Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

FWIW Portillos saying Musgrove is still an option.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PortillosHambu1/status/1336200112188616704

I've been increasingly skeptical of these accounts, but all 3 of the main ones seemed to be on point today. I'm still not convinced that they're all different people, but maybe they're all legit

If they're not extending Lynn for another year or two I'm not a fan, and I don't even know if I'm a fan then, as Lynn probably drops off quite a bit over the next 3 years, if he even plays that long. I guess this buys you a year to see how Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Steiver develop, but odds are they'll just need to replace Lynn next year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

What about a finish of Joc, Q, Hendriks and Flowers....would that be ok?

I really think this is all they NEED to do. Sure I’d love a big a sexy name, but I truly believe at this point all they need are competent major leaguers that prevent you from relying on, well..... Dane Dunning. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I really think this is all they NEED to do. Sure I’d love a big a sexy name, but I truly believe at this point all they need are competent major leaguers that prevent you from relying on, well..... Dane Dunning. 

It wouldn’t be the sexiest offseason but it certainly makes the team better than what they were in 2020.

Just now, fathom said:

It wouldn’t be the sexiest offseason but it certainly makes the team better than what they were in 2020.

People are burned by 2015, which is fair, but fail to consider the list of good major league players in this core is literally already twice as long as the one they had then, and likely to got a fair bit longer. 

Attention

If you or a loved one was diagnosed with ProspectLove, you may be entitled to financial compensation.

PropsectLove is a rare form of prospect obsession linked to rebuilding team exposure.

Exposure to rebuilding teams such as the Astros, the Cubs, or the White Sox may have put you at risk.

Signs of ProspectLove include mood swings, hot take flashes, insomnia, obsession with prospect ceilings, and trade paranoia (Tatis syndrome).

Untreated PropsectLove can result in irrational behavior like over-valuing possible future performance, the ability to name the 37th prospect of a baseball team, arguing over the 37th prospect of a baseball team, or death.

Please don't wait. Call for a free legal consultation & financial information packet. 

1-800-99 Law USA

ProspectLove patients call now!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I doubt there would be much complaint if the Sox traded him for a player with longer term control. As has been pointed out, Lynn could have an excellent a year and the trade still could easily be a net loss. If the Sox continue making trades like this for stop gaps, the talent pool will be depleted very quickly. 

I'm not looking for rip off trades.

I want in their prime free agent acquisitions commiserate with major market ownership.

By his own admission,  P.T. Barnum 2.0 is only interested in keeping the base yearning and thirsty.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

People are burned by 2015, which is fair, but fail to consider the list of good major league players in this core is literally already twice as long as the one they had then, and likely to got a fair bit longer. 

Let's say they sign Quintana, Hendriks, Pederson and Brantley. That's still not enough to get past the big boys. 

The Dodgers had the best regular season team in baseball for YEARS and they had to ADD the 2nd best player on the planet to THAT team in order to win a world series. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Has anybody even posted highlights yet? His fastball is his bread and butter, clearly. Still throwing 96 mph. Hopefully he can keep it that high at 34 years old. He's also obese. 

Hes got the ideal male athlete physique. A real athlete needs that extra poundage to give them a nice reserve of energy to tap into.  

15 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Has anybody even posted highlights yet? His fastball is his bread and butter, clearly. Still throwing 96 mph. Hopefully he can keep it that high at 34 years old. He's also obese. 

Rick Reuschel, Mickey Lolich, Wilbur Wood, Tim Lincicum. Which one got hurt?

Edited by zisk
add

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Let's say they sign Quintana, Hendriks, Pederson and Brantley. That's still not enough to get past the big boys. 

The Dodgers had the best regular season team in baseball for YEARS and they had to ADD the 2nd best player on the planet to THAT team in order to win a world series. 

Building a team you can project out to 95 regular season wins is almost literally all you can do and hope for the best in the playoffs. 

The Dodgers odds of winning that World Series against a team with a payroll half that of the White Sox was still only a little better than a coin flip.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I doubt there would be much complaint if the Sox traded him for a player with longer term control. As has been pointed out, Lynn could have an excellent a year and the trade still could easily be a net loss. If the Sox continue making trades like this for stop gaps, the talent pool will be depleted very quickly. 

Sure but that long-term player would not have the pedigree of Lynn. Lynn has the potential to be a top 10 starter in the league. 

What you are describing is Yu Darvish. Similar age to Lynn with a couple more years on his contract. I would suspect the return for Darvish is going to be more than Dane Dunning and Avery Weems. 

1 minute ago, kwill said:

Sure but that long-term player would not have the pedigree of Lynn. Lynn has the potential to be a top 10 starter in the league. 

What you are describing is Yu Darvish. Similar age to Lynn with a couple more years on his contract. I would suspect the return for Darvish is going to be more than Dane Dunning and Avery Weems. 

With a lot less flexibility. 

26 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Dude, you hit the nail right on the head here. 

Nobody is mad they traded Dunning. 

Nobody is mad they acquired a pitcher as good as Lynn. 

People are mad that they traded 6 years of Dunning for only 1 year of Lynn. 

Dunning might not be shit, that's fine. But this trade was a horrid value and that's what we're complaining about. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I  guess we're screwed even if we sign Bauer and Springer since neither is close to a top two player in baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

With a lot less flexibility. 

Agreed. Like the White Sox could still get Pederson and Cruz. Have arguably the best lineup in the league with the best 1,2,3 in the AL. People would be complaining on this board about having to give up Dunning.

This does not preclude us from being able to sign Lynn to an extension. What happens if he signs a 2-40 million dollar extension. 

All I am saying is the deal in itself is not bad. Now if the Sox don't do anything else then I am furious but let's see how this thing plays out. 

Also #firetony

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic