COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The portion of the population that is obese is more likely to be hospitalized from COVID per your own analysis above. Also, the portion of Americans that are overweight due to musculature are not the individuals that are getting hospitalized. So the 70% you quote (my research shows a little bit lower but not materially), X% of that 70% is healthy people. Additionally, people measuring as obese make up over half of the hospitalizations. The CDC's findings are specific: "among those under age 65. As BMI rose, so did the risk, the CDC found." 

"The risks for hospitalization, ICU admission and death were lowest among those with BMIs under 25. The "healthy weight" BMI range is between 18.5 and 24.9."

But go on trying to poke holes in the CDC's statistical findings just to disagree with me. I think it would be beneficial if our society understood the risks of being obese/overweight.  

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/78-of-covid-19-patients-hospitalized-in-the-us-overweight-or-obese-cdc-finds.html

Wassn't the risk for hospitializaion, ICU admission and death lowest among those with BMIs under 25 before we ever heard of Covid 19?  The fact is, you can still die from it or cause someone else to die from it. 

Just now, StrangeSox said:

I don't want overweight people getting sick and dying, either. I'm not sure what the point of all those posts are.

The vaccines aren't 100% and the newer variants seem to be having measurable impact on efficacy. 

If England is getting 40k cases per day, we will be back to big numbers very soon.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'm about to get into the market for a post-COVID girlfirend. Should I lead with my excellent work here on Soxtalk?

If you join the Soxtalk platinum package, we will also give you references should she ask.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If England is getting 40k cases per day, we will be back to big numbers very soon.

Man, remember when Pence wrote that really stupid editorial last May declaring "there is no second wave"?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone at any level of government is going to be doing much in the way of NPI's regardless of how much things ramp up again. And of course, more cases=more chances for variants. It's a horrific cycle that so much of the world is locked into right now.

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Man, remember when Pence wrote that really stupid editorial last May declaring "there is no second wave"?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone at any level of government is going to be doing much in the way of NPI's regardless of how much things ramp up again. And of course, more cases=more chances for variants. It's a horrific cycle that so much of the world is locked into right now.

The can scream about it at the top of their lungs, but too much of the country won't believe it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The can scream about it at the top of their lungs, but too much of the country won't believe it.

Everyone from the WH on down through governors' offices and mayors etc. want to declare this pandemic done and over with. Outside experts will scream, but nobody will listen.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

It's quite amazing that pence was able to top his "actually cigarettes are not bad for you" Op-Ed from 2000,  but by god he did it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Everyone from the WH on down through governors' offices and mayors etc. want to declare this pandemic done and over with. Outside experts will scream, but nobody will listen.

What is the most surreal about it is how much it mirrors previous history.  So many people either quit caring, or just pretended it isn't real.  1/3 of the population died over time.

Then you start looking at some of the wackier stuff like the flagellants coming out of the black plague, and see the similarities again.

21 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'm about to get into the market for a post-COVID girlfirend. Should I lead with my excellent work here on Soxtalk?

Can't hurt? 😂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It was talked about on this site at the time....you were never going to able to put the toothpaste back in the tube after you "opened things back up"

Far too many people, on both sides of the aisle, won't go back to how life was in say April or May of 2020. I get it too, I don't want to go back to that either.....but I also don't want COVID and different variants playing a major role in our culture for the next 10+ years. Sounds like we may not have a choice.

59 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Speaking from England, things aren't as bad as the figures suggest, the infection rate is going up, but the hospitalisation and death rate has not risen as fast as before because of vaccinations reducing the impact of covid if you do get it. The survival rate for double vaccinated people is very good even with the new Delta variant. But the big question is how the removal of all covid restrictions will impact rates after July 19th.

6 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

You should just create a signature that says you've been vaxxed with both shots.

It would be easier than reminding us on every single post you make in this thread. ;)

I feel I need to point this out since I sympathize with anti vaxxers and understand their position.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

I've been reading some stuff (I need to stop) and you are right. Covid concern is over with. It makes you wonder why we had ANY shutdowns to begin with considering the current way of tackling this problem is 100 percent different from April of 2020 on. I was reading the Big 12 commissioner said any cancellations this year cause of Covid will be forfeits, not makeups. Also stadiums are already full. Vegas had 60,000 for Garth Brooks. You don't see a mask anywhere.

It's pretty obvious we're done with Covid no matter the future outbreaks. Makes you wonder again why we EVER had restrictions. The plan now appears to be herd immunity and really it's silly to think any restrictions were in place before at all. We've gone from Covid mania and paranoia (politics, cough cough) to absolutely no chance of lockdowns or anything like that coming in the future.

Remember when you couldn't get a roll of toilet paper? Remember when greg couldn't get a haircut for 3.5 months? all the concern? As far as I can tell and see it's gone. Again ... you never see a mask anymore except in the lingering states where roughneck dictatorial politicians still can't give up all the power (like ordering kids to wear masks in class this fall). This is all so poorly handled and absurd. Meanwhile let's fight each other some more as China and Russia laugh at America softening itself up for future conflicts by hating itself so. much.

Anybody agree with greg for once? Peace out.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Speaking from England, things aren't as bad as the figures suggest, the infection rate is going up, but the hospitalisation and death rate has not risen as fast as before because of vaccinations reducing the impact of covid if you do get it. The survival rate for double vaccinated people is very good even with the new Delta variant. But the big question is how the removal of all covid restrictions will impact rates after July 19th.

This got buried but it is true that hospitalizations and deaths aren't rising as fast as they had previously in the UK. Probably because the older population is even more thoroughly vaccinated than the rest of the population.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I've been reading some stuff (I need to stop) and you are right. Covid concern is over with. It makes you wonder why we had ANY shutdowns to begin with. I was reading the Big 12 commissioner said any cancellations this year cause of Covid will be forfeits, not makeups. Also stadiums are already full. Vegas had 60,000 for Garth Brooks. You don't see a mask anywhere.

It's pretty obvious we're done with Covid no matter the future outbreaks. Makes you wonder again why we EVER had restrictions. The plan now appears to be herd immunity and really it's silly to think any restrictions were in place before at all. We've gone from Covid mania and paranoia (politics, cough cough) to absolutely no chance of lockdowns or anything like that coming in the future.

Remember when you couldn't get a roll of toilet paper? Remember all the concern? As far as I can tell and see it's gone. Again ... you never see a mask anymore except in the lingering states where roughneck dictatorial politicians still can't give up all the power (like ordering kids to wear masks in class this fall). This is all so poorly handled and absurd. Meanwhile let's fight each other some more as China and Russia laugh at America softening itself up for future conflicts by hating itself so. much.

Over a hundred million people in this country have been vaccinated. Even still, we've had hundreds of thousands of deaths with thousands more to come. With zero NPI's, we'd already be over a million.

18 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

This got buried but it is true that hospitalizations and deaths aren't rising as fast as they had previously in the UK. Probably because the older population is even more thoroughly vaccinated than the rest of the population.

There is a second possible compounding factor. By every estimate only a fraction of the actually infected ever had a positive test - 600k dead in this country, 30 million positive tests, a 1% death rate implies half the actual cases were missed, and my best guess is that it is closer to 75% of the infections missed.

Since January, testing has become far less constrained, they can be bought on the shelf at my CVS now. Health departments are facing contact tracing for 20k cases a day instead of 200k. There is now better leadership overall, and health departments received a funding boost that was 8 months overdue in the rescue package. If all that adds up to a higher fraction of infected individuals testing positive, then the hospitalization and death rates would appear to go down. 

For the simple example, if previously 25% of the actually infected tested positive, and now 50 % of the actually infected receive positive tests, then the hospitalization and death rates would appear so drop by a factor of 2.

While the vaccine likely plays some role, I don’t know how to unwind those two effects to say how much. With sufficient statistics on vaccinated populations and reliable stats on infections and deaths in a lot of communities it could be done, but those stats have been badly politicized throughout.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:31 AM, greg775 said:

I've been reading some stuff (I need to stop) and you are right. Covid concern is over with. It makes you wonder why we had ANY shutdowns to begin with considering the current way of tackling this problem is 100 percent different from April of 2020 on. I was reading the Big 12 commissioner said any cancellations this year cause of Covid will be forfeits, not makeups. Also stadiums are already full. Vegas had 60,000 for Garth Brooks. You don't see a mask anywhere.

Remember when you couldn't get a roll of toilet paper? Remember when greg couldn't get a haircut for 3.5 months? all the concern? As far as I can tell and see it's gone. Again ... you never see a mask anymore except in the lingering states where roughneck dictatorial politicians still can't give up all the power (like ordering kids to wear masks in class this fall). This is all so poorly handled and absurd. Meanwhile let's fight each other some more as China and Russia laugh at America softening itself up for future conflicts by hating itself so. much.

How many people older than 60 were you willing to sacrifice?

If every American had the opportunity to choose one of their four grandparents to die if they could have instead gone through the last 18 months without any restrictions…keeping all their supposed rights and freedoms…how many would make that choice?  What if they were already over 70 or 80?  Still no takers, right?

Almost nobody, or I’d like to think very few.  It sounds like Hitler, or at least Thanos.

Covid is never a problem…until it has real life consequences among your family or friends, then viewpoints quickly change.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:31 PM, greg775 said:

Greg, how could we be done with COVID  despite future outbreaks? If lockdowns and restrictions didn’t occur, more people would have caught the virus and died…

If this is too political please kill. I consider it important to a COVID discussion. I am concerned that the government in conjunction with a private company is 'flagging' posts of misinformation regarding the pandemic. Who decides if it's misinformation?? I seem to recall when one was banned for suggesting COVID was created in a lab. Now it's a viable possibility.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/critics-slam-psaki-white-houseconsulting-facebook-flag-misinformation

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If this is too political please kill. I consider it important to a COVID discussion. I am concerned that the government in conjunction with a private company is 'flagging' posts of misinformation regarding the pandemic. Who decides if it's misinformation?? I seem to recall when one was banned for suggesting COVID was created in a lab. Now it's a viable possibility.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/critics-slam-psaki-white-houseconsulting-facebook-flag-misinformation

You're putting up a link from Fox News, the propaganda network?