Mazara starting season on IL?

joejoesox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Balta1701 is this true?  I could be a total idiot, but it seems to defy basic science.

Yes. Think of the procedure that is happening - the virus enters your lungs and begins replicating. It moves into the bloodstream and begins replicating. But it takes time to go from 1000 viruses in the body to millions or billions. The test is "Swab at the back of your nasal cavity", which means you have to have virus actively replicating back there, and you have to have enough of it for the virus to be detected by the DNA test. 

I guess for comparison think of it like a test for DUI - you need to build up a concentration before you hit the limit that breaks the law. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do we know if it is possible to not have enough virus load to be detectable, yet have enough to be contagious?  Seems counter intuitive to me, but I also know nothing about virology so it is entirely possible too.

We're early in this so I'd assume that the tests aren't sensitive enough to make that determination yet. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The test that MLB uses(saliva) is all about reaching a certain threshold of viral concentration. If the concentration is below what is detectable, infected players will continue to test negative until that threshold is reached. That is basic science, and it's pretty easy to understand. 

Ok, but it’s not directly related to be symptomatic correct?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think two false negatives is likely though?

I would say that we should use some existence of priors and base rates + 2 negatives + no symptoms would make it extremely unlikely that someone has it, rather than letting extreme scenarios instead define that because something could happen it is likely to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On days 1 and 3 after infection? It may not be certain but everything we know about this virus says it would be common. It takes 5-7 days for symptoms to appear in a great number of people, and the tests don't beat the appearance of symptoms by that much. 

The hope is that testing often enough you catch guys before they are contagious for very long, and if you are outside with appropriate safety measures including masks most of the time, spreading is limited. 

And I haven't seen one player on the Sox batting or fielding with a mask on which means they are entering the dugout without a mask in close contact with many other players in the dugout who also aren't wearing masks.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do we know if it is possible to not have enough virus load to be detectable, yet have enough to be contagious?  Seems counter intuitive to me, but I also know nothing about virology so it is entirely possible too.

We do not know that and it would be extremely difficult to do that as a controlled test. You'd have to, for example, take a large group of people, infect them, test them every hour so that you know when the first positive test appears, and then somehow monitor the amount of virus they're putting out...or put them in with other test subjects who are rotated out every time they test someone and see when those test subjects get infected. 

Very difficult to get research approval when some of the test subjects are likely to become very ill from the experiment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I would say that we should use some existence of priors and base rates + 2 negatives + no symptoms would make it extremely unlikely that someone has it, rather than letting extreme scenarios instead define that because something could happen it is likely to happen.

You’re my new go to COVID expert bmags!

Just now, Balta1701 said:

We do not know that and it would be extremely difficult to do that as a controlled test. You'd have to, for example, take a large group of people, infect them, test them every hour so that you know when the first positive test appears, and then somehow monitor the amount of virus they're putting out...or put them in with other test subjects who are rotated out every time they test someone and see when those test subjects get infected. 

Very difficult to get research approval when some of the test subjects are likely to become very ill from the experiment.

^^^

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Main dugout has been where there were no masks being worn 

The good news is - that dugout is outside, so there should be plenty of ventilation, making it hard for a viral load to build up if people are moving around pretty quickly.

Baseball's whole plan, to say again, does not say "no one will ever get it" and it does not say "no one will spread it to their teammate". It is instead based on "We will not see large outbreaks that knock out multiple teams", which so far has been true and successful for us to get to this point.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Only because you want to believe science has it under control which they do not.

I don’t believe anything is under control when it comes to COVID, at least not in this country.  That being said, I do think testing every other day should greatly reduce the chance of a major team-wide outbreak, if (and it’s a big one), guys are social distancing and wearing masks.  I guess we’ll see how this all shakes, but no reason to assume the worst due to one positive test.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The good news is - that dugout is outside, so there should be plenty of ventilation, making it hard for a viral load to build up if people are moving around pretty quickly.

Baseball's whole plan, to say again, does not say "no one will ever get it" and it does not say "no one will spread it to their teammate". It is instead based on "We will not see large outbreaks that knock out multiple teams", which so far has been true and successful for us to get to this point.

Yes successful so far but it hasn't been that long that summer camp started and everyone came into camp after testing negative and now MAYBE Mazara has it. Let's just hope we are all jumping to conclusions and its just a bad cold or a flu.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes successful so far but it hasn't been that long that summer camp started and everyone came into camp after testing negative and now MAYBE Mazara has it. Let's just hope we are all jumping to conclusions and its just a bad cold or a flu.

If you've been counting, around the league there have been roughly 25 positive tests reported since the intake testing. The league confirmed the first 1/2 of these and just watching press reports you could count the additional ones. It's been about 1 a day this month league-wide, so there's now multiple examples here. People are getting it, but they haven't spread it to multiple people in the same camp like they were when 8 Phillies got it in June during workouts. 

We haven't seen how this will work with teams traveling, but we have a lot of examples of 1 player having it, testing positive, and then being removed from their teammates without broad spreading, so count me as cautiously optimistic right now?

Too late to try this, but perhaps giving Eloy reps in RF would have been a good idea early in this camp.   If you desperately need a stronger bat, you can try plugging Mercedes in LF with Eloy in right.  Yes, Luis Robert would need to cover just about a whole football field. 

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you've been counting, around the league there have been roughly 25 positive tests reported since the intake testing. The league confirmed the first 1/2 of these and just watching press reports you could count the additional ones. It's been about 1 a day this month league-wide, so there's now multiple examples here. People are getting it, but they haven't spread it to multiple people in the same camp like they were when 8 Phillies got it in June during workouts. 

We haven't seen how this will work with teams traveling, but we have a lot of examples of 1 player having it, testing positive, and then being removed from their teammates without broad spreading, so count me as cautiously optimistic right now?

I am also cautiously optimistic but also realize ,as you do, that these players are in close contact in the dugout and probably other places like the training room and they are adverse to wearing masks while playing and probably trust the protocols a little more than they should.

22 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Too late to try this, but perhaps giving Eloy reps in RF would have been a good idea early in this camp.   If you desperately need a stronger bat, you can try plugging Mercedes in LF with Eloy in right.  Yes, Luis Robert would need to cover just about a whole football field. 

I do agree with this.