Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox are rumored to have offered Dunning & Madrigal for Clevinger at last year’s deadline.  If true, I think it’s fair to wonder if those are the top prospects they deem expendable and are looking to convert them into win now pieces.  Obviously Dunning has already been moved for a starter, but could Madrigal be the next guy to go?

I actually like Nick quite a bit and think he gets way too much hate in regards to his fielding & base running, but he’s also a 2B with a limited ceiling if he can’t develop any power (still TBD, but not promising at the moment).  And the reality is there are several 2B in free agency that could be had for a very reasonable price that would likely provide ~2 wins next year, some that are left-handed and who would provide better balance to the lineup (Wong, La Stella, etc).  I’m not suggesting we trade Madrigal for the sake of it, but there is an incredibly strong argument to move him now if teams view him as a legit top 40/50 prospect and he can be the centerpiece for a controllable starter.  That’s probably unrealistic, as rebuilding teams are unlikely to want a low ceiling 2B as the main piece in a trade, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the Sox were exploring it. 

🤔

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Am I the only one who isn’t in love with Sonny Gray? He’s alright and on a team friendly contract, but he wouldn’t be my first choice to empty the farm for.

Who would your first choice be?  Castillo would cost a ton more and Woodruff just doesn’t seem realistic.  Musgrove?  Gonzalez?

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Am I the only one who isn’t in love with Sonny Gray? He’s alright and on a team friendly contract, but he wouldn’t be my first choice to empty the farm for.

Somewhere, JR just creamed his depends. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let me just remind everyone what I said before after we already traded Dane Dunning... “There definitely won’t be more than one on the move.”

Got it!

👍

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Let me just remind everyone what I said before after we already traded Dane Dunning... “There definitely won’t be more than one on the move.”

Got it!

👍

Lol...I noticed that too.  But his list does make sense to me based on what we’ve heard elsehwhere.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who would your first choice be?  Castillo would cost a ton more and Woodruff just doesn’t seem realistic.  Musgrove?  Gonzalez?

I’d rather just get Musgrove and give up lesser assets than go “all in” for Gray. Like I said, Sonny is good but I don’t view him as a true difference maker.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d rather just get Musgrove and give up lesser assets than go “all in” for Gray. Like I said, Sonny is good but I don’t view him as a true difference maker.

Sonny is pretty damn good, but I agree Musgrove would likely be the better value.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sonny is pretty damn good, but I agree Musgrove would likely be the better value.

Gray has had two really good years: 2015 and 2019. He’s been alright but nothing special the rest of his career. If the Sox are going to make a blockbuster, they might as well go for Woodruff since he’s better and controlled for longer. But yeah, I think Musgrove is probably the most realistic option.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Musgrove would be the perfect test for Ethan Katz. Yes peripherals suggest that there is a stud to unlock. If they trust Katz I would hope they trade less to get him as well.

Woodruff is the best pitcher out of the group rumored to be available. 

Not only is he currently the best pitcher, he has the most years of control with four.  As a comparison, if acquired, he will still be under contract a year after Giolito is currently set to become a FA.  Keuchel will be gone as well.  He becomes a huge part of our core.  

Unfortunately, because this all sounds so wonderful, it’s going to be expensive enough where no one with the Sox is will consider.

This is one trade that actually will cost Kopech, Vaughn, and a decent amount more.  The Sox are just not set up in a comfortable enough position to trade two players expected to play at a high level on the ML roster the next 5-7 years.  For cheap.  If they could somehow manage to only give up one of them, you pull the trigger without a doubt.  And we won’t lose sleep if we had to use Madrigal to get Woodruff to join the top of our rotation for the next 4 years.  

Castillo has the most potential and second best pitcher, also one less year of control, and Reds will probably demand something close to Woodruff.  There is no match here because if the Sox were willing to give that up, I’d imagine it’s going to Woodruff (if still available). 

i would trade for Grey as he’s also under team control for three years and I’m guessing will be much cheaper than Castillo.  If we can get him for multiple players outside of our top 5, I’m honestly not very concerned about who they are.   I’m also a lot less concerned giving up prospects who aren’t close to having a role on the team and the acquired player has decent control.  Not sure we have the mid tier guys to get this done, if it becomes a bidding war.

Musgrove is another guy I’d love the Sox to acquire.  I don’t want to get into the argument I quickly jumped out as it started, but he looks really nice at the back end of our rotation.  He’s also a guy that has potential to follow up Kopech’s 10k game with 12k.  It will be fun staff to watch.  

Musgrove has the least amount of control so you can’t overpay for him since we already just traded a potential 6 year player for a one year player.  We cannot give up anything expected to play a role with this ML team the next few years.  We need to keep adding, not teetering every move we make.  I also don’t want to deplete the farm, but during our window we do have a ton of time to keep building the system having so many fixtures on the roster.  A group with Stiever and a few other 8-20 type guys is perfectly fine with me.  It gives us a very strong looking rotation for at least the next two.  We can easily replace the guys we shipped in this package. I’m not entirely sure that gets the deal done though.

I talked a lot. 

6 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I join you in the opinion that Gray is just OK.  Still living on his Oakland reputation.  For me he is a #4 type and Madrigal would be a real screwing.  No thanks.

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic