3/16 vs Padres, 3:10

flavum

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than Katz, what are the reasons for Lopez optimism?  

With Musgrove, besides the advanced analytics, you have the motivation of any pitcher moving from the worst team in baseball to a Top 3 squad.

I'm not optimistic on Lopez...I don't really see a spot on the team for him.  I was just laughing at an earlier comment about Lopez not being a major leaguer based on what he did today, while we were regretting not getting Musgrove based on what he did today.  I think Musgrove is fine...I just didn't want to trade major assets for him and today Rodon looked much more dominating than Musgrove.  

7 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

1)  How could they not keep Collins?   Lefty hitting catcher that looks legit as a hitter. 

2) Madrigal looked very good defensively and very slappy as a hitter.   

3) Mercedes has a great arm for eliminating the opponents running game...does seem to drop third strikes and pass balls...and looks imposing as a hitter.  I think he has an option left so have him catch full time at Charlotte and impress some other organization?   

4) Rodon looked fantastic...lots of swing and miss stuff.  Man if he can be what we thought he was going to be three years ago...lefty starter...I know, I know.

5) I like the idea of sending Lopez to Charlotte...the guy has ability if they can harness it enough...package him and Mercedes at all-Star break and you might get something for him.

MLB.tv is great.  

Even if you added Rutherford/Adolfo/LuisGonz to that package, you’re limited to mostly rebuilding teams.

Personally, would prefer that now and getting some pen help so Kopech could start in the minors, but doesn’t seem very likely.  Guess they really want him around Katz, TLR and a much more extensive MLB support system.

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I'm not optimistic on Lopez...I don't really see a spot on the team for him.  I was just laughing at an earlier comment about Lopez not being a major leaguer based on what he did today, while we were regretting not getting Musgrove based on what he did today.  I think Musgrove is fine...I just didn't want to trade major assets for him and today Rodon looked much more dominating than Musgrove.  

Let’s wait 10-12 starts into the season, the good ‘ol Hawk Harrelson 54 game, 1/3rd pole...

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Even if you added Rutherford/Adolfo/LuisGonz to that package, you’re limited to mostly rebuilding teams.

Personally, would prefer that now and getting some pen help so Kopech could start in the minors, but doesn’t seem very likely.  Guess they really want him around Katz, TLR and a much more extensive MLB support system.

I don't hate the idea of Kopech and Vaughn in the big league camp for the two weeks or whatever it is they need to get an extra year.  But I also think its not that risky to let them start in the majors as new collective bargaining agreement will probably tackle this gamesmanship.  Honestly by allstar game SOME of our minor leaguers are going to take a step forward.  If Lopez regains confidence and Mercedes is again hitting .950 and throwing out half the runners...ok they are both 28...but you throw in a Tatis, Jr lottery ticket and you could get an interesting something.  

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let’s wait 10-12 starts into the season, the good ‘ol Hawk Harrelson 54 game, 1/3rd pole...

Its completely fair to be skeptical about Rodon and his ability to stay healthy...but I do still look at the Mike Minor comparison...some guys eventually get through the injury part and find their TOR stuff. Minor put up 14 WAR in three years after being sore arm bad at 26 and missing all of age 27 and 28.  It would be such a good problem to have to have Rodon be great this year and a free agent next year.     

1 hour ago, fathom said:

He never, ever dives. 

Not getting to balls is not his problem. That's like the one thing you can legitimately hang your hat on with him at short as being solid. 

Edited by mqr

40 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Never quite sure why people here are so quick to give up on guys like Collins. He’s adjusted to every level and done well. Ricky did a terrible job not using Collins last year as he continued to trot EE out there every game. That’s stupidity right there and likely was one of the reasons he was fired. That and having Mazara out there every game. That’s stupid

HE feels like a guy we need to just give a ton of AB's to this season (and I think they can find him those at-bats) - cause in small sample sizes - it looks like he's made adjustments that might work and if they do - it will be huge.  

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

1)  How could they not keep Collins?   Lefty hitting catcher that looks legit as a hitter. 

2) Madrigal looked very good defensively and very slappy as a hitter.   

3) Mercedes has a great arm for eliminating the opponents running game...does seem to drop third strikes and pass balls...and looks imposing as a hitter.  I think he has an option left so have him catch full time at Charlotte and impress some other organization?   

4) Rodon looked fantastic...lots of swing and miss stuff.  Man if he can be what we thought he was going to be three years ago...lefty starter...I know, I know.

5) I like the idea of sending Lopez to Charlotte...the guy has ability if they can harness it enough...package him and Mercedes at all-Star break and you might get something for him.

MLB.tv is great.  

I wrote it already in the other thread, I'm a big Vaughn fan but collins has been out hitting him this spring, so give collins the DH job, lucroy to back up and Vaughn to the minors and when Vaughn comes up in a month or so you figure out what to do with collins. 

Collins has earned his shot and Vaughn is not on the 40 man plus you get the extra year. Unless there is an extension that is an easy decision for me. 

51 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Never quite sure why people here are so quick to give up on guys like Collins. He’s adjusted to every level and done well. Ricky did a terrible job not using Collins last year as he continued to trot EE out there every game. That’s stupidity right there and likely was one of the reasons he was fired. That and having Mazara out there every game. That’s stupid

Not sure why you're calling out Ricky, he couldn't unilaterally bench his boss' $20M major hitting acquisitions 30-40 games into a season. When the games mattered, Parrot and Mazara were on the bench. 

I would agree with the assessment that Ricky and Rick should have given Collins plenty of at bats in 2019. Hahn being Hahn, he traded for Yonder Alonso ($8M) as the primary DH and was in year two of two Wellington Castillo deal, which sucked up half the catching starts. Had to give Texas valuable International Bonus money to save crumbs for Jerry.

Collins catching 40-60 games and playing DH another 40-60 games in 2019 would have answered a lot of questions. Prospects should have been developing and assessed, not setting behind ridiculous veteran acquisitions during year three of tanking.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

HE feels like a guy we need to just give a ton of AB's to this season (and I think they can find him those at-bats) - cause in small sample sizes - it looks like he's made adjustments that might work and if they do - it will be huge.  

His swing is as short and quick as I've ever seen it.  Spring stats are meaningless and we'll see if he can carry it over to when the games count -- but he looks improved.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

His swing is as short and quick as I've ever seen it.  Spring stats are meaningless and we'll see if he can carry it over to when the games count -- but he looks improved.

Yeah, there's a big difference between spring training and then Collins having any hope from the 5th or 6th inning on against 96+ MPH heaters coming at you one after another.

Can we actually imagine Collins hitting well off Crochet, Bummer, Kopech, Hendriks, Heuer, etc.?

Of course, NO hitters are going to match up "well" with our bullpen, but at least having a legit shot to make contact or drive in a run.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That is the big thing to me - the eye test has backed up a change and this actually dates back to pre-covid when he had his last call-up in 2019 (after he was initially sent down at some point earlier in 2019 - he seemed to make an adjustment - his minor league numbers reflected the bounce and than the small sample size in late 19 kind of confirmed it).

But than COVID happened and we obviously have less visibility into what happened in Schaumburg - but the eye test seems to back up that it only looks even better than what started in 2019.  In terms of 2020 - clearly there weren't at bats to go for Collins - given Grandal / McCann duo.   

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Care to explain how you assess that ? Did he cost Rodon strikes ? Rodon didn't walk anyone and I did see a low breaking pitch Mercedes pulled up for a strike call and a K.

Looked like 2-3 sliders that he caught incredibly awkward in the first two innings.

I believe @Dick Allen said in the offseason that if Rodon was coming from another team he'd have been the guy we'd all be focusing on. He was right, but no pitcher has disappointed me more than Rodon so I still didn't want him.

But the guy is still one of the best reclamation projects in the league and he does look like he took this offseason as the kick in the butt it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I believe @Dick Allen said in the offseason that if Rodon was coming from another team he'd have been the guy we'd all be focusing on. He was right, but no pitcher has disappointed me more than Rodon so I still didn't want him.

But the guy is still one of the best reclamation projects in the league and he does look like he took this offseason as the kick in the butt it was.

same thoughts. Not a fan, but the results looked great yesterday and maybe motivation, plus Katz, plus some more oomph on that fastball makes him at least a solid pickup until Kopech ramps innings in August. 

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

same thoughts. Not a fan, but the results looked great yesterday and maybe motivation, plus Katz, plus some more oomph on that fastball makes him at least a solid pickup until Kopech ramps innings in August. 

Gotta love the fact that Cease and Rodon both came out and threw strikes. Neither walked anyone. If they can do that consistently, the stuff plays and in Cease's case maybe he can then work on hiding the ball a little better . A fraction of a second not seeing the ball can lead to a lot more swing and miss.