COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I watched a video of a woman and her kid. The kid was healthy before the vaccine and now a physical mess after the vaccine, Johnson and Johnson. So I still think some people are not effing Stoopid, but scared. Understandably so they do not trust the scientists or politicians so they will not be vaccinated. Is that true 100,000 cases a day in England?? That seems insane. If that's true, won't England pretty much be in a total crisis soon? 100,000 new cases a day??

What kid can get the J&J vaccine?   

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I watched a video of a woman and her kid. The kid was healthy before the vaccine and now a physical mess after the vaccine, Johnson and Johnson.

Greg, what age was the kid (best guess if the video didn't say)? J&J vaccine not approved for anybody under 18.

If the kids was under 18 and the state they live in was identified, you need to report the video to the state health department so they can investigate who is illegally giving the J&J vaccine to kids under 18. Lives could be at stake if you don't do it.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did you watch videos of the 600,000 people in the United States who died?

That's the number of people who died with COVID not from COVID. For instance, George Floyd was a COVID death. I don't think it was the COVID that ended his life. At least the COVID wasn't on trial for it. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

That's the number of people who died with COVID not from COVID. For instance, George Floyd was a COVID death. I don't think it was the COVID that ended his life. At least the COVID wasn't on trial for it. 

e48.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I watched a video of a woman and her kid. The kid was healthy before the vaccine and now a physical mess after the vaccine, Johnson and Johnson. So I still think some people are not effing Stoopid, but scared. Understandably so they do not trust the scientists or politicians so they will not be vaccinated. Is that true 100,000 cases a day in England?? That seems insane. If that's true, won't England pretty much be in a total crisis soon? 100,000 new cases a day??

But per capita 10x worse than the US.

Where and when was lambda first detected? The lambda variant, also known as C.37, was first detected in Peru in December 2020. But back then, according to the Financial Times, lambda only accounted for 1 out of every 200 cases. Today lambda makes up over 80% of all COVID-19 cases in the country. Peru currently has the world’s highest COVID-19 mortality rate, though it’s not yet conclusive if lambda is the reason why.

Is lambda resistant to vaccines? No one knows this for sure, but the WHO and national public health organizations are racing to find out. One pre-print scientific paper by researchers in Chile suggests lambda can better escape the neutralizing antibodies caused by the CoronaVac vaccine, but the paper has not been peer reviewed yet.

What countries is lambda in now? According to data from GISAID, lambda is now in 31 countries, including the U.S., Chile, Peru, Germany, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Ecuador, and Israel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/lambda-variant-here-s-what-we-know-so-far-about-the-who-s-new-variant-of-interest/ar-AALPBqu

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Greg, what age was the kid (best guess if the video didn't say)? J&J vaccine not approved for anybody under 18.

If the kids was under 18 and the state they live in was identified, you need to report the video to the state health department so they can investigate who is illegally giving the J&J vaccine to kids under 18. Lives could be at stake if you don't do it.

Maybe Greg has J&J stock shorted…?

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

OK, this begs a few questions:

1. WHERE did you see this "video?" Can you link it here? [Otherwise, be prepared to be called a "bullshitter."]

2. WHY do you insist on grouping "the scientists or politicians" together? Did some fuck-stick who has no scientific bona fides on your favorite networks tell you to group them together?

3. WHAT are you watching these days? [On TV, internet, etc...] And how much of each are you watching? [I'm legitimately curious.]

Thanks in advance for answering these specific questions, BEFORE trying to turn the discussion elsewhere. 

To show that I am an honest person, I saw that interview on a two or three part tic tock. I don't think all those videos are fake are they? The kid was in the hospital and they wouldn't use a kid as a prop. That has to be illegal. Don't ban me for being honest. If I shouldn't cite tic toc videos I won't any more. I'll look for it on youtube and post link if I can find it. I betcha it appeared elsewhere if it was on there.

For question2: Without getting specific I group scientists and politicians together cause I have certain scientists and politicians in mind who I feel are bad peeps. I don't want to name them and cause a big fight and probably get banned. Suffice it to say I have some people in mind so I just say scientists and politicians. 

3.) You folks will be happy over the holiday I watched the entire first season of Jason Sudeikis Ted Lasso and now I'm watching first season of TheMorning Show. Good stuff. And got me off cable. I was pleasantly surprised and actually proud of CNN on the 4th. I actually gave CNN a chance and even Don Lemon acted happy and patriotic and was proud of the USA during the entire show. He could have gotten negative and didn't.

CNN had on bands like Chicago, Beach Boys and REO and Susanne Hoffs, quite a blast from past and fireworks shows all over the USA. They showed the flag over and over and I must admit I almost cried a few times.

And believe it or not I was so proud of Biden's speech. He for the first time at least the first time I can recall acted very proud of the USA; he actually said the country was great finally and he even cited God. Then on the 5th the news got bad again, but on the 4th I was proud of CNN and Biden.

Those are my answers. Why can't CNN and FOX play nice and be proud of America daily as they were on the 4th. The show and Biden's speech were beautiful.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe Greg has J&J stock shorted…?

7 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I sure thought the mom said Johnson and Johnson.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

1. To show that I am an honest person, I saw that interview on a two or three part tic tock. I don't think all those videos are fake are they? 

For question2: Without getting specific I group scientists and politicians together cause I have certain scientists and politicians in mind who I feel are bad peeps.

3.) You folks will be happy over the holiday I watched the entire first season of Jason Sudeikis Ted Lasso and now I'm watching first season of TheMorning Show. Good stuff. And got me off cable. I was pleasantly surprised and actually proud of CNN on the 4th. I actually gave CNN a chance

1. Ok, so LINK the supposed video. See, this is a clear case of people not recognizing that social media shares have ZERO publication standards. You asked if "all videos are fake?" And thats why I asked for a link.

2. Ok, so your favorite polesmoker on fox tells you that everything is political, so you believe it, without question. 

They then tell you that ONE scientist is political, and you believe it, without question.

They then tell you that one scientist is against their favorite president (without any real evidence, since he was called by said president when he caught covid), and you believe it, without question.

Then, you decry ALL SCIENTISTS as bullshit, because some clown on your preferred network (without any scientific background) told you to do so.

You're allowing yourself to be taken for a fool, Greg.

3. Greg, we already covered this. Turn off the TV. Turn off TV news. Pick up a book. Meet people who are different from you. Get some exercise.

You've already allowed yourself to be led around by the balls by your media consumption. Try something better and healthier.

It takes a lot of intelligence time and effort to become a renowned scientist.....it doesn't take any of that to be a politician.  The other problem is the media is too often portrayed as biased and as such nobody really knows what to think.  The issue with media is filling content with opinionated personalities that are purported to be journalists and sully the reputation of that media provider. 

That is the problem with society today. 

12 hours ago, Tony said:

e48.gif

Personal attacks allowed now?

What I said was true. There are people who die with COVID and people who die from COVID. The numbers we see are the ones with COVID. Look it up nut job.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

SINGAPORE — A study of 1,000 household contacts of Covid-19 cases in Singapore has shown that messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) vaccines have an effectiveness of 69 per cent against the Delta variant of the coronavirus, regardless of symptoms, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said. 

Speaking at a virtual press conference on Wednesday (July 7), he said the study by the National Centre for Infectious Diseases and the Ministry of Health (MOH) looked at household contacts of Covid-19 cases between September last year and the end of May this year. 

The findings are quite consistent with international observations, he added. 

Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines approved for Singapore's vaccination programme use mRNA technology.

“Recently, there was a reported figure from Israel that the Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy against infection is 64 per cent. Ours registered as 69 per cent, so it's roughly that,” Mr Ong said.

