8-16 GT: Cardinals at Sox

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Sloppy SS2K5 at it again

"Sloppy" is really the best you can come up with?    You're slipping.    Like a certain someone ("from out West"), he evades easily being vulnerable to attack, by being...usually, reasonable/normal/rational/level-headed/mature.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, soxfan49 said:

In 120 games last year Eloy hit 31 homers and a .830 ops.

In 2020, he'd be on pace for 36 homers and an ops of .820.

And we're disappointed? Lord, what a fanbase

Given his defense an 820 OPS is at best 2 WAR.  At that point he's Avi.  That's not what we signed up for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

"Sloppy" is really the best you can come up with?    You're slipping.    Like a certain someone ("from out West"), he evades easily being vulnerable to attack, by being...usually, reasonable/normal/rational/level-headed/mature.

Another nasty post.

• Haha 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Given his defense an 820 OPS is at best 2 WAR.  At that point he's Avi.  That's not what we signed up for.

Yeah, we were promised a slightly lesser Manny Ramirez or Miguel Cabrera in terms of hitting impact.

That's at least an 875-925 guy in this day and age, but I'd argue 900-950ish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you signed up for good defense, of course he's a disappointment, but on that note, if you signed up for good defense, shame on you. Who gives a fuck about WAR if he's a 900-950 ops guy in his prime? Your life is disappointing

Edited by soxfan49

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

If you signed up for good defense, of course he's a disappointment, but on that note, if you signed up for good defense, shame on you. Who gives a fuck about WAR if he's a 900-950 ops guy in his prime? Your life is disappointing

Everyone's life is disappointing after we were 7-4 and on top of the world...briefly.

The only thing you can argue that is disappointing about Eloy (other than the defense) is his average. And that is mostly because he gets shifted on at the MLB level waaaaaay more than he did in the minors (I've seen numerous hits Eloy had get robbed cause of the shift). 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Wasn't arguing that, was simply saying an 820 OPS, with his limitations in the field, is nothing special.  Of course he's still young and doesn't even have 600 MLB PA.

Like Madrigal at 675-700ish OPS, just not good enough to be a true impact player.  There's always that trade off between offense and defense for the majority of players today.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

The only thing you can argue that is disappointing about Eloy (other than the defense) is his average. And that is mostly because he gets shifted on at the MLB level waaaaaay more than he did in the minors (I've seen numerous hits Eloy had get robbed cause of the shift). 

I was expecting him to walk more than he has. Basically, I was expecting JD Martinez, or something like .290/.350/.900+

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

But isn't THAT the job of each individual hitter to make adjustments?   Cue Greg rant that Jim Thome should be constantly bunting down the 3rd base line...and blowing out a hammy or Achilles' busting it down the line.