Dodgers & Reds trade (Kemp, Puig, & Wood to CIN, Bailey, Josiah Gray & Jeter Downs to LA)

Sleepy Harold

Just now, beckham15 said:

Because now that he is waived he can go sign with anyone he wants to, that’s why

Well, actually, he can sign with any team that wants him, which may be none.  He has thrown 231 innings in the last 4 years with a 6.25 ERA.  I don't think teams are going to be beating down the door. 

Just now, turnin' two said:

Well, actually, he can sign with any team that wants him, which may be none.  He has thrown 231 innings in the last 4 years with a 6.25 ERA.  I don't think teams are going to be beating down the door. 

Either way he’s still getting paid, someone will take a flyer on him come spring training 

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I for one appreciate the optimism, but it's all but done. Harper will be a dodger, there's no reason they would trade Puig to sign pollock. Dodgers/Harper is all but confirmed. And I highly doubt machado signs with us. RaBBit was right. They wait their whole careers for this moment, and they aren't going to sign with a rebuilding white sox

Why do they need to add another OF though?  Berlinger, Pederson, Taylor, Toles, & Verdugo is a pretty nice group.  Puig & Kemp were their two weekest OFs last year, taking up payroll and eating up roster spots.  This makes sense regardless of Harper or not.

As for who these guys will sign with, it almost always come down to money and don’t let the national media convince you otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense, but you have no idea what you’re talking about and multiple people on this site who actully have connections have confirmed we’ve made massive offers to both guys.  But keep hating bro.

No offense taken, you're a nobody on a message board.

Until they sign someone to a contract larger than $68 million, I am firmly in the "Well, we tried guys" camp when this is all said and done. Having interest and actually putting pen to paper is two very different things. Until it happens, I am on the skeptical side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do they need to add another OF though?  Berlinger, Pederson, Taylor, Toles, & Verdugo is a pretty nice group.  Puig & Kemp were their two weekest OFs last year, taking up payroll and eating up roster spots.  This makes sense regardless of Harper or not.

As for who these guys will sign with, it almost always come down to money and don’t let the national media convince you otherwise.

That group of outfielders is a little bit above average imo, the only guys above 4 WAR is Bellinger and Taylor. And I think RaBBit was right when he said this probably wasn't going to come down to money and it will more or less be about who they want to play for. If Harper was going to sign with the sox I think it already would've been done

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which fits Friedman’s MO.

FWIW, as a matter of making baseball moves here everything you've said about them already having a number of outfielders is right, and the money still doesn't add up if they actually want to stay out of the tax just yet, but if I were in their shoes I'd probably be willing to make exceptions for the right player to every one of those. 

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

That group of outfielders is a little bit above average imo, the only guys above 4 WAR is Bellinger and Taylor. And I think RaBBit was right when he said this probably wasn't going to come down to money and it will more or less be about who they want to play for. If Harper was going to sign with the sox I think it already would've been done

With a Scott Boras negotiation? Even if the White Sox have a 10/$400 offer and no one comes close to that, he'd probably sit there and wait - either he'd hope that someone else might enter the game or he'd hope that the White Sox would bid against themselves a little bit to make sure the deal got done. There's been no reason to believe that any of the current suitors for Harper would drop out or that the market would dry up, even if Machado signed - which we know he wasn't going to do while touring sites. 

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, The Dodgers were about $14 million under the tax line before this deal, so counting the $7 million they're sending along with these 3 players, all of whom are on 1 year deals, if they want to stay beneath the tax they can't sign anyone with an average value over $33 million unless they make other moves.

You might want do a refresher on the rules if you're going to speak so matter of factually on this. People might parrot your thoughts on the rules thinking they're accurate but they're not. 

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Berlinger, Taylor, & Pederson combined for 9.4 fWAR (3.1 each) last year.  Harper had 3.5.  I think Bryce is a better player than that, but is he worth $40M+ in the short-term for what might end being only a moderate upgrade.  I just can’t see Friedman doing that, but I know I’m in the minority on this one.