COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You have to ration. Stores already had a limit on meat during the shortage. It's not that hard. 

I'd have someone at the store working a phone order for curbside pickup for older folks. Open a damn phone line and take orders. It's not that different from ordering a pizza.  If they can't drive, they have someone that can do their instacart for them. I know older people who can and can't use instacart, and their kids order them food if they can't figure it out. It's not that hard. 

It's not safe to be indoors with strangers. 

There are all kinds of ways around your objections. 

So my family and I have already had Covid.  So why exactly do I need to bunker down in my basement waiting for my stipend of meat.   

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

So my family and I have already had Covid.  So why exactly do I need to bunker down in my basement waiting for my stipend of meat.   

I have already as well. New reports say that antibodies only provide resistance for 3-4 months. When did you have it? I had mine in mid-March. 

You don't, there are plenty of things to do outside......it will be tougher in winter. 

I'm pretty much done arguing with you because this has reached ad absurdum levels. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have already as well. New reports say that antibodies only provide resistance for 3-4 months. When did you have it? I had mine in mid-March. 

You don't, there are plenty of things to do outside......it will be tougher in winter. 

I'm pretty much done arguing with you because this has reached ad absurdum levels. 

There is no arguing with you.  Its the same tactic.  You come up with an absurd thought.  You double down on said absurd thought sighting research from the internet.  You make several runs at better explaining it back editing your posts.   Then you either tap out or you punt to the fact that you are autistic as a reason for being obtuse.  You throw out technology answers when you barely have a grasp of how half this shit works.  Sure you know a bit more than your parents and maybe a few of your friends.  But that doesn't matter.  You read something on the internet, it punched through your brain-pan and what comes out enviably is a rube goldberg plan for society.   I hope your basement is well stocked.  See you in two years when you can finally get your vaccine.    

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

There is no arguing with you.  Its the same tactic.  You come up with an absurd thought.  You double down on said absurd thought sighting research from the internet.  You make several runs at better explaining it back editing your posts.   Then you either tap out or you punt to the fact that you are autistic as a reason for being obtuse.  You throw out technology answers when you barely have a grasp of how half this shit works.  Sure you know a bit more than your parents and maybe a few of your friends.  But that doesn't matter.  You read something on the internet, it punched through your brain-pan and what comes out enviably is a rube goldberg plan for society.   I hope your basement is well stocked.  See you in two years when you can finally get your vaccine.    

Nobody is fucking saying that......god dammit. 

I never said don't come out of your basement and this is the fucking apocalypse. I did say that there is mounting evidence that being indoors with strangers isn't safe. I realize we have to keep the food supply going. I was talking more about the meatpacking industry where it has been unsafe. 

Nobody is saying don't go out and do things. I did say don't do things indoors. 

If they can show evidence that it's fairly safe keeping grocery stores, and WalMarts/Targets open I'm fine with it. Just make people wear masks and have a limit on customers. Actually enforce it. My draconian takeout groceries stuff is if people refuse to wear masks properly or at all. Otherwise, it's fine. 

No Shoes, no shirt, no service? No mask(properly), no service. Simple as that. 

Again: 

Indoor activities: Phase 1

Outdoor activities: Phase 3 

and that's what I think. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nobody is fucking saying that......god dammit. 

I never said don't come out of your basement and this is the fucking apocalypse. I did say that there is mounting evidence that being indoors with strangers isn't safe. I realize we have to keep the food supply going. I was talking more about the meatpacking industry where it has been unsafe. 

Nobody is saying don't go out and do things. I did say don't do things indoors. 

If they can show evidence that it's fairly safe keeping grocery stores, and WalMarts/Targets open I'm fine with it. Just make people wear masks and have a limit on customers. Actually enforce it. My draconian takeout groceries stuff is if people refuse to wear masks properly or at all. Otherwise, it's fine. 

No Shoes, no shirt, no service? No mask(properly), no service. Simple as that. 

Again: 

Indoor activities: Phase 1

Outdoor activities: Phase 3 

and that's what I think. 

Masks should be mandatory for all indoor activity and for any outdoor activity you cant socially distance. 

If a person doesn't wear the mask or refuses to wear it properly ( the people who pull it off to talk, or wear it around their neck ).  They can GTFO.  First time you get kicked out, for the Karen crew and the Freedom people who want to execute their protest rights.  Great protest your ass off in the parking lot.  And you get a 30 day ban from the store on round 2 of your attempt.  Round 3, permaban.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Masks should be mandatory for all indoor activity and for any outdoor activity you cant socially distance. 

If a person doesn't wear the mask or refuses to wear it properly ( the people who pull it off to talk, or wear it around their neck ).  They can GTFO.  First time you get kicked out, for the Karen crew and the Freedom people who want to execute their protest rights.  Great protest your ass off in the parking lot.  And you get a 30 day ban from the store.  

Now we're getting somewhere. 

All of my comments on indoors being unsafe were based on the assumption that the a significant minority of the general public(say 15-20%) refuses to wear masks properly or at all and cannot be convinced otherwise. Based on my work as a food delivery driver it's probably closer to 35-40%. If that's the case, then we have to make decisions for the public good. 

