White Sox tied for 1st in Fangraphs Power Rankings

ron883

The subjective accumulation of stats does by that fan does not say" realistically."  It says "luck."

"Power rankings"  is something of a misnomer. The Sox have to be close to the bottom with HRs and xtra base hits.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Not crucial but recognition is nice for those who worked long and hard for excellence. 

Recognition at this point is only measured by MVP's, Cy Young votes, playoff appearances and at least advancing to the ALCS (also, avoiding the wild card play-in games.)

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Recognition at this point is only measured by MVP's, Cy Young votes, playoff appearances and at least advancing to the ALCS (also, avoiding the wild card play-in games.)

This is true. Nonetheless, Fangraphs' sabermetric approach means their attempts at power rankings (which try to be predictive as I understand them) hold slightly more weight than others. Obviously, they are just projections, and we play the actual games for a reason, but it's certainly a mild reason for optimism and enjoyable to see. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:11 PM, ron883 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-power-rankings-may-3-9/

Tied with the BoSox! Go Sox! It also says the team should realistically have 3 more wins/3 less losses. 

Was looking at these ranking in more detail, and the Sox are one of only 3 teams that is above average in offense, starting pitching and relief pitching. Other two are Red Sox and Yankees.

On 5/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, tray said:

The subjective accumulation of stats does by that fan does not say" realistically."  It says "luck."

"Power rankings"  is something of a misnomer. The Sox have to be close to the bottom with HRs and xtra base hits.

Personally I don't give a shit where we are ranked in HR's, Xtra base hits and TB's if we are winning like this. I care about scoring runs which we are #1 and having good pitching, which we have. What I do know is we are getting a ton of timely hits which are producing a lot of runs and that my friend is so much fun to watch. The HR's will come. 

The #1 team in MLB for HR's is Atlanta with 51 to our 29 HR's. However even hitting 21 less HR's, we have scored more runs than Atl and we are in 1st place, 7 games over 500 and they Atl a game under 500 in 3rd place in their division. 

• Like 1

Boston is a mirage.  It's pretty clear to me that the Sox and Yankees are the 2 best teams in the AL, and if Rodon and Cease keep it up, the Sox are the clear best team in the AL even with the injuries to Robert, Eloy & Engel.

Also it's pretty clear to me that the best team in the NL is the Dodgers and the next best teams are the Padres, Mets, and Braves in no particular order.  

13 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Boston is a mirage.  It's pretty clear to me that the Sox and Yankees are the 2 best teams in the AL, and if Rodon and Cease keep it up, the Sox are the clear best team in the AL even with the injuries to Robert, Eloy & Engel.

Also it's pretty clear to me that the best team in the NL is the Dodgers and the next best teams are the Padres, Mets, and Braves in no particular order.  

Agreed.  Mostly excited.  Of course, the side of me that is paranoid and can never be happy is a little nervous that this year looks more and more like a golden opportunity every day, which really ups the pressure for what had seemed like a very early year within our window.  You never know what the future will bring, and which year will feature some dominant team or now-dormant club emerging as a powerhouse.  I know it's absurdly early, but we may never get a better shot than 2021. 

2 hours ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Personally I don't give a shit where we are ranked in HR's, Xtra base hits and TB's if we are winning like this. I care about scoring runs which we are #1 and having good pitching, which we have. What I do know is we are getting a ton of timely hits which are producing a lot of runs and that my friend is so much fun to watch. The HR's will come. 

The #1 team in MLB for HR's is Atlanta with 51 to our 29 HR's. However even hitting 21 less HR's, we have scored more runs than Atl and we are in 1st place, 7 games over 500 and they Atl a game under 500 in 3rd place in their division. 

I want to see the power numbers pick up as it gets warm. We don't need to lead the league in power numbers, but we should be middle of the pack. That would make winning games a lot easier. 

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We are the best team in the AL and maybe not right now, but by the end of the year, the Dodgers will be the best team in the NL. How great would that be to beat the Dodgers in the WS who spent almost twice as much as us to put a team together?

13 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

We are the best team in the AL and maybe not right now, but by the end of the year, the Dodgers will be the best team in the NL. How great would that be to beat the Dodgers in the WS who spent almost twice as much as us to put a team together?

Technically, we’re outspending the Indians by a much higher multiple than 2.45/1.3....it’s 1.3 to 0.5.

Edited by caulfield12

29 teams spent more than Cleveland. That is there dumb fault they didn't spend more money to keep players from leaving or going after better FA's to build a better team. Plus Cleveland has no chance of winning the World Series, so who cares how little they spent. If you are implying Cleveland is a dangerous playoff team, then you should immediately put a bet down at Rivers for +3300 for the Indians to win the world series. LOL!