others have clouded people's idea of a patience with young players. It's possible Giolito and Moncada never pan out, but it's entirely too early to decide that, especially since we are still waiting on another 5-6 blue chip prospects to come up still.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think the instant success of players like Acuna, Buehler, Judge, Andujar, Soto, Albies, and others have clouded people's idea of a patience with young players. It's possible Giolito and Moncada never pan out, but it's entirely too early to decide that, especially since we are still waiting on another 5-6 blue chip prospects to come up still.

Thank you . It's utter nonsense to draw any conclusions at the moment. Has the shine  worn off? Of course it has however  in the case of baseball players the shine can come back.

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The only player the Sox have that was ever as highly rated as Giolito and Moncada is Eloy. All three of them were at least rated 65, with some outlets at one point rating Giolito and Moncada as a 70. 

Giolito and Moncada were rated 65 at the time they were traded here. 

Kopech was rated a 60 at his highest, while everyone else in the system is a 50/55 at best. After his injury, Kopech has been downgraded to a 55. Even Cease is a 50/55 at the most optimistic outlets on him. 

God forbid Eloy comes up in mid-April and is hitting.220 or .230  on Memorial Day, as SoxTalk and other diehards would be on suicide watch. 

The Sale/Eaton trades have come up empty so far. There is a shitload of time for that to change, but as of right now there are exactly zero players you can pencil in to the Sox lineup or rotation for the next half decade, and that is not good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Absolutely. People expect results immediately and are quick to apply the bust label if the player doesn't perform to their expectations. There are so many great examples of players having mediocre results through the first few years of their careers only to turn it on later once they develop and get older. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know what your definition of a blue chip prospect is, but to me the guy has to be at least a 60 FV to be a blue chipper. Eloy is the only guy the Sox have that currently has that type of rating. 

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't disagree with you, which is why I believe the window will be short and shut quickly if it works. Think Royals instead of Cubs/Astros. It will be like a great comet. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, this is mostly my stance now too. I just feel like if we miss out on one of the big two and can't use them to attract another guy or two next year, then the ceiling of the rebuild is basically a slightly above average team that makes the playoffs a few times because we are in a week division. I just feel like we never reached that critical mass of talent that Hahn liked to talk about. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic