Bowden mentions Sox potential interest in Frazier

Lillian

I don't know how this ended up as a new thread. My intention was to merely post it in the thread on potential trade targets to replace Madrigal. At any rate, I still would prefer Escobar, as I would guess that the cost would be too high for Frazier.

16 hours ago, ron883 said:

Thanks for posting, but Jim Bowden is a grade A hack now a days. 

6 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I feel like soxtalk is his source for this.  

Yeah I think its more speculative. Not hard to connect a team out of contention with a 2B/OF type player and a team that may need a 2B or RF (especially next year) now.

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Would love to have Adam Frazier.....but at what cost?

Frazier is a good player but you’d be paying a premium for him with the season he’s having and the extra year of control.  I’d rather target a rental or simply go after Haniger if I’m giving up that much prospect capital.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Frazier's had this explosion in doubles, but doesn't have much HR power, which is what the Sox need.
I can't imagine he'd cost that much, although I'm sure they'll want pitching like everyone else.

He’ll cost more than you think unfortunately.  Regardless, we should be targeting power like you said.

Bowden just throws out names. He has no specific knowledge.  I would be careful about Frazier. Lifetime .280 hitter hitting .328, switching leagues.  He probably wouldn't hit .250. Escobar is the better choice IMO. Already had success on the AL, a slower start means he is probably due to get hot. He also loved playing for the Sox. I remember when he got traded. He cried.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bowden just throws out names. He has no specific knowledge.  I would be careful about Frazier. Lifetime .280 hitter hitting .328, switching leagues.  He probably wouldn't hit .250. Escobar is the better choice IMO. Already had success on the AL, a slower start means he is probably due to get hot. He also loved playing for the Sox. I remember when he got traded. He cried.

100% agree.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like a fair trade, but I’d rather pay a little bit more and go get Gallo.

yeah, they need power with Grandal out. Frazier is the smart play for a full strength team, but Gallo or Escobar is a must for the next 6-8 weeks of summer power weather. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah, they need power with Grandal out. Frazier is the smart play for a full strength team, but Gallo or Escobar is a must for the next 6-8 weeks of summer power weather. 

The power is coming back when Grandal, Eloy and Robert return. Frazier can play 2B this year and RF next year. If this is really what the deal would be I'd pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Nm. Just noticed the date. But those kind of  longer term upside prospects for a rental, not too keen on. The Sox are kind of in a rough spot. Thompson sucking right now makes it conceivable, but still. Id rather do pitchers like Stiever/Lambert types. As the franchise that dumped a precocious 17 year old once

Edited by Chick Mercedes

As free agent contracts have become more, and more expensive, the impetus to unload expiring contracts has become greater. What is the point of hanging on to a guy, who will be a free agent in a few months, for a team that is out of the race? Better to unload the contract and save some money. The more of those kinds of expiring contracts that exist and more teams there are that are clearly not contending, the greater the supply of such players. That should continue to drive down their prices, when negotiating with contending teams, in buying mode. I think that a lot of people are going to be surprised what little some of these sellers are able to get for their players. Moreover, removing those guys from the roster, allows a rebuilding team to play more of their prospects, during the final months of the season, giving them some valuable experience, while allowing the team to better evaluate their farm system.

1 hour ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Totally agree. With many division and even Wildcard races being pretty clear, there are far more sellers than buyers. Add to that no August waiver trade deals and the sellers should be getting really panicky around July 29. DO NOT overpay!

Welcome to Soxtalk!