What should the Sox do with James McCann?

Tony

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If people are talking $30 million+ for McCann, with one person in this thread saying $50, any chance he could receive a qualifying offer?

Yes you give a QO and I think you offer 3 years 30 mil. He most likely turns it down and gets more money, but there are way worse ways to spend $10mil.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Yes you give a QO and I think you offer 3 years 30 mil. He most likely turns it down and gets more money, but there are way worse ways to spend $10mil.

There is zero chance McCann is turning down 1/$18M offer in a normal environment, let alone what will likely be a depressed free agent market due to COVID.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It does and I'm sorta of the same mindset.  If the sox can get a top 75 guy for him it's a no brainer.  You never will go broke buying for a dollar and selling for 2.  Trading aphorisms are applicable here.  Buy low sell high and be greedy when others are afraid.  Tell grandal to call more changeups...

No one is giving that up for 5 weeks of Jim McCann.  You might get a teams top 75 player, but not a league top 75.

Assuming you keep Leury, let Gio/EE go...how much would that save?

Mazara as well, of course, he would need to be replaced at potentially/likely a higher salary.

Hard to believe they're not going to give Rodon one last shot, at least out of the pen in the Andrew Miller role...after how long they've stuck with him.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Assuming you keep Leury, let Gio/EE go...how much would that save?

Mazara as well, of course, he would need to be replaced at potentially/likely a higher salary.

Hard to believe they're not going to give Rodon one last shot, at least out of the pen in the Andrew Miller role...after how long they've stuck with him.

Colome, Cishek, EE, Mazara, McCann, & Gio make a combined $42M.

That’s a ton of money freed up and given what could be a team friendly market we could be serious players in free agency.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

Everyone has lost their minds.

COVID-19, whether true or hoax....the threat of continued stoppages of revenue into 2021 in terms of ticketing (season), food/concessions/beverages, souvenirs and parking, that's wiping out roughly 60-65% of team revenue.

One can easily imagine a downward adjustment of 20-40% on regular/"expected" contract offers as a result.

Great opportunity for league-wide collusion, PR campaign featuring teams like NYM supposedly losing $50-100 million per season, etc.

• Like 1

McCann's value is his game calling and defense for sure. But he's going to be the flavor because of the shortened season. As we saw last season when he was the guy back there, he faded dramatically in the second half. I just don't personally trust his bat in a full season. But he is still a valuable player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Colome, Cishek, EE, Mazara, McCann, & Gio make a combined $42M.

And stay with our existing pen or add ONE more outside piece (again)?   That ONE piece is like Dunning/Lopez/Rodon, or 2/3 of those guys.   Or even the possibility of Kopech moving into that back-end role to go along with Burdi, Bummer and Heuer + 3 already mentioned.

Edited by caulfield12

The reality was, we never should have signed Grandal.  I'm not saying he sucks, or will be bad based on his handful of games here.  What I'm saying is, he was a signing from a shitty GM who struck out on other options and had money to spend it, so he spent it.   Catcher wasn't a position of need for us to go and sign anyone.  Going in to this year, you roll with McCann and Collins and see what you have in both.  That money to Grandal should have been spent on pitching.  I'd rather have saved the money this year, see what McCann and Collins provided and reassess next off season.  Then if you needed a catcher, go after one, or go after another need, like right field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one is giving that up for 5 weeks of Jim McCann.  You might get a teams top 75 player, but not a league top 75.

Probably but the leverage is real.  If a team (and I don't pretend to know which one) has a black hole at catcher and are at the end of their window to contend maybe ur ask gets filled by an over excited bidder.  

To me this season seems real and legit, I'd imagine the deadline is gonna be active.  Sox put a lure out on James who knows what will bite.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And stay with our existing pen or add ONE more outside piece (again)?   That ONE piece is like Dunning/Lopez/Rodon, or 2/3 of those guys.   Or even the possibility of Kopech moving into that back-end role to go along with Burdi, Bummer and Heuer + 3 already mentioned.

