Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Dunning, basebe and Reylo for Mookie? 

What a terrible proposal. 

I'd move Dunning and Basabe for Mookie.  I am not including Reynaldo, which means this deal isn't getting done.  I'd even include a Sheets or Rutherford type in that deal as well.  But no to Lopez.    

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd move Dunning and Basabe for Mookie.  I am not including Reynaldo, which means this deal isn't getting done.  I'd even include a Sheets or Rutherford type in that deal as well.  But no to Lopez.    

Yeah, this wouldn't kill them as it wouldn't create another hole for the team; it would take a little depth away from a position that you need it, but you have to sacrifice something. 

oh damn you are starting to turn.

Funny thing to me is losing out on wheeler makes me less amenable to the betts trade. I thought we'd be able to add a high end starter...now we still have no idea who that can be.

Just now, bmags said:

oh damn you are starting to turn.

Funny thing to me is losing out on wheeler makes me less amenable to the betts trade. I thought we'd be able to add a high end starter...now we still have no idea who that can be.

I am not really turning.  I am never trading Cease or Madrigal for Betts.  I am not even interested in trading Reylo for Betts.  That is what I am extremely against and have mentioned countless times when this has been discussed.

The only packages I would offer for Mookie are packages that other orgs in their window should be able to easily beat.  We both know that a Dunning + Basabe + Sheets offer has no chance to get accepted, and that is about the max I would be willing to give up for 1 year of Mookie.     

• Like 1

I am not really turning.  I am never trading Cease or Madrigal for Betts.  I am not even interested in trading Reylo for Betts.  That is what I am extremely against and have mentioned countless times when this has been discussed.

The only packages I would offer for Mookie are packages that other orgs in their window should be able to easily beat.  We both know that a Dunning + Basabe + Sheets offer has no chance to get accepted, and that is about the max I would be willing to give up for 1 year of Mookie.     

I mostly agree, but given we would get a comp pick back I’d be willing to give up Lopez + lesser prospects.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Stop fighting it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mostly agree, but given we would get a comp pick back I’d be willing to give up Lopez + lesser prospects.

So now we have 3 rotation holes to fill, $28M less to spend to fill them, and while we solve RF for 2020, we still have to figure it out again next offseason.  Such a Kenny Williams move.  Betts is an awesome player, but I just don't see how it makes any sense to give up anything that projects to a significant piece of puzzle moving forward for 1 year.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

So now we have 3 rotation holes to fill, $28M less to spend to fill them, and while we solve RF for 2020, we still have to figure it out again next offseason.  Such a Kenny Williams move.  Betts is an awesome player, but I just don't see how it makes any sense to give up anything that projects to a significant piece of puzzle moving forward for 1 year.  

How do you figure 3 rotation holes to fill?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They're not significant pieces.  It's a reliever, a 4th OF and an injured pitcher for a top 3 player in the game.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Ok, I can see your point on the pitching issue.  It would be hard to build a rotation given those considerations.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not significant pieces.  It's a reliever, a 4th OF and an injured pitcher for a top 3 player in the game.  

Lol.  Lopez is not a reliever.  I don't give a fuck about Basabe.  I'd like to keep Dunning ideally, but I'd move him for Betts as I have already said minutes ago in this very thread.  I am not trading Lopez, and I don't really care to get into a debate on Lopez with someone who clearly doesn't value him at all by calling him a reliever.  

So explain to me this: who is in the Sox OD rotation if they made this deal (Lopez + Dunning + Basabe for Betts).  Our 2020 payroll is now ~$110M after adding Mookie.  We have three rotation spots to fill.  Please explain to me how we fill those and stay within a reasonable 2020 budget ($135M max). 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Maybe not in this hypothetical

You could switch that up, but Kopech will still be on an innings limit next year and starting his season in the majors will likely cost you down the stretch.  IMO, it’s ideal to ramp him up slowly in the minors, recoup that extra year of control, and let him go somewhat unrestricted June forward.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You could switch that up, but Kopech will still be on an innings limit next year and starting his season in the majors will likely cost you down the stretch.  IMO, it’s ideal to ramp him up slowly in the minors, recoup that extra year of control, and let him go somewhat unrestricted June forward.

That's the value of Rodon then though isn't it?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly.  If Kopech starts the year in the bigs, he's shut down by August 1st, and he's also now a FA one year sooner than he would if the Sox let him slowly build up endurance in AAA.  It makes no sense - and furthermore, Hahn has been remarkably clear about Kopech starting in AAA multiple times already this offseason.   

I’m 100% against trading for Betts. This is not a situation where’s he’s the final piece to the puzzle. I would consider it a massive waste to hand over prospect capital (and the Sox don’t have a whole lot to work with as-is) to acquire him in order to *maybe* win the division and then ultimately end up with another hole in RF entering into 2021.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I’m 100% against trading for Betts. This is not a situation where’s he’s the final piece to the puzzle. I would consider it a massive waste to hand over prospect capital (and the Sox don’t have a whole lot to work with as-is) to acquire him in order to *maybe* win the division and then ultimately end up with another hole in RF entering into 2021.

You could re-sign him.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'd stomach Dylan Covey for April if it meant Mookie Betts in RF.

Huh?

So the Sox would trade for a guy who only impacts next year, and then you'd be happy that the Sox started Dylan Covey for a month + in a year they'd have to contend because they traded for Mookie for one year. Those two things don't make a lot of sense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.