And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I‘d argue that it’s the old school mentality that shows a lack of sportsmanship. All this pretense about showing respect is more out of fear of getting plunked in the old days. Throwing at someone to demand respect for the game is far less sportsman like than admiring a homer or flipping a bat. 

Plenty of sportsmanship in today‘s game. Watch the reactions of the Braves when Pillar got hit in the face.

So why didn't the Twins get upset at Donaldson pimping a home run down two touchdowns?  I though old school mentality dictated you weren't allowed to be happy while losing?

See it is this picking and choose of selective outrage that is the problem here.  If you want to be old school, be old school.  Just don't forget about it when it is your guys.  That is trash.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I‘d argue that it’s the old school mentality that shows a lack of sportsmanship. All this pretense about showing respect is more out of fear of getting plunked in the old days. Throwing at someone to demand respect for the game is far less sportsman like than admiring a homer or flipping a bat. 

Plenty of sportsmanship in today‘s game. Watch the reactions of the Braves when Pillar got hit in the face.

That's empathy not sportsmanship. It had nothing to do with the sport. Sportsmanship is respect within the context of the game. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Minnesota takes out a Sox player because they got hurt feelings over the Sox not quitting playing a game still going on, that is a whole different problem.

True. As I said. I would b more concerned about Mercedes getting hurt in the meaningless at bat.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Swinging the bat when the outcome has been decided. I guess the other could apply as well but I wasn't thinking that.

So with your original thinking, they should go up there and not swing at all????? Why not just forfeit the game then at that point. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So why didn't the Twins get upset at Donaldson pimping a home run down two touchdowns?  I though old school mentality dictated you weren't allowed to be happy while losing?

See it is this picking and choose of selective outrage that is the problem here.  If you want to be old school, be old school.  Just don't forget about it when it is your guys.  That is trash.

Or his looking at Boston and "blowing the whistle" after his homerun. Because Boston was only doing it to congratulate one of his OF on a good play.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

So with your original thinking, they should go up there and not swing at all????? Why not just forfeit the game then at that point. 

Sure. Just like in the NFL with pulling your starters in the 4th quarter with a big lead. Should they just forfeit the game at that point and not play the last part of the 4th quarter?

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sure. Just like in the NFL with pulling your starters in the 4th quarter with a big lead. Should they just forfeit the game at that point and not play the last part of the 4th quarter?

Ok so in the bottom of the inning when it’s the Twins turn to bat, they should not swing either? Since the outcome of the game has already been decided. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Totally different. Baseball isn’t timed, and the scrubs still try. They run plays. 

Let's just hope that a Twins pitcher doesn't throw at Mercedes and he either gets hurt and, or a brawl breaks out, resulting in injuries and suspensions. 

Who needs this ridiculous drama. Just play the game. If La Russa doesn't approve, it would be better if he handled his displeasure in a more subtle way, and kept it entirely within the clubhouse. Coming out of the dugout and gesturing at Mercedes was probably not the most prudent way to express his displeasure. The Sox seem to be winning more in spite of La Russa, than because of him. I don't remember this many incidences in an entire season, under Renteria and the season is only 25% completed.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Can we just have a gesture like putting up 4 fingers for the intentional walk...just pretend like you threw at him, Yermin can scowl and take his base.  Old timey baseball guys are appeased and we can go back to kicking their a$$ new school style.

La Russa must certainly be aware of a common perception that he is too "old school" to be managing today's game of baseball. Apparently, he doesn't give a damn about such skepticism. I'm beginning to wish that he would just retire, again. One of the best parts of being a Sox fan, of this current roster, is the way that they play the game, with such emotion and personality. So, what does La Russa do?.........He goes out of his way to try to stifle that team character. 

Edited by Lillian