George Floyd Thread

greg775

$40 trillion, after all, is only 40% of the entire net worth of all Americans combined.

An ambitious plan, for sure, but we need to return to the real issue of some form of tangible, concrete police reform.

Not defunding all departments nationwide, and certainly not turning the White House into an armed fortress, either.

It’s going to come from investments (or redistributions), like the LA and numerous big city police departments around the country, major US corporations, foundations, Mike Jordan, professional sports leagues, Softbank’s $100 million investment fund for minority tech entrepreneurs.

It’s going to be a number in the trillions before all is said and done, but it won’t be in the form of direct payments across the board.  Scholarships, for example.  Investment zones.   An adoption of best practices from the top 10-15% of charter schools that can be applied across the board to public education.  Prison reforms.   Child nutrition and healthcare.   A real, honest appraisal of why the War on Poverty failed, and ways in which public/private partnerships can bridge the gap, instead of just throwing money at problems or creating more government programs...there has to be a better approach, in the same way that every sports league has embraced analytics, but it can’t be just cold hard numbers.  A more humanistic response, focused on shared or common values that we can all form a consensus around as a nation.  Accountability, but, most importantly, results.

Mayor Eric Garcetti said he will direct $250 million to youth jobs, health initiatives and “peace centers” to heal trauma, and will allow those who have suffered discrimination to collect damages. The money will have to be cut from other city operations; Garcetti, backed by City Council President Nury Martinez and his new Police Commission president, said as much as $150 million would come from the Los Angeles Police Department.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-05/eric-garcetti-lapd-budget-cuts-10000-officers-protests

Edited by caulfield12

On 6/5/2020 at 11:41 AM, Balta1701 said:

Why should I trust any of them in any situation? I shouldn’t.

Luckily you are in a state that makes concealed carry easy as can be. No need to depend on the police when you can defend yourself. 

Exactly, crazies with chain saws. Why anyone, especially someone with a family, would take their chances without a gun is beyond my understanding. Add in cops that may or may not help you. No need to be helpless. 

4 hours ago, NWINFan said:

One sick thing about this is GOP senators refusing to even give a no comment when asked about tear-gassing peaceful protestors so Trump can have a  photo op. They know that their leader has failed to handle this crisis and they won't say one word about it. And the mere idea of using the military to police citizens is one other thing they know is wrong. And they won't say a word about that, either.

They can't say anything. They'll be run out of office/town. Keeping the peace in the streets is not a position one is allowed to have. As far as Trump, he's going to be voted out in November so why is everybody so stressed about his photo op? There are things senators shouldn't make a comment on with everybody ready to run force them to resign.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

$40 trillion, after all, is only 40% of the entire net worth of all Americans combined.

An ambitious plan, for sure, but we need to return to the real issue of some form of tangible, concrete police reform.

Not defunding all departments nationwide, and certainly not turning the White House into an armed fortress, either.

It’s going to come from investments (or redistributions), like the LA and numerous big city police departments around the country, major US corporations, foundations, Mike Jordan, professional sports leagues, Softbank’s $100 million investment fund for minority tech entrepreneurs.

It’s going to be a number in the trillions before all is said and done, but it won’t be in the form of direct payments across the board.  Scholarships, for example.  Investment zones.   An adoption of best practices from the top 10-15% of charter schools that can be applied across the board to public education.  Prison reforms.   Child nutrition and healthcare.   A real, honest appraisal of why the War on Poverty failed, and ways in which public/private partnerships can bridge the gap, instead of just throwing money at problems or creating more government programs...there has to be a better approach, in the same way that every sports league has embraced analytics, but it can’t be just cold hard numbers.  A more humanistic response, focused on shared or common values that we can all form a consensus around as a nation.  Accountability, but, most importantly, results.

Mayor Eric Garcetti said he will direct $250 million to youth jobs, health initiatives and “peace centers” to heal trauma, and will allow those who have suffered discrimination to collect damages. The money will have to be cut from other city operations; Garcetti, backed by City Council President Nury Martinez and his new Police Commission president, said as much as $150 million would come from the Los Angeles Police Department.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-05/eric-garcetti-lapd-budget-cuts-10000-officers-protests

Thanks for explaining. I appreciate the knowledge.

At 40 percent of all the net worth of all Americans combined I like my plan WAY better. Look, all the programs you state are fine, but America has always been about cold hard cash. Dollars. Look at sports. Look at politics. Look at EVERYTHING. African Americans want immediate action/change regarding these murders by racist cops. Reparations should be direct payments, something everybody can see and react to immediately. If it's 40 percent of all wealth, that means we survive as a country economically in handing out reparations that should end unrest. I mean if a million dollars per person doesn't prove America is serious about making amends, then we're all doomed anyway.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Exactly, crazies with chain saws. Why anyone, especially someone with a family, would take their chances without a gun is beyond my understanding. Add in cops that may or may not help you. No need to be helpless. 

This changes everything. Like you say everyone now needs to have a gun and be properly trained how to use it. To go without a gun from now on seems as if you are failing to protect your family. It's irresponsible to not have a gun. At any moment your house could be leveled or at the very least invaded ... by protestors, by police, by anarchists. Time for me to research how to buy a gun and get trained.

And the people that want to get rid of all police departments, which have included government officials in Minneapolis, have no right to tell me to not buy a gun.

p.s. Is it ok for me to start a thread asking for advice about how to purchase a gun, best gun to get, how to register it, etc? I want to be responsible but I don't want to inflame the board.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

They can't say anything. They'll be run out of office/town. Keeping the peace in the streets is not a position one is allowed to have. As far as Trump, he's going to be voted out in November so why is everybody so stressed about his photo op? There are things senators shouldn't make a comment on with everybody ready to run force them to resign.

You can't make any assumption about the election. Five months is a long time. But here is my real point: In 1968, Eugene McCarthy ran for president to challenge Lyndon Johnson on Vietnam. In 1974, Barry Goldwater went to the White House and told Nixon to resign. There is a time to challenge the leadership of a party. They can say something; they just won't.

This changes everything. Like you say everyone now needs to have a gun and be properly trained how to use it. To go without a gun from now on seems as if you are failing to protect your family. It's irresponsible to not have a gun. At any moment your house could be leveled or at the very least invaded ... by protestors, by police, by anarchists. Time for me to research how to buy a gun and get trained.

And the people that want to get rid of all police departments, which have included government officials in Minneapolis, have no right to tell me to not buy a gun.

p.s. Is it ok for me to start a thread asking for advice about how to purchase a gun, best gun to get, how to register it, etc? I want to be responsible but I don't want to inflame the board.

I already got you covered back on May 23rd. You have to protect yourself from that exotic ice cream eating governor. 

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

Thanks Tex, I just watched a video and it got rave reviews as a carry gun. Thank u.

The key is to practice. I enjoy a nice afternoon outside at the ranch, but a range is great for meeting people. I'm certain there is a good gun shop near you and most gun dealers employee folks that can guide you to the right choice. It has to feel good in your hand. 

25 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The key is to practice. I enjoy a nice afternoon outside at the ranch, but a range is great for meeting people. I'm certain there is a good gun shop near you and most gun dealers employee folks that can guide you to the right choice. It has to feel good in your hand. 

Thanks again. I think it's now necessary to own a gun. I never thought so before, but I want to be safe and able to use it in self defense. The one you suggested seems perfect, is affordable, and the gun dealer can steer me to lessons at the ranges.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Greg, why do you now sound like someone in CT hanging out on a rooftop in the mid 1960’s, afraid of Malcolm X or the Black Panthers...

America, by and large, still leans to the right on “law and order” issues.  Defunding every police force across the country overnight isn’t happening.  And everything we’ve been doing for the last fifty years isn’t working out that well, either.   You never know, maybe those crazy liberals in Minnesota or California just might surprise us all...because spending as much money on private prisons/incarceration as we do is equally insane.

The ten countries with the highest incarceration rates are:

1. United States (737)
  2. Russia (615)  shouldn’t be too proud to be ahead of an authoritarian (formerly Communist) country
  3. Ukraine (350)  see point 2
  4. South Africa (334)  should definitely not be too proud to lead a formerly apartheid country
  5. Poland (235)  see point 3
  6. Mexico (196)  after June, 2015, maybe they should be more afraid of us, than the other way around?  At best, a draw
  7. Brazil (193)  attempting to emulate Trump in leadership style, Covid (lack of) response and poverty/incarceration rates

Thanks again. I think it's now necessary to own a gun. I never thought so before, but I want to be safe and able to use it in self defense. The one you suggested seems perfect, is affordable, and the gun dealer can steer me to lessons at the ranges.

I actually mention a couple more options in that thread. You need to hold a couple, fire a few if they will allow it. A couple NRA or gun stickers in the window will scare away a lot of folks up there. Here, they just blend in. 

Keep in mine while there may be a handgun hunting season, it will be better to get a shotgun to really fill that freezer. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, why do you now sound like someone in CT hanging out on a rooftop in the mid 1960’s, afraid of Malcolm X or the Black Panthers...

America, by and large, still leans to the right on “law and order” issues.  Defunding every police force across the country overnight isn’t happening.  And everything we’ve been doing for the last fifty years isn’t working out that well, either.   You never know, maybe those crazy liberals in Minnesota or California just might surprise us all...because spending as much money on private prisons/incarceration as we do is equally insane.

