And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Based on what?

Madrigal called out a couple guys by name last night and he was one of them fwiw. 

Edited because I only remember Abreu and Eaton, but I was only half paying attention. 

Edited by mqr

Also if it is the case that Tony and Eaton had a word with him, I don't think I'd have a huge issue with the message being "Hey man, you're gonna get one of us or yourself hurt" vs. something like "We just don't do that here" 

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Idk, man I think any shows of emotion that aren't any active danger and idk not significantly slowing the game down, is absolutely a positive good vs. stoicism. I don't need Madison Bumgarner to like it, if he wants to go out, k the guy, and MF him all the way back to the dugout, I think that's cool too. 

But yeah, people are arguing with nobody currently. 

I actually do like it too, and do think it makes the game more fun, I just don't think the same "online shame pile-on" that is used (rightfully) against voices in baseball that think retaliation is good should be applied to people who just don't like players breaking unwritten rules/celebrating. And it does feel like it's treated similarly.

19 minutes ago, mqr said:

Also if it is the case that Tony and Eaton had a word with him, I don't think I'd have a huge issue with the message being "Hey man, you're gonna get one of us or yourself hurt" vs. something like "We just don't do that here" 

Eaton just the other day said that Jose is the "standard here" so he certainly knows his place in the leadership pecking order.  That said, Eaton did win a championship with the Nats and had a big role in that post season success, he had an OPS of nearly 1000 in the WS -- so he has some gravitas in the clubhouse I'd imagine -- with all the players, regardless of race or background.

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Hah! We were section 118, row 17.

Hope you enjoyed the game!  Certainly not the full Target Field experiences with most of the non-generic vendors closed, but what a beautiful night it was! 

17 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I wish Tony would show that much emotion when the home plate umpires are squeezing his pitchers or screwing his hitters.

You joke, but I do think Tony standing out there is significant because you're right, we haven't really seen him much at all except when he removes a pitcher. Not saying he is doing something wrong with that.....but him standing on the grass like that during a HR trot seems odd...

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

The apparent Eaton scolding pisses me off more than TLR.  TLR is the manager and sets the tone for the team.  If he doesn't want his guys swinging 3-0 up 11 runs, well, that's his clubhouse and he sets the rules.

Eaton?  He's a veteran but he's not a leader on this team.  Worry about your own damn at-bats and find a way to stay healthy, Adam. That's on guys like Yoan, TA, and Jose to manage, not some scrub white guy who's been with the team less than 2 months.   

Anyone who told Yermin Mercedes to quit playing is out of touch with reality, and needs to get with 2021. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

You joke, but I do think Tony standing out there is significant because you're right, we haven't really seen him much at all except when he removes a pitcher. Not saying he is doing something wrong with that.....but him standing on the grass like that during a HR trot seems odd...

If it really happened that Tony yelled at Mercedes for continuing to play a game of baseball that was still going on, it proves the point that we were all making about Tony being out of touch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it really happened that Tony yelled at Mercedes for continuing to play a game of baseball that was still going on, it proves the point that we were all making about Tony being out of touch.

I mean, I think TLR's quote about Tatis' swinging 3-0 in a blow out last year make it pretty obvious what his take on the matter is.  I am sure he was out of the dugout shaking his fist at Yermin and I am sure Yermin got a scolding.

Its super fucking stupid, but here we are with an old school manager.  

This will all blow over by the time we get to NY, and hopefully we can avoid a beanball contest today over a kid who was just doing his job and DGAF about old school sportsmanship when he didn't know if he'd ever get a real chance in the majors mere weeks ago.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/22/baseball-unwritten-rules-fernando-tatis-jr/

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Anyone who told Yermin Mercedes to quit playing is out of touch with reality, and needs to get with 2021. 

I don't necessarily agree. The Sox can't afford to lose another one of their best hitters in a meaningless time of the game, if he gets hurt.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, I think TLR's quote about Tatis' swinging 3-0 in a blow out last year make it pretty obvious what his take on the matter is.  I am sure he was out of the dugout shaking his fist at Yermin and I am sure Yermin got a scolding.

Its super fucking stupid, but here we are with an old school manager.  

This will all blow over by the time we get to NY, and hopefully we can avoid a beanball contest today over a kid who was just doing his job and DGAF about old school sportsmanship when he didn't know if he'd ever get a real chance in the majors mere weeks ago.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/22/baseball-unwritten-rules-fernando-tatis-jr/

It is out dated concept, for better or worse.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't necessarily agree. The Sox can't afford to lose another one of their best hitters in a meaningless time of the game, if he gets hurt.

Are you saying they have a chance at getting hurt while swinging or retaliation for the homer the next game?

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

Are you saying they have a chance at getting hurt while swinging or retaliation for the homer the next game?

Swinging the bat when the outcome has been decided. I guess the other could apply as well but I wasn't thinking that.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It is out dated concept, for better or worse.

I‘d argue that it’s the old school mentality that shows a lack of sportsmanship. All this pretense about showing respect is more out of fear of getting plunked in the old days. Throwing at someone to demand respect for the game is far less sportsman like than admiring a homer or flipping a bat. 

Plenty of sportsmanship in today‘s game. Watch the reactions of the Braves when Pillar got hit in the face.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If Minnesota takes out a Sox player because they got hurt feelings over the Sox not quitting playing a game still going on, that is a whole different problem.

• Like 1