Mazara starting season on IL?

joejoesox

Not good. We needed a good LHH against all the righties we will be facing. I realize Mazara would prolly only bat like 7th but we need as many RHP killers as possible. 

Basabe is a switch hitter and would be more than capable defensively in RF. I wonder if he'd get a look if Engel is overwhelmed at the plate. I would imagine that for now Basabe would be a lock for the 30 man roster.

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Not good. We needed a good LHH against all the righties we will be facing. I realize Mazara would prolly only bat like 7th but we need as many RHP killers as possible. 

Basabe is a switch hitter and would be more than capable defensively in RF. I wonder if he'd get a look if Engel is overwhelmed at the plate. I would imagine that for now Basabe would be a lock for the 30 man roster.

I'd honestly rather give Basabe a look than waste time on Engel. Engel is a 4th OF against LHP and that's it. Engel doesn't have an arm for RF either, while Basabe has a cannon. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Engel makes peanut shells. Leury and Holt each makes $3.25.  I think Leury is a little better in that I don't think Holt ever plays CF.

You're right on CF but Holt is also a much better hitter than the rest. .340 career OBP, >.360 the last 2 years. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Scooter Gennett is still unsigned.He's probably as good a right fielder as Mazara except for his arm which is important in RF. Offer him $1M for a couple of months. How can you turn that down ? Stick him on the taxi squad and see what you have. I always wanted Corey Dickerson but I stuck up fiercely for Mazara because he had superstar upside .

Mazara was also having a great spring training .364 .462 .545 1.007 . Loved that 1 Ab we saw recently in the intrasquad game when he just placed the ball on the ground towards SS when they shifted on him to get a single and drive in a run . If that was Madrigal everyone would have been raving about his baseball IQ.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Scooter Gennett is still unsigned.He's probably as good a right fielder as Mazara except for his arm which is important in RF. Offer him $1M for a couple of months. How can you turn that down ? Stick him on the taxi squad and see what you have. I always wanted Corey Dickerson but I stuck up fiercely for Mazara because he had superstar upside .

I have no problem rolling the dice on the versatility of a Scooter Gennett.

I know it's a shortened season but I'd rather just roll with Engel/Leury in RF than sign a cold gennett for a 1 week issue.

And to me the bigger concern is another sox player getting COVID while in camp. NBA bubble even in a hell zone certain still seems more practical.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I know it's a shortened season but I'd rather just roll with Engel/Leury in RF than sign a cold gennett for a 1 week issue.

And to me the bigger concern is another sox player getting COVID while in camp. NBA bubble even in a hell zone certain still seems more practical.

Part of the problem is that we don't know it's a 1-week issue, and I definitely am not fine with the idea of Engel/Leury in RF for more than a few games here and there

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Part of the problem is that we don't know it's a 1-week issue, and I definitely am not fine with the idea of Engel/Leury in RF for more than a few games here and there

7 games is > 10% of this season. Crazy.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I think Puig might have tested positive. Not entirely sure where to check on that though. Maybe someone here knows for sure.

Yes Puig tested positive for COVID. He made an ig post a few days ago saying he feels fine and asymptotic. 

Edited by Bad Hombre

4 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

I’m just hoping Mazara doesn’t have COVID, because that would mean he tested positive after the intake process thus exposing others on the team. 

Yep this is definitely not good. It’s pretty obvious he did test positive.

7 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Yes Puig tested positive for COVID. He made an ig post a few days ago saying he feels fine and asymptotic. 

Maybe someone here knows and could post about the status of his test. I don’t know if he’s got COVID.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?  He’s not the with the team anymore and aren’t they doing testing every other day?

You can spread it asymptomatically and the incubation period for symptoms is 7-10 days. He's been around the team for a week before he got sick, who knows who else was exposed. This is going to be an interesting test for the MLB protocol. Given the science, he was probably spreading for 2-4 days before he knew he was sick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman