Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Benitendi is a 2.0 WAR player. Why are so many so guns ho to pay up for Price for him?

2 birds 0 stones. If Sox can get price and beni Nintendo for little cost it gives some path moving forward.

It also leaves them bullets to trade midseason for a starter etc if they are in contention.

10 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

He literally was a 2 WAR player this year... previously he was a 4 and 3.  Lots of SAFE potential there. He's a safe player but also provides a ton more upside.

Does he have a lot of upside? He's not a great athlete and just does everything pretty well. He looks way more like a high floor player at this point. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

2 birds 0 stones. If Sox can get price and beni Nintendo for little cost it gives some path moving forward.

It also leaves them bullets to trade midseason for a starter etc if they are in contention.

It isn’t little cost. You are paying Price probably $50 million too much just for Benitendi. Then you get his arb. There is no bargain here at all. It’s an overpay. Sure he might rebound, but why take that chance. Why let them off the hook? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I can’t believe people

a) even thinking that we’ll get Benintendi
b) are so clueless as to not understand his immense value

Edited by Steve9347
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It isn’t little cost. You are paying Price probably $50 million too much just for Benitendi. Then you get his arb. There is no bargain here at all. It’s an overpay. Sure he might rebound, but why take that chance. Why let them off the hook? 

You better be sure that Price is close to 100% OR that he's so hurt the White Sox can write off 70% of the contract for insurance purposes and get him to retire.

Look at all the RFer's still in the market for nothing but FA money that are in that same 1.5-2.5 fWAR range.   Of course, the conversation changes if he's actually that 4 player again, just like Ozuna at 6 instead of 3ish.  But how likely are those peak outcomes?

Not to mention the fact that doing so practically guarantees the Red Sox have a good shot to keep Betts in the fold...meaning you've eliminated one of the two best RF options in the next FA class by helping one of your league rivals for a World Series berth.

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

I can’t believe people

I dont know if it will happen, but id do it if i was the sox if the spect isnt much.

Just odd some think Price's salary is too much. Its only 3 years and i dont see the sox winning a bidding war for for Ryu.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just through the sale thing out there as an absolute joke because of a random tweet about one exec saying maybe the Red Sox would trade sale but probably not.

Nothing about the Sox. Sale is never coming back here. 

Now, Now.  I fully expect Sale to sign a 1 day contract at the end of his career to retire a Pale Hose....those lifetime White Sox ambassador positions are gold for retirees.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

I dont know if it will happen, but id do it if i was the sox if the spect isnt much.

Just odd some think Price's salary is too much. Its only 3 years and i dont see the sox winning a bidding war for for Ryu.

I think Price’s contract will look less horrible once we all see what Bumgarner, Ryu, and Keuchel sign for.

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

Now, Now.  I fully expect Sale to sign a 1 day contract at the end of his career to retire a Pale Hose....those lifetime White Sox ambassador positions are gold for retirees.

They'll probably convince him to manage for a couple years too.  I tell ya, that Sale is such a cut up.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I mean, it looks like these are the types of risks the Sox may have to take if they can’t get FA to take super legitimate offers. But I agree - really not my favorite route unless it’s seemingly too good to be true. 

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

Huge waste of money if you ask me

Kind of how I look at it and certainly don't believe it but I'll chime in for fun but I do believe there will be big trade just not sure when. The Winter Meetings and speed of FA signings is leaving the Red Sox in the dust right now. They have to salary relief and it appears they need to do it sooner rather than later.

Let's try instead of Benitendi that we get Brandon Workman instead. He could be the RH reliever we want but he is a FA in 2021.

Red Sox throw in cash. White Sox give up whoever .

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

I can’t believe people

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Look at his overall numbers and especially his health the last two or three years...as well as his declining fastball velocities compared to a decade earlier with the Rays.