Sox @ Nats (Covey vs Sanchez) 12:05 PM CT First Pitch

Richie

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

His best pitch when he's been rolling has been his 4 seamer and then following that up with a decent change and breaking ball.  I would hope he ditches the sinker.  Pitching to contact is a fool's errand.

Yep. He's going fastball-cutter-changeup and that is fueling his success. 

How is it that mediocre pitchers just paralyze our lineup?  Woops I take it back.  MACADA!!!  Sanchez is immediately removed.  A manager who isn't going to learn the hard way his starter has lost it.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Fangraphs classifies it as a "cutter" and according to their data he's using it 22.3% of the time this year averaging 91.3 mph.  His 4 seamer is coming in at 94.3 on average, which is pretty good for him as well.

It's a cutter. Sliders don't go over 88 mph. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's a cutter. Sliders don't go over 88 mph. 

Not much of a pitching guy but isn't a cutter just a more extreme 2 seamer with a bit of a wider grip?  That's by far his best pitch has great tailing movement to lefties and bores in on righties.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not much of a pitching guy but isn't a cutter just a more extreme 2 seamer with a bit of a wider grip?  That's by far his best pitch has great tailing movement to lefties and bores in on righties.

No a cutter is a slider with a narrower grip. The difference is speed and break. If its 87-88+ with shorter break its  a cutter. I call everything 88mph or higher with that type of movement a cutter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, South Sider said:

Yeah. I see why people avoid them. People apparently put no thought into their comments and don't allow for a stupidity-filter to be put in place before commenting. 

There are some quality posters with quality posts in Gamethreads. There are also people who are overtly exasperatingly negative about every single thing that happens, and add nothing to a conversation. I just learn to filter those people out, or sometimes throw them on my ignore list.