“And this data will be submitted for international publication as Singapore's contribution to the understanding of the Delta variant and the vaccines." [...]

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapore-study-shows-covid-19-mrna-vaccines-are-69-effective-against-delta-variant-ong-ye

thing still spreads like a motherfucker through unvaccinated populations, including a ton through children.

The second-worst scenario

The worst-case scenario for Pfizer and Moderna was that their COVID-19 vaccines wouldn't work. The second-worst scenario might be that their vaccines work too well.

Washington University School of Medicine immunologist Ali Ellebedy led a team of researchers attempting to determine how long the protection provided by messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines would last. Their findings were recently published in Naturemagazine.

The key takeaway from this research was that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine could provide immunity for years. And while Moderna's vaccine wasn't included in the study, Ellebedy thinks it would likely provide similar longevity because of its similar mRNA approach.

There's a major financial implication with this recent finding for Pfizer and Moderna. If their vaccines provide protection against COVID-19 for years, the companies won't sell nearly as many vaccine doses in future as they will in 2021 and 2022.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/07/07/could-pfizer-and-moderna-now-face-their-second-wor/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

With Delta and Lambda, BigPharma still has plenty of profits to make from boosters and adjusting to all the world variants/mutations in real time.  They’re talking about Alpha.

Biden said something yesterday about going door to door in neighborhoods offering the vaccine. I would imagine there will be some wild scenes unfolding on porches where they try that. People are making up their own minds. Not many people are going to let the door to door medical personnel jab them.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Biden said something yesterday about going door to door in neighborhoods offering the vaccine. I would imagine there will be some wild scenes unfolding on porches where they try that. People are making up their own minds. Not many people are going to let the door to door medical personnel jab them.

I’m guessing the main targets will be the working poor in urban areas…underserved minority communities, etc.

That said, governors like Justice in WV and Hutchinson in ARK are starting to realize that they need to campaign more actively against misinformation campaigns or become hotspots like southern Missouri and the Ozarks due to young people congregating during the summer.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Wow. So I have received both doses of vax, got fully vaxxed long ago,. The mask mandate here is pretty much gone (for now, I figure it's coming back with all the virus talk returning lately) so I haven't been wearing the mask the last five days I'd say. Am I gonna get COVID or am I OK? I've gotten vaxxed for gosh sakes.

Edited by greg775

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Wow. So I have received both doses of vax, got fully vaxxed long ago,. The mask mandate here is pretty much gone (for now, I figure it's coming back with all the virus talk returning lately) so I haven't been wearing the mask the last five days I'd say. Am I gonna get COVID or am I OK? I've gotten vaxxed for gosh sakes.

Most people who are getting sick are not vaccinated. The more people in your community who get vaccinated the less risk you will have now and in the future.

The best thing you can do is convince other people to do their part and get vaccinated so we dont have a repeat of last year. 

• Like 1

So, I gotta ask the group:

Should I enjoy some schadenfreude, or feel a white hot rage in seeing the erupting clusters of cases in the southern US?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
Amazingly, schadenfreude autocorrected incorrectly

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So, I gotta ask the group:

Should I enjoy some chadenfreude, or feel a white hot rage in seeing the erupting clusters of cases in the southern US?

Anger at their stupidity and at how they question things rather than focus on solutions to this virus. 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, greg775 said:

Greg, as caufield said, they are probably going to poor and underserved areas. They might try in rural area where they are getting bad information. If they decline, then fine, that’s their individual right. But they have no one to blame but themselves if they get infected. I hope the Biden administration has a great strategy for vaccinating kids and getting the boosters out, then the unvaccinated have to re-evaluate their decision.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

The good thing is even if you get it, the vaccine has still proven to be remarkably effective against hospitalization and death - 

40 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

The good thing is even if you get it, the vaccine has still proven to be remarkably effective against hospitalization and death - 

Good. I really don't want any part of the disease and so far I've obeyed all suggestions, etc. I don't wanna play with Covid.