JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah and Barry Bonds was productive into his mid 40s. There's nothing at all that has changed in the last decade compared to those guys that would affect their performance late in their careers except maybe their head sizes, so we can still expect that from all players. 

How do you know JDM isn’t on PEDs (along with a bunch others)? You really think the league is now entirely clean? Hmm, Nelson Cruz was pretty good this year at age 38/39. I’m sure he was clean.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Having $45 million locked up at 1b/DH, positions where teams don't tend to give up much in a trade, and your only remaining solid prospect blocked by those guys, with less money to spend in 2021 as a consequence - is actually not a good problem to have.

Consider that our offense made history at RF/DH an upgrade would seem in order. There must be a message in there. 

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

Consider that our offense made history at RF/DH an upgrade would seem in order. There must be a message in there. 

I do not disagree with that, I just question whether a team with a payroll limit can afford to lock that much up at 1b/DH. We've literally done that over and over and over for the last decade, spending more resources at those 2 positions than at any other on the diamond, and it hasn't been effective since 2008.

If we had done a better job of development over the last few years, and found some additional spare pieces from other organizations who could fill spots like RF or SP, then going for the premium DH might be the right move. We've got a lot of positional needs for next year, we have to pick and choose which position is going to be the one where we put really big resources, if any.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do not disagree with that, I just question whether a team with a payroll limit can afford to lock that much up at 1b/DH. We've literally done that over and over and over for the last decade, spending more resources at those 2 positions than at any other on the diamond, and it hasn't been effective since 2008.

If we had done a better job of development over the last few years, and found some additional spare pieces from other organizations who could fill spots like RF or SP, then going for the premium DH might be the right move. We've got a lot of positional needs for next year, we have to pick and choose which position is going to be the one where we put really big resources, if any.

Quite literally, DH is one of the two everyday positions in greatest need of an upgrade on this team. There’s nothing wrong with spending big money to upgrade and solidify that position for the next 3-4 years. I don’t know about you but I’m tired of the DH carousel we’ve seen from this team over the past decade.

38 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Quite literally, DH is one of the two everyday positions in greatest need of an upgrade on this team. There’s nothing wrong with spending big money to upgrade and solidify that position for the next 3-4 years. I don’t know about you but I’m tired of the DH carousel we’ve seen from this team over the past decade.

But that carousel has happened while we've spent money on the position. Huge amounts of money, frankly. So yeah, I see the matchup here, but I'm also skeptical about doing that same thing again.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But that carousel has happened while we've spent money on the position. Huge amounts of money, frankly. So yeah, I see the matchup here, but I'm also skeptical about doing that same thing again.

Huge money? They’ve never signed a DH of JDM’s caliber. Dunn was the closest thing but nowhere near the hitter JDM has been the past 4 years plus he was switching leagues which for whatever reason seemed to be an issue for guys back then (the fact that the AL was clearly the superior league back then contributed in some ways I’m sure, not the case any more).

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This ^

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

brI do not disagree with that, I just question whether a team with a payroll limit can afford to lock that much up at 1b/DH. We've literally done that over and over and over for the last decade, spending more resources at those 2 positions than at any other on the diamond, and it hasn't been effective since 2008.

Grandal and Pederson/Calhoun along with resigning Abreu would satisfy my positional needs.  Those additions along with Robert and Madrigal will an amazing upgrade over the 2019 lineup.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Oh it’s definitely better. Sox need good hitters. JD Martinez is that. Makes finding a legit LH RF paramount, though. 

Yup, definitely agree.  I could actually see a JDM signing paired with a Joc trade (assuming the price is reasonable).  It really seems like something Hahn/KW would do.

Again, JDM played 95 games in the outfield over the past two years. Even though he’s a poor defender, you better believe Boras will be marketing him to teams as more than DH only. And you’d be foolish to think an NL team wouldn’t sign him at the right price. Over 4 years, you don’t think he’d produce 7.5 WAR ($9M/WAR if $68M contract) for an NL team playing the outfield? I’d say he’d be awfully close considering i think he’d be around 3 WAR next season alone.

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What better RF do those 3 teams currently have? I’d be shocked if they wouldn’t strongly consider JDM at $17M AAV over 4 years.

Why do you think JDM can play RF and be a 3 win player?  In 2016, he played a ton of RF and was worth 2.3 fWAR.  His offensive & defensive stats were more or less the same as last year.  The difference is he’s now 32 and only going to worse.  Additionally, there are plenty of stories out there that he’s unable to play the field on a daily basis and stay healthy.  No NL team in their right mind is going to sign him to play RF for the next three or four years without having the DH spot as an insurance policy.  It’s simply not going to happen.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Anyways, I’m confident the CWS sign JDM but they better not get too cute on the contract/money or another team will undercut them similar to Machado last winter.

If he opts-out, JDM’s market will literally be 3 or 4 teams and my guess is Boras will be eager to get something ASAP.  This won’t drag out like the Machado process IMO.

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What better RF do those 3 teams currently have? I’d be shocked if they wouldn’t strongly consider JDM at $17M AAV over 4 years.

Close but I doubt anything less than $20 will do it.  Maybe $22 AAV over 3

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, definitely agree.  I could actually see a JDM signing paired with a Joc trade (assuming the price is reasonable).  It really seems like something Hahn/KW would do.

While I strongly believe you are correct about no National league team signing JDM , I strongly disagree that the Sox would trade for  a 1 year rental. I just don't see what purpose it serves unless you think the Sox can get to the World Series next year or think they can resign him. I think both are 100-1 long shots and therefore highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While I strongly believe you are correct about no National league team signing JDM , I strongly disagree that the Sox would trade for  a 1 year rental. I just don't see what purpose it serves unless you think the Sox can get to the World Series next year or think they can resign him. I think both are 100-1 long shots and therefore highly unlikely.

I could absolutely see the White Sox trading for a 1 year rental this year...as long as they aren't having to pay way too much for said player. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I could absolutely see the White Sox trading for a 1 year rental this year...as long as they aren't having to pay way too much for said player. 

What would be considered a price that is "not having to pay way too much" for Joc Pederson?  In other words, what would you be willing to part with to acquire Joc that would make that move smarter than just signing a 1 year stopgap (Calhoun, for example)?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You can see it  because you don't have a high opinion of the Sox FO ? Is that most of the reason why you think that ? You can't even play the guy against lefties.

My opinions of the Sox FO isn't high either but it just seems so obvious it's not a move they should be making. Look at Alonso , Shields, Samardzija. Some of the worst trades in MLB history are usually trading  young players for a veteran. The express purpose of the rebuild was to acquire depth in the minors that could furnish the big league club for years to come for sustained success. Is it really the time to abandon that ?