Sox Sign Jon Jay; 1 year/$4 mil, Charlie Tilson DFA'd

soxfan49

Just now, GreenSox said:

$4 million for a .678 OPS?  He earned $3 million last year off of a .749 OPS.  More shrewd negotiation from Hahn.

Career .729 (and that is with his best year as his first), 36 homers in 9 seasons.

Don't let anyone ever say that they can't afford Machado when they throw away $4 million like this.

It’s easy to cherry pick OPS for a guy who doesn’t hit for power and ignore that he’s already our best OBP player on the whole team, I guess 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

$4 million for a .678 OPS?  He earned $3 million last year off of a .749 OPS.  More shrewd negotiation from Hahn.

Career .729 (and that is with his best year as his first), 36 homers in 9 seasons.

Don't let anyone ever say that they can't afford Machado when they throw away $4 million like this.

Sticking with the theme tonight...

297.png

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Eh... he got injured. Took half the season away from him.

I was gonna suggest they could always put Eloy in RF (which he's played most of his minor league career) and have either Delmonico or Palka in LF and the other DH but I completely forgot about the Alonso trade. Gonna be interesting to see what Hahn and company does.

Look at his Statcast data.  Very good batter’s eye, but the quality of contact is well below average.  I’m not completely writing him off, but you don’t hand a fringe guy like him a full time role after his half season last year.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, most predictable post of all time. 

What's predictable is all of y'all thinking he's a good baseball player.  
.729 career OPS
.678 last year.

The 40 man is stacked with younger players who can produce that and actually could improve.
And spare me the "Flip" stuff...it's the very players who now won't play (the Cordells, etc.) that they get when they flip better players than Jay.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

Just now, GreenSox said:

.729 career OPS
.678 last year.

The 40 man is stacked with younger players who can produce that and actually could improve.

What CF do we have that could do that and play most of the season?

• Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Orioles played him there second half of the season. Really hope Sox stay away from him though.

Yeah, I just looked up his fielding stats on Fangraphs. He's had a plus arm for the majority of his career. I think he's going to be the Sox RF this year. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Look at his Statcast data.  Very good batter’s eye, but the quality of contact is well below average.  I’m not completely writing him off, but you don’t hand a fringe guy like him a full time role after his half season last year.

I'm thinking Jay makes for a good platoon partner to pair with Engel. Nothing more than that though.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He’s a career league average hitter who can play all three OF spots.  You can rip his 2018 season with the bat, but he’s been a pretty solid OF for most of his career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

.729 career OPS
.678 last year.

And spare me the "Flip" stuff...it's the very players who now won't play (the Cordells, etc.) that they get when they flip better players than Jay.

Except none of the younger players you’re referring to that can play CF are any good. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a career league average hitter who can play all three OF spots.  You can rip his 2018 season with the bat, but he’s been a pretty solid OF for most of his career.

He's also not a bad guy to have when you have to face the Indians tough righties.

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic