The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA

Jose Abreu

40 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Larry: It looks like Zack Collins made a swing adjustment. How do you think it will affect his future outlook?

Keith Law: I just saw him Tuesday. He did not make a swing adjustment. He was also atrocious behind the plate.

Keith Law is #1 in the White Sox hater club. His opinions should be outlawed from this forum

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

To be fair the next time when Law admits he was wrong about a player will be the first time.

I think this is what rubs people the wrong way.

It's his reluctance to let go of a whiff. The Sale thing gets brought up a lot but it's not that he missed.. it's that 2 1/2 years later he was sticking by his stance and defending his position. Just move on.

I respect a guy traveling everywhere to watch baseball and give his perspective. He's stubborn but he has good insights on a lot of players as well. He just could be less defensive when he's wrong

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Speaking facts? Thank you.

Eh, you attack Abreu like he's having a 2011 Adam Dunn season when he's actually productive. I'll give you the knocks on the defense for sure though. If he is back, which seems like whether you like it or not, he should mostly DH.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Get him up in September and plan on him starting at 1B (getting C and DH starts as well) for next year. 

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Get him up in September and plan on him starting at 1B (getting C and DH starts as well) for next year. 

Nope the dude needs to work on being a catcher.   I'm one that isn't concerned about his bat as much as the position he was drafted.  We have too many DH/1B. 

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Collins had a swing-hitch. Why in the world this organization, with its years-long struggles developing players, continually drafted hitters and pitchers with obvious hitches that needed to be fixed, is beyond me.

Because they believe that can fix those things and no matter the amount of failures they still believe,

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Collins had a swing-hitch. Why in the world this organization, with its years-long struggles developing players, continually drafted hitters and pitchers with obvious hitches that needed to be fixed, is beyond me.

Burger, too.

Collins might be the only LH hitter I've ever seen whose swing doesn't look aesthetically-pleasing.

5 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Because they believe that can fix those things and no matter the amount of failures they still believe,

Probably true.  We see them repeating failed methods in other areas of the org.
For those counting, cumulative WAR of all players drafted by Rick Hahn since he took over in 2013:  14.9.  If you exclude the players with negative WAR  it is 17.3.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

For those counting, cumulative WAR of all players drafted by Rick Hahn since he took over in 2013:  14.9.  If you exclude the players with negative WAR  it is 17.3.

Something I've seen for a long time is they could care less if a guy could catch a baseball.  The sad thing is many of those players were really bad at it. Then they would take those players and try to convert them to a position of need.  Remember they tried to make Viciedo play 3rd in the minors.  The most memorable one from the KW era was Josh Field.  Cora and Ozzie couldn't help him.  

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Our Samardzija and Shields trades cost 13.1 fWAR...and that's just for THIS season. 

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Something I've seen for a long time is they could care less if a guy could catch a baseball.  The sad thing is many of those players were really bad at it. Then they would take those players and try to convert them to a position of need.  Remember they tried to make Viciedo play 3rd in the minors.  The most memorable one from the KW era was Josh Field.  Cora and Ozzie couldn't help him.  

Beckham was switched positionally three times.  Viciedo three times.  Mark Teahen might have been the ugliest, the Buddy Bell Special.  Fields was another good one.

Semien was moved all around in the minors, 69 games at second, 23 at 3rd and 208 at SS but then they mostly played him at 3B when he first came up to the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Our Samardzija and Shields trades cost 13.1 fWAR...and that's just for THIS season. 

yep

Another way to look at it.  Marcus Semien, alone has a higher career WAR (17.5) than all of Hahn's draft picks combined.   Man if you add Tatis....yikes.

But the raw number of 14.9/17.3 WAR from all of those drafts is atrocious on its own.   The positive WAR players are Anderson, Rodon, Bummer, Engle (.3) and Fry (.1).

Edited by GreenSox

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

Keith Law is #1 in the White Sox hater club. His opinions should be outlawed from this forum

I like Law, but there's a small group of posters here who take everything he says as gospel. Whenever I read, "well Keith Law says," my eyes start rolling so hard it hurts. 

50 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Baseball history is littered with guys that had hitches or did other weird things with their hands. Just because a hitter has a hitch doesn't mean he can't succeed. 

• Like 1