I had an idea of making the consequences of not wearing a mask similar to a DUI, because like DUIs, not wearing a mask is public endangerment. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Now we're getting somewhere. 

All of my comments on indoors being unsafe were based on the assumption that the a significant minority of the general public(say 15-20%) refuse to wear masks properly or at all. Based on my work as a food delivery driver it's probably closer to 35-40%. If that's the case, then we have to make decisions for the public good. 

The mask order should be nationwide.  It should be mandatory.  Its not the new normal.  Its the normal until there is a vaccine and this gets behind us.  

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

The mask order should be nationwide.  It should be mandatory.  Its not the new normal.  Its the normal until there is a vaccine and this gets behind us.  

Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing pants with Mr. Johnson hanging from the fly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My twitter feed currently is non-stop people using the F word at ICE and everyone else involved in this decision. 

Hopefully the schools see this and create some sort of loop hole. Not really that hard to say that there will potentially be some in person requirements.

Path of least resistance. 

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Hopefully the schools see this and create some sort of loop hole. Not really that hard to say that there will potentially be some in person requirements.

Path of least resistance. 

https://edsource.org/2020/university-of-california-campuses-plan-to-offer-most-classes-online-this-fall/633991

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/harvard-plans-bring-back-40-153950037.html

There also will be “limited exceptions” for courses across the 23-campus system (CAL STATE) that can’t be delivered virtually, such as essential lab courses and clinical classes for nursing students, White said. Those classes will have restrictions, such as social distancing and fewer students. 

Another exception I discovered was architecture/design and other arts-related courses...

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

My twitter feed currently is non-stop people using the F word at ICE and everyone else involved in this decision. 

This is a freaking nightmare.

About 35-40% of our 475 or so graduates per year attend school in the US.

I listed the exceptions above in some cases, but only we’re about 5-7 weeks out before many students were planning to return in the fall, not to mention the severely limited number of flights between the US and China right now, as it stands.

Roughly 380,000 Chinese students in undergraduate and graduate programs.  $2.85 billion in economic impact just for universities alone.

Make that $44.7 billion total across various industries...

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, bmags said:

For me I'd have illinois in a modified phase 3 with much more leniency on outdoor activities but would not allow the indoor restaurants/bars that are allowed now.

To me, indoor restaurants / bars are the biggest problem.  Zero reason those should be open to the public right now (outside of carry-out / delivery) and the government should use its resources to take care of the companies, small business owners, & employees impacted in those industries.  I think with that simple change along with making masks mandatory you’d see a world of a difference in the trajectory of this thing.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's what the phone lines/curbside are for. I'm not dumb and I know internet access isn't universal, though I think it is a basic utility and should be a right in modern society. 

So, you get around that with having phone orders and curbside pickup. Not different than ordering a pizza with a bunch of toppings on it. 

I guess the point is that we have the technology, so we should use it wherever possible. 

How long does a phone order take with 70 items in it?  Where does the grocery store stock all the items that need to be refrigerated or frozen and are awaiting pickup?  Those are only two simple questions that would need to be addressed, but operationally what you’re suggesting would be a huge challenge to execute for all of America.

4 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

FWIW I know people who claim to have had it twice

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There definitely is a plan, try to ignore it and hope that America is dumb enough to re-elect Trump.

The sad part is that after what happened in 2016, I can still see it happening.

• Like 1

And the trade deficit just continues to worsen, sacrificing billions from the budgets of universities across the US.

Great job!

If only we did the same thing as Europe, we’d actually be able to open up all K-12 and universities in August and September...might even have had a good shot at completing football seasons and preventing the loss of at least 65,000-90,000 lives to boot.

At one point, we were told for 2-3 weeks that we could keep it around 60,000 lives lost if we all cooperated on lockdown policies, masks and social distancing.  We’ve already more than doubled and are well on the way to tripling those numbers at the current pace.

And we’re destroying the economy by making it impossible again for parents to work if younger kids are home from school again.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:07 AM, Tony said:

Sorry, but this had to be responded to. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/the-fix/54-times-trump-downplayed-the-coronavirus/2020/03/05/790f5afb-4dda-48bf-abe1-b7d152d5138c_video.html

That’s without mentioning Trump saying he would like testing to slow down because it reveals more positive results, the White House walking it back by saying “Oh he was just joking” then Trump saying “I don’t joke about things about that.”

Or when he told the WSJ he believed some are wearing masks not as a preventative measure, but as a way to show disproved for his leadership skills? 

Or in May when he went to a Ford plant to tour the facility, and he was the only one not wearing as a mask, his response was “I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing me in a mask.” Because why would you want to send that message to American’s, that’s it’s a positive to wear a mask?

I mean, should I keep going? Do you need more? Do I need to keep providing info on how the leader of this country, the man who has 40+ million people asking “How High?” when he says jump, has totally and completely sent the wrong and harmful message to the country since this all started?  

We're testing about 650K people a day. There is literally no evidence that anyone in the government has been directed to slow testing. 

