Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Schwarber makes way more sense than Escobar IMO. Escobar hits lefties better than righties, which isn't what this team really needs. Schwarber fits the lineup better and he can also play a passable corner OF, which Escobar can't do. 

They address completely different needs though.  Personally I think we should be looking to solve both problems as I still think Mendick gets exposed with regular playing time.

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

Wasn’t me with the laugh emoji, but I’d like better than that. And it’s out there. 

No I get it, and I don't really think you are wrong.....but obviously they can't acquire everything and no roster is going to be perfect. If they can acquire a bat like Schwarber, I think allows Leury to basically just go back to INF work, which sort of solves that issue. Lamb can also play 3B obviously, so basically Leury is your backup 2B/SS. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

No I get it, and I don't really think you are wrong.....but obviously they can't acquire everything and no roster is going to be perfect. If they can acquire a bat like Schwarber, I think allows Leury to basically just go back to INF work, which sort of solves that issue. Lamb can also play 3B obviously, so basically Leury is your backup 2B/SS. 

So who do you choose between Lamb, Mercedes, Hamilton?    I guess everyone's assuming Eaton will go on the DL for awhile to get himself back to at least 90%.

For the time being, Goodwin also has an important role, as well.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They address completely different needs though.  Personally I think we should be looking to solve both problems as I still think Mendick gets exposed with regular playing time.

Have the Nats throw in Jordy Mercer in the deal, problem solved. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

So who do you choose between Lamb, Mercedes, Hamilton?    I guess everyone's assuming Eaton will go on the DL for awhile to get himself back to at least 90%.

You have a while to make that decision, and there is a good chance it gets answered for you. But if you had to decide right now, assuming Hamilton was healthy, Mercedes probably is odd man out because of a lack of position. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no problem getting both, but I think we're much better off with Mendick getting the majority of the reps at 2B than dealing with Eaton in RF for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Can we perhaps shoot higher than Jordy Mercer?  What's next, bringing back Alcides Escobar?

Tim Beckham has a career .733 OPS, although obviously he's not the fielder that Mercer is...but, at this point, offense might be equally important to defense until Robert/Jimenez return.

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would rather have Schwarber and take my chances with Mendick at 2nd. We need to add some power to the lineup.

Schwarber is one of the worst baseball players in the game today.  Has a monster game every once in a while to make you forget the previous 1/20

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Schwarber is one of the worst baseball players in the game today.  Has a monster game every once in a while to make you forget the previous 1/20

He’s on pace for 32 HR’s and 85 RBI’s on an unimpressive Nats team. He’s also improved his defense to be a very serviceable level. 

I mean, you’re just making stuff up at this point. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

He’s on pace for 32 HR’s and 85 RBI’s on an unimpressive Nats team. He’s also improved his defense to be a very serviceable level. 

I mean, you’re just making stuff up at this point. 

Schwarber's RoS projections are right in line with Abreu's. Both are looking at about a 125 wRC+ the rest of the way. If you can add a left handed Abreu to your lineup, you do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, ZiPS RoS thinks Mendick will be a 96 wRC+ the rest of the way and Esocbar will be a 103 wRC+ player. ZiPS does seem high on Mendick, but Escobar really isn't that attractive of a target besides his ability to hit the long ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Also, ZiPS RoS thinks Mendick will be a 96 wRC+ the rest of the way and Esocbar will be a 103 wRC+ player. ZiPS does seem high on Mendick, but Escobar really isn't that attractive of a target besides his ability to hit the long ball. 

Good defender at 2B plus the ability to hit HRs against RHP is very useful.  Again, ZiPS may be high on Mendick, but I’m not sure that’s a risk worth taking.  His offense cratered last year when exposed to regular playing time.

Have we all moved on from Joey Gallo?  I know he HITS lefties better, but he still walks a ton against RHP with pop and is a + corner OF with CF ability in a pinch.  I'd much prefer him over Schwarber, he'd likely cost more, but how much more?  My dream scenario is Escobar/Frazier (Fraz going to cost more, fine with Escobar) AND Gallo.  I'm thinking the below is rock solid and an embarrassment of riches should Eloy and Luis come back this year.

This assumes an Eaton DFA or move to bench role and the inevitable removal of the entirely worthless ballplayer Yermin Mercedes from the organization (Yeah I said it). 

Escobar replaces Mendick

Gallo replaces Yermin

vs RHP

1. Anderson - SS

2. Lamb - DH/RF 

3. Moncada - 3B

4. MVPito - 1B

5. Gallo  - RF/DH

6. Grandal - C

7. Vaughn - LF

8. Escobar - 2B

9. Billy Boy/Leury - CF

vs LHP

1. Anderson - SS

2. Escobar - 2B

3. Moncada - 3B

4. MVPito - 1B

5. Vaughn - LF

6. Grandal - C

7. Gallo - RF

8. Engel - CF

9. Leury/Lamb/Billy - DH

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, that works too.  But lets not act like Frazier is some massive upgrade on Eduardo Escobar.  Frazier has 285 PA sample of being good.  Prior to the first 2.5 months of the 2021, Escobar has pretty clearly the superior player.

I will take Escobar for 3 months for basically no prospect capital in return, rather than giving up legit talent for Frazier who then becomes a pretty underwhelming offensive RF in 2022.  Madrigal is the 2B of this team moving forward.  We need a stopgap, not a long term option.  

I like your post, but I’m of the mindset that Escobar doesn’t move the needle enough to a World Series caliber team. I guess if they get him for a Mazara type deal, cool, but if that’s their only move I don’t think it’s enough. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic