COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

We're getting differing information about how quickly the majority of people can be vaccinated.  Dr. Fauci has said that vaccines should be getting to everyday people (low risk) by spring.  Others are saying it won't be until the 3rd quarter.  Last night I saw someone who actually broke it down by projected vaccine manufacturing and said that between Pfizer and Moderna, they will be able to provide enough vaccines (two shots) to about 200 million people by June.  The herd immunity "magic number" is about 250 million, which is 75% of the population.

Based on this, I would assume the everyday person who WANTS the vaccine could probably be vaccinated by April/May because there's a percent of the population (Trumpers mainly) who will refuse to be vaccinated.

In addition, the person speaking last night said there are several more vaccines that should be available by early 2021.  If that's the case, we could realistically see the majority of the population vaccinated by mid to late spring.

Regardless, it's so nice to be talking about the actual light at the end of the tunnel.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

There is gallows humor in every industry I've worked in and I suspect it happens everywhere. It's a coping mechanism. My ex wife worked ERs. 

"How's he doing? "

"Pass the bible, he's studying for the final"

Oue the hospitality industry in Texas in March. 

"What's the over/ under on Spring Break deaths this year"?

Trying to laugh at something we can't handle has been around forever,  it's like whistling past the graveyard. We just aren't suppose to say it out loud anymore. 

From the reports I read management a couple steps above them put in place a horrible situation that these managers had to manage. Those bets seem more like bitter irony than indifference to me. But I don't know them. This seems like upper management trying to cover their decisions that put feeding people and profits over worker safety. 

Gallows humor is not the same as a betting pool 

34 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

We're getting differing information about how quickly the majority of people can be vaccinated.  Dr. Fauci has said that vaccines should be getting to everyday people (low risk) by spring.  Others are saying it won't be until the 3rd quarter.  Last night I saw someone who actually broke it down by projected vaccine manufacturing and said that between Pfizer and Moderna, they will be able to provide enough vaccines (two shots) to about 200 million people by June.  The herd immunity "magic number" is about 250 million, which is 75% of the population.

Based on this, I would assume the everyday person who WANTS the vaccine could probably be vaccinated by April/May because there's a percent of the population (Trumpers mainly) who will refuse to be vaccinated.

In addition, the person speaking last night said there are several more vaccines that should be available by early 2021.  If that's the case, we could realistically see the majority of the population vaccinated by mid to late spring.

Regardless, it's so nice to be talking about the actual light at the end of the tunnel.

Looks like the next shipment is only half of what was previously promised and the drug company is saying they aren't having issues. So I think logistics is a problem and will be a problem for a while. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Good new op-ed from zeynep

Crucially, though, we should begin immediate single-dose trials, recruiting volunteers from low-risk populations who are first in line for the vaccinations. For example, among health care workers protective equipment works, rates of infection among this group have fallen sharply and severe disease is much more rare.Younger essential workers without risk factors are less likely to be severely affected if they are exposed since this disease’s impact rises steeply with age. Just as tens of thousands of people volunteered for the earlier vaccine trials, many may well volunteer to test a placebo against a second dose, allowing us to quickly ascertain questions of durability and effectiveness of the single dose.

nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html

20 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Right here highlights the biggest problem with trusting everyone to do the right thing in the middle of this pandemic.  I mean holy shit I would be like you need to land this plane right fucking now

https://www.tripsavvy.com/when-someone-dies-during-a-flight-53766#:~:text=There usually isn't an,may be put there also.

It's not common for people to die on planes,  but happens more than we know,  at least according to a pilot friend.

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/when-someone-dies-during-a-flight-53766#:~:text=There usually isn't an,may be put there also.

It's not common for people to die on planes,  but happens more than we know,  at least according to a pilot friend.

Yes someone died on the plane I was on once. Lots of blood clots on planes.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So why is Mike Pence at the front of the line for a pair of doses? Neither a health care worker in contact with patients nor in a long term care facility (jokes accepted here).

For people who believe Covid isn't real, or that this vaccine is dangerous should notice that the Vice President of the United States of America pushed himself to the front of the line for this vaccine, and he has more information than pretty much anyone else in this entire nation on this virus and vaccine.

• Like 1

I don't know how many people it'll convince. But the whole of the federal political class is at the front of the line. Now, sure, most of them are ancient and higher risk anyway, but it's pretty awful that they completely mismanage everything for going on a year now and then get the best possible treatments and the first doses of vaccine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So why is Mike Pence at the front of the line for a pair of doses? Neither a health care worker in contact with patients nor in a long term care facility (jokes accepted here).

It's basically the Elvis taking the polio vaccine, but for MAGA people.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For people who believe Covid isn't real, or that this vaccine is dangerous should notice that the Vice President of the United States of America pushed himself to the front of the line for this vaccine, and he has more information than pretty much anyone else in this entire nation on this virus and vaccine.

If people are delusional enough to believe that the government is pushing a dangerous vaccine, it's not going to be hard for them to believe that Pence is getting a placebo to keep up the charade.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

There is really no argument that the vice president shouldn't get it.

But, I have stated that there is no stronger tool to get people to take the vaccine than making them feel like it's something they are getting screwed out of by some undesirable group, so this is working like a charm.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

It's basically the Elvis taking the polio vaccine, but for MAGA people.

I checked and Elvis got it 2 years after the vaccine became available. 

I literally would have no complaints about Biden getting it (age 77) or Pence getting it before me, but after health workers and nursing homes. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

There is really no argument that the vice president shouldn't get it.

But, I have stated that there is no stronger tool to get people to take the vaccine than making them feel like it's something they are getting screwed out of by some undesirable group, so this is working like a charm.

I have no problem with the VP getting it.  It is more of a statement of the fact that he is pushing to the front of the line tells you exactly how serious this is.  If it wasn't, this wouldn't be done, and it definitely wouldnn't be done publicly.