IMO, we need two main things this offseason, with those being a legit TOR starter to pair with Giolito and an upgrade in RF.  After that, we could always use more bullpen help, but that may end up being a less critical need if Heuer, Burdi, & Foster are the real deal and if Lopez & Rodon can be repurposed to the pen.

And as I mentioned before, if you believe we’re getting Yoeklis Cespedes then we may just need a one year stop-gap for RF.  Perhaps Pederson would consider a pillow contract given his slow start and poor market conditions.  Regardless, the bulk of our resources should go towards landing that TOR starter.  Maybe Bauer is open to one year deals like he’s hinted at in the past and we can sign him or maybe we can absorb a contract from a team that is hurting financially, but either way our resources should go towards getting that pitcher.

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would absolutely explore that option. But it’s not my money. 

There's no chance he takes the QO.  He's looking for years and security as he should be.  He's already proven his worth.  He's a vastly improved hitter from his time in Detroit.  He might only be a 2 WAR catcher next 3 years -- but as we know those guys don't grow on trees.  Some contender will give him the years.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smellysox said:

It is almost becoming an awkward situation. We have Grandal off to a really slow start and a really big contract. And then we have McCann picking up right where he left off. Plus the fact that he has a great flow/ game plan with Giolito.  And he has history with Keuchel too (teammates at Arkansas). I  think there is a way they both could coexist on this team. They both bring alot to the table. 

and he is good friends with Bauer.....just saying, could be a feather in the cap of the sox if they make a run and decide to spend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soulfly said:

The reality was, we never should have signed Grandal.  I'm not saying he sucks, or will be bad based on his handful of games here.  What I'm saying is, he was a signing from a shitty GM who struck out on other options and had money to spend it, so he spent it.   Catcher wasn't a position of need for us to go and sign anyone.  Going in to this year, you roll with McCann and Collins and see what you have in both.  That money to Grandal should have been spent on pitching.  I'd rather have saved the money this year, see what McCann and Collins provided and reassess next off season.  Then if you needed a catcher, go after one, or go after another need, like right field.

The gap between Grandal and McCann was much less than say Castellanos and our RF situation.  Or Wheeler and Gio Gonzalez. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's no chance he takes the QO.  He's looking for years and security as he should be.  He's already proven his worth.  He's a vastly improved hitter from his time in Detroit.  He might only be a 2 WAR catcher next 3 years -- but as we know those guys don't grow on trees.  Some contender will give him the years.

No chance? I think he’d be lucky to exceed $10M on an AAV basis. $18M+ is going to be really hard to turn down. 

• Like 1

You hand  the other catcher spot to Collins who will be 26 next year.  He can't call a game without looking into the dugout for signs.

And you rely on Grandal as the no. 1 catcher, a guy who looks like hr is boxing out physically and is currently sidelined  with lower back pain...always a good sign for a catcher's longevity.

McCann has almost no trade value. He will wait to be a FA if the Sox don't sign him.

So no loss, let an All Star catcher walk for your boy Collins,  a guy who is slow behind the plate , worth -.5 WAR and has hit  .167 in 102 major league at-bats.

I swear, some people want to suk Collins dry but I don't get the love. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

You hand  the other catcher spot to Collins who will be 26 next year.  He can't call a game without looking into the dugout for signs.

And you rely on Grandal as the no. 1 catcher, a guy who looks like hr is boxing out physically and is currently sidelined  with lower back pain...always a good sign for a catcher's longevity.

McCann has almost no trade value. He will wait to be a FA if the Sox don't sign him.

So no loss, let an All Star catcher walk for your boy Collins,  a guy who is slow behind the plate , worth -.5 WAR and has hit  .167 in 102 major league at-bats.

I swear, some people want to suk Collins dry but I don't get the love. 

The one benefit to no McCann in the future is that Grandal then should catch 145 or so games, which is exactly what he should do.