The CDC has published guidelines including social distancing and wearing a mask. Most local governments require you to wear a mask.

Please keep going.

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

The sad part is that after what happened in 2016, I can still see it happening.

I can definitely see it happening. Seeing the failure that was CHAZ/CHOP, statues being torn down, the media treating Trump unfairly, etc. This type of stuff drives moderates away from the left. The polls show Biden smoking Trump, but we all remember 2016. I can easily see Trump winning again. 

28 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I can definitely see it happening. Seeing the failure that was CHAZ/CHOP, statues being torn down, the media treating Trump unfairly, etc. This type of stuff drives moderates away from the left. The polls show Biden smoking Trump, but we all remember 2016. I can easily see Trump winning again. 

You’re not going to get hardly anyone ages 18-30 defending Andrew Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, Confederate generals/Stone Mountain, Mount Rushmore’s KKK-affiliated sculptor, etc.

You’re also going to continue to lose suburban housewives.

If you can actually provide a viable health care replacement program (no signs of that,) sound scientifically-driven Covid strategy and a recovering economy, sure.

But the last 6 weeks since Memorial Day weekend has destroyed that.   Being on the wrong side (meaning a minority of Americans are supporting your handling) of all three major crises of the day, that dog just doesn’t hunt.

A unilateral approach towards China, Russia, North Korea, Syria and Turkey doesn’t work either.   The luckiest development has been China pushing India more and more towards the US.

Most decisions in presidential election years are made in May and June, at least for the undecided/independents.  Attacking Biden hasn’t worked, despite spending millions more in advertising than in all of 2016.  In 2016, the spread was around 3-5% for most of that summer and 2-3% going into those last ten days when Comey/email servers and Anthony Weiner flared up again.  And that’s where it ended, based on national and not individual state electoral college breakdown-wise.  Clinton underperformed her numbers (especially with African Americans and non college educated males), moreso than Trump dramatically expanded his.

political predictions are tough in anytime, let alone a pandemic. like all elections it'll come down to swing votes and without living in those states really don't have a feel for them. i wouldn't be surprised to see some pandering to Ford, GM, etc. in terms of some kind of deal prior to the election. Same with other states ... i'm sure $$ will be thrown around wildly. 

Also, let's not forget the debates. even though there's literal no substantive value to them - if biden trips, or if trump attacks well you'll see the theatrics buy back some votes towards trump. This is the world we live in .... buying votes & reality tv theatrics. Sad. 

Wish a viable third party candidate would run - i know the over whelming logic has been if you do that you split the democratic vote ... and maybe that's true in most years, but I'd think that this may be a rare time where a Mark Cuban would actually come close to taking 1/3rd of a vote. I think the ripple effect of something like that may actually be worth it. If someone were to validate the independent candicacy as a real thing I think its a small victory to progress. 

Oh. Wear a mask

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

political predictions are tough in anytime, let alone a pandemic. like all elections it'll come down to swing votes and without living in those states really don't have a feel for them. i wouldn't be surprised to see some pandering to Ford, GM, etc. in terms of some kind of deal prior to the election. Same with other states ... i'm sure $$ will be thrown around wildly. 

Also, let's not forget the debates. even though there's literal no substantive value to them - if biden trips, or if trump attacks well you'll see the theatrics buy back some votes towards trump. This is the world we live in .... buying votes & reality tv theatrics. Sad. 

Wish a viable third party candidate would run - i know the over whelming logic has been if you do that you split the democratic vote ... and maybe that's true in most years, but I'd think that this may be a rare time where a Mark Cuban would actually come close to taking 1/3rd of a vote. I think the ripple effect of something like that may actually be worth it. If someone were to validate the independent candicacy as a real thing I think its a small victory to progress. 

Oh. Wear a mask

All a 3rd party candidate means is a 100% chance of a Trump win.  You'd need to have someone who would convince Trump voters to change their votes, and I think even if Jesus Christ himself ran as a 3rd party candidate, they wouldn't vote for him because he was too hippy dippy.

• Like 1

Oh. Wear a mask

Perot running in 1992 is one of the main reasons Clinton was able to win...siphoning off mostly right center voters who were upset that Bush Sr. went back on his “no new taxes” pledge.

Nader (Reform Party) in 2000 (Gore) and perhaps Jill Stein and Gary Johnson upended Clinton in 2016, although that one isn’t nearly as clear.

Then you have to go back to George Wallace for a similar impact when the Dems started deserting the South/Dixiecrats. 

Right now, we have a combination of the Wallace campaign and Jefferson Davis’ reign over the CSA...still having at least a 1/4 shot to win re-election, which is pretty incredible and scary all at the same time for the Year 2020.   This is at 50+ and well over 150+ years since the Civil Rights and Civil War/Reconstruction eras were thought to have been decided.  He’s essentially running a primary campaign in the midst of the general election...his approval number tumbled from 39% (already not good) to 33% among independents in new Gallup data. 

Edited by caulfield12

Oh. Wear a mask

There is one.  Kanye.  Duh.

• Haha 1