The ten countries with the highest incarceration rates are:

1. United States (737)
  2. Russia (615)  shouldn’t be too proud to be ahead of an authoritarian (formerly Communist) country
  3. Ukraine (350)  see point 2
  4. South Africa (334)  should definitely not be too proud to lead a formerly apartheid country
  5. Poland (235)  see point 3
  6. Mexico (196)  after June, 2015, maybe they should be more afraid of us, than the other way around?  At best, a draw
  7. Brazil (193)  attempting to emulate Trump in leadership style, Covid (lack of) response and poverty/incarceration rates

Couple things scared me and made me think I'd need a gun: 1.) governors and mayors not stopping the looters. They could try to turn my car over and kill me if i'm in the wrong place. 2.) looters entering neighborhoods. My friend with a place in a Chicago lakefront highrise said the rioters were within yards of his building and if they wanted could have headed up the elevators. He is buying a gun this week so it made me think. 3. Abolition of police force would mean The Purge and anarchy. The fact normal people are talking about it as a serious option makes me realize they are serious and lawlessness could be here soon. 4.) the police could get pissed off and freak out at some point.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Couple things scared me and made me think I'd need a gun: 1.) governors and mayors not stopping the looters. They could try to turn my car over and kill me if i'm in the wrong place. 2.) looters entering neighborhoods. My friend with a place in a Chicago lakefront highrise said the rioters were within yards of his building and if they wanted could have headed up the elevators. He is buying a gun this week so it made me think. 3. Abolition of police force would mean The Purge and anarchy. The fact normal people are talking about it as a serious option makes me realize they are serious and lawlessness could be here soon. 4.) the police could get pissed off and freak out at some point.

The last time you would have been right to worry was the Lawrence Massacre of 1863, led by Quantrill’s raiders.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-mayor-says-elderly-protester-121757748.html

Buffalo mayor tries about face, blames 75 year-old as an “agitator”

The mayor of Buffalo has said that the elderly protester filmed being knocked to the ground by police in a now viral video was an “agitator” who has been asked to leave the area “numerous” times.

Byron Brown said that the 75-year-old man, Martin Gugino, was trying to “spark up the crowd of people”.

Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans said the officers were “simply doing their job” and the man “slipped” during the interaction, which was aired by local news WBFO on Thursday night.

“Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square,” Mr Evans told The Buffalo News.

It doesn’t specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don’t know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards.”

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thank god your an internet troll and not a real life human being.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

Once you get the feel of that cold steel in your hands the fear goes away. Stare down those paper villains at the gun range and strut down any street in Kansas like you're Andy and Opie in Mayberry. If you start feeling scared again think about a dozen 9mm in your holster. That's better than a blue diamond to put a little lead in the old pencil. 

1. So think about where you are going to store your gun when you are driving. Think, can I reach this if my car is turned over?

2. Elevators will not save you. Even if the elevators are turned off, buildings have stairs. Pro tip - think about the fire escape. Every path could be blocked. Carry extra clips.

3. "Normal" people have been owning guns in this country for hundreds of years. All those Revolutionary War  heroes in our textbooks? Gun Owners. Civil War heroes? Gun Owners. Founding Fathers? Gun Owners. Charles Manson? Not a gun owner. Jeffery Dahmer? Not a gun owner. John Gacey? Not a gun owner. I think you have to redefine who you think is normal pards. 

4. They already are. So stay indoors and look as white and straight as possible. Learn all the white supremacy hand signals. An orange glow is an extra nice touch if you feel threatened. And of course, vote. 

• Haha 4

I was trying to figure out why anyone was afraid of their vehicle being turned over and then realized you need a proper truck to match that new shootin' iron. 

Nothing screams leave me the fuck alone than an F350 dually diesel. I'd lift it but if you're a bit short that might not work for you. I'm partial to the Texas edition.

Have you started preppen' food? 

1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is “community led public safety” exactly?

Something that doesn’t work only for the rich and kill and impoverish black and brown people. 

We’re about to find out but I will say and tell everyone is that when people say “Defund the police” or “Abolish the police” they’re not calling to the end of law enforcement, they’re calling for an entire revamp of the system as it is currently. I’ve been telling people that we have to keep fighting but we can’t forget about the courts, judges and prosecutors. 

• Thanks 4

On 6/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, Balta1701 said:

Tweet from the mayor of McAllen. I lived there for 20 years and never witnessed anything like that. 

The “chainsaw man” has been arrested.  We will not tolerate such conduct in our City of McAllen.  We apologize to the protesters that were threatened by him. That is not what we do or who we are!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Tweet from the mayor of McAllen. I lived there for 20 years and never witnessed anything like that. 

The “chainsaw man” has been arrested.  We will not tolerate such conduct in our City of McAllen.  We apologize to the protesters that were threatened by him. That is not what we do or who we are!

Black and brown communities are coming together in California...but, as you can see from this video, it’s not a necessarily a uniform process.  There are lots of scars over the past two hundred or so years of American history.

• Quin locked this topic