Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is a great point. 

The issue with Rodon is that he's been here for so long and hasn't been able to put it together yet. The stuff is probably still there, as I don't think he was 100% recovered from TJS. 

If you look at him objectively rather than through the lens of Sox fan frustration, then it's a good gamble. 

Now go sign Folty to a minor league deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Going into this off season we were hoping for a front end pitcher plus some stock for the backhalf. We basically did that with Lynn and Rodon, but subtracted Dunning to do it. One more filler should fit the expectations after losing Dunning. 

Except the order of events this offseason make this feel like you’re in on GME @ $300-350 instead of $10-15.

Feels like another of those “we need to prove we were right on Rodon” moves, so the expectations are almost zero so there’s at least the possibility of some relatively pleasant upside.

Maybe there’s something to said for starting over with a new manager and pitching coach, but that takes a lot of the blame off players and puts it all on Cooper’s supposed malaise.

19 minutes ago, quickman said:

Problem is not Rodons velocity it’s he couldn’t the side of wall . This is garbage but it’s Sox garbage .

Pitchers are often a bit wild right after TJ. Rosenthal is a great example. I don't know if he can stay heathy. One thing I wonder about all these guys throwing showcases is they are probably way ahead of the normal pace they would be on to prepare for a season. So perhaps they will be ahead of the hitters early on. Also may run out of gas sooner.

Two roster questions:

(1) 40-man is full, so is someone getting traded or is there a DFA coming, and if so, who?

(2) Can Cease or Lopez still be optioned to AAA? If not, that makes six starters on the ML roster including Rodon. Could be a challenging roster juggle if the Sox pick up another starter.

Foltynewicz threw for MLB teams on Friday and was reportedly hitting 90-92 on the radar gun. Not bad for the middle of winter. If Foltynewicz can get that fastball up just a bit more and learn how to use his sinker and change-up as more effective weapons, he certainly has a chance to get his career back on track.

https://dawindycity.com/2021/01/30/chicago-cubs-mike-foltynewicz-stands-ideal-free-agent-target/

Would be pretty ironic if Archer ended up back with the Cubs, with Rodon returning to the Sox. Folty is blah to me unless he’s at least in the mid 90s range but still not quite 100% effort.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Two roster questions:

(1) 40-man is full, so is someone getting traded or is there a DFA coming, and if so, who?

(2) Can Cease or Lopez still be optioned to AAA? If not, that makes six starters on the ML roster including Rodon. Could be a challenging roster juggle if the Sox pick up another starter.

Yes, Lopez has 1 option left and I think Cease has 2. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Pitchers are often a bit wild right after TJ. Rosenthal is a great example. I don't know if he can stay heathy. One thing I wonder about all these guys throwing showcases is they are probably way ahead of the normal pace they would be on to prepare for a season. So perhaps they will be ahead of the hitters early on. Also may run out of gas sooner.

That has definitely been the case with Garrett Richards.   I just hope they give up on the idea Rodon will ever be another Andrew Miller out of the pen.  He’s just too wild/inconsistent for that.   Of course, we’ve seen him get burned over and over again with low 90’s fastballs, especially behind in counts.  Chris Sale usually could get away with that, Rodon cannot.

Rodon's problem has always been desire and work ethic.  He lacked both.  Now he finally realized this is his last chance at a big payday and I was told he actually put in a lot of work this off season to get his body in great shape and is finally prepared both physically and mentally for the season.  I sure as hell wouldn't be the team to give him that payday but I think he's going to have a good season.

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

depending on cost, Cole Hamels would be a great add with Rodon. If Lopez was cut to bring in CH, that would be a win-win.

The White Sox are too stubborn to cut Lopez...unless he simply can’t get back his mid to high 90s fastball.  If the stuff is still there, they’re going to extend some more rope. Hamels seems like a much better fit in the NL.

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The issue with Rodon is that he's been here for so long and hasn't been able to put it together yet. The stuff is probably still there, as I don't think he was 100% recovered from TJS. 

If you look at him objectively rather than through the lens of Sox fan frustration, then it's a good gamble. 

Now go sign Folty to a minor league deal. 

Yet no one else wanted him even at that price. Even teams rebuilding and looking for young cheap pitching to kick the tires on didn't pay up. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rodon's problem has always been desire and work ethic.  He lacked both.  Now he finally realized this is his last chance at a big payday and I was told he actually put in a lot of work this off season to get his body in great shape and is finally prepared both physically and mentally for the season.  I sure as hell wouldn't be the team to give him that payday but I think he's going to have a good season.

A little bit of the Brian Anderson thing, where he was the best NCAA pitcher with just two pitches and didn’t have to work hard on his craft, relying on natural ability to get him through.   Anderson at Univ of Arizona was always about potential...he could be the next Torii Hunter if he could actually hit the ball.  Rodon definitely has the attitude and sense of privilege from always being a top prospect and perhaps was coddled too much...and nobody was willing to confront him about changing his approach because it got him so far, so fast.  Maybe the failures of the last 2-3 seasons and being quite fortunate to get a guaranteed contract have made him more open to coaching, hopefully. 

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox are too stubborn to cut Lopez...unless he simply can’t get back his mid to high 90s fastball.  If the stuff is still there, they’re going to extend some more rope. Hamels seems like a much better fit in the NL.

He has an option and a small contract. There is no reason to cut him now.

• Like 1

So with the addition of Rodon we’re looking at the following staff:

1. Gioltio
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel*
  4. Cease
  5. Rodon* / Lopez
  • 9th: Hendriks
  • 8th: Bummer*
  • 8th: Heuer
  • 7th: Crochet*
  • 7th: Marshall
  • 6th: Fry*
  • 6th: Foster
  • 5th: Lopez / Rodon*

Then at Charlotte you should have Kopech, Stiever, Flores, & Vargas in the rotation, with McClure likely in AA.  The Knights’ bullpen would have Cordero, Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert.  

Our bullpen depth looks real solid to me, just need to hope Katz can work his magic with the young starters.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He has an option and a small contract. There is no reason to cut him now.

Right.  If nothing else, he can cover innings.   He still brings X amount of value, to where the risk/reward ratio makes him a fit for the time being.   But like Rodon, don’t necessarily see him making it as a high leverage reliever.  We’ll see.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So with the addition of Rodon we’re looking at the following staff:

1. Gioltio
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel*
  4. Cease
  5. Rodon* / Lopez
  • 9th: Hendriks
  • 8th: Bummer*
  • 8th: Heuer
  • 7th: Crochet*
  • 7th: Marshall
  • 6th: Fry*
  • 6th: Foster
  • 5th: Lopez / Rodon*

Then at Charlotte you should have Kopech, Stiever, Flores, & Vargas in the rotation, with McClure likely in AA.  The Knights’ bullpen would have Cordero, Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert.  

Our bullpen depth looks real solid to me, just need to hope Katz can work his magic with the young starters.

Next, we will bring Ian Hamilton back.  

And glad it’s Emilio and not Jason Vargas, had to double-check.

Marshall, Foster and Cordero are pretty interchangeable...tough to expect Evan to be quite so effective again, but we shall see. At least there are plenty of options, at least for the moment.

• bmags unpinned this topic