Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, mqr said:

Yes it will. The Yankees make twice as much as anyone and they still don't go over. Rich people don't give away money just....because.

By the way the Yankees were one of three teams that did have to pay Luxury Tax money along with Boston and the Cubs. I assume that is based on the recent past seasons.

The luxury tax has become a de facto salary cap. If I were the players I'd acknowledge that fact in the next round of negotiations and go one step further and try to get a cap and floor system put into place. The owners absolutely love the way it is right now because there is a de facto cap but no floor. If the players got a floor, say at 55% of the cap, that would be huge for free agency. this year's luxury tax was at a $206M payroll. using that as the cap, the floor would be $113.3M. It would force the owners to pay younger players when they're still good AND pay mid tier FA in order to meet the floor. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Cubs sign Kimbrel, Cubs sign Cargo, Theo today says if Zobrist wants to come back he'd be welcome, salary isn't an issue.

God what I wouldn't give to have an ownership that plays to win and not be "fiscally responsible".

And who knows what they'll be able to do when their TV Network money starts pouring in, estimated to be 90 million a season, up 30 million a year from what they are getting now from WLS, WGN and Comcast Sports Chicago.

Edited by Lip Man 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ron883 said:

Cubs lose 18-5. It's fun seeing Kaplan demoralized on postgame

Two days ago he said everyone is overreacting. Last night he said something has to change with the clubhouse.

Nice to see him being his typical level-headed self.

The Cubs have this reputation of being awesome at drafting and developing. Why????

1st rounders since Theo took over: 

2012- Almora(5)

2013- Bryant(2)

2014-Schwarber(4) 

2015 Happ(9) 

2016 None 

where are all of these awesome players? 

Sure, all of them made the Majors, but it isn't like they did much when they got there. Happ and Almora suck, and Schwarber is a DH playing LF(and a shitty one at that) 

If you think of that team's core only 3 of their huge prospects are major contributors and Theo didn't even draft Baez. Rizzo was a gift from Hoyer before he quit San Diego. I call shenanigans there. 

They also did a horrid job of self scouting and traded away their studs in Torres, Jimenez and Cease while keeping bums like Schwarber, Almora, Russell and Happ. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Cubs have this reputation of being awesome at drafting and developing. Why????

1st rounders since Theo took over: 

2012- Almora(5)

2013- Bryant(2)

2014-Schwarber(4) 

2015 Happ(9) 

2016 None 

where are all of these awesome players? 

Sure, all of them made the Majors, but it isn't like they did much when they got there. Happ and Almora suck, and Schwarber is a DH playing LF(and a shitty one at that) 

If you think of that team's core only 3 of their huge prospects are major contributors and Theo didn't even draft Baez. Rizzo was a gift from Hoyer before he quit San Diego. I call shenanigans there. 

They also did a horrid job of self scouting and traded away their studs in Torres, Jimenez and Cease while keeping bums like Schwarber, Almora, Russell and Happ. 

Wasn't it rumored at the time that the Yankees wanted Schwarber for Chapman in 2016 when he was out? I'm glad that one didn't happen.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:24 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Cubs sign Kimbrel, Cubs sign Cargo, Theo today says if Zobrist wants to come back he'd be welcome, salary isn't an issue.

God what I wouldn't give to have an ownership that plays to win and not be "fiscally responsible".

And who knows what they'll be able to do when their TV Network money starts pouring in, estimated to be 90 million a season, up 30 million a year from what they are getting now from WLS, WGN and Comcast Sports Chicago.

I know this if from nearly a month ago, but did you actually use the phrase “not fiscally responsible” (twice no less) when discussing the Ricketts?  Did you see the Cubs’ offseason?  Their fanbase was about to riot for not spending big in free agency to add the finishing pieces.