Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

And yet they are .5 back of the best record in baseball and have the best RD and have scored something like the 5th most runs.  Like, do you see how dumb this is now?  You score runs by not making outs.  The Sox are pretty good at that.  Yes, we'd like more power, but not making outs is also a great way to score runs.

In a vacuum your argument makes sense. RD is also a result of good pitching not just hitting. RD will shrink if the pitching doesn't perform as well in the second half and there's just no way it can continue as well. More HR's will help offset that . The best record in baseball or 2nd best and the RD has been against poor competition. The Sox are under.500 against teams with better than .500 records. They are 17-3 vs LHP . All this is where the offense and pitching staff is fattening up. Telling me how good they are or have been  against crap teams will not help the Sox in the playoffs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

If we trade with the DBacks we need to demand Seth Beer in the package, no matter the cost. Burger and Fry will be the only untouchables.

I'm a bit slow today. It took me a minute to figure out why the fuck Jace Fry would be untouchable.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I’m all on board the Frazier train. He can slot in at second and/or RF. 

Sure, that works too.  But lets not act like Frazier is some massive upgrade on Eduardo Escobar.  Frazier has 285 PA sample of being good.  Prior to the first 2.5 months of the 2021, Escobar has pretty clearly the superior player.

I will take Escobar for 3 months for basically no prospect capital in return, rather than giving up legit talent for Frazier who then becomes a pretty underwhelming offensive RF in 2022.  Madrigal is the 2B of this team moving forward.  We need a stopgap, not a long term option.  

Edited by ChiSox59

10 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a really dumb stat that is like doing a "key to the game" that says "The Bears are 10-2 when they win the turnover battle".

Well no shit.  

Ok thought I'd comment on this again because I realized you might not understand the HR stat we are talking about. Let's say there's a game where our opponent  hits 3 HR's but the Sox hit 1 but the Sox win. That count's as a W for the Sox when homering. It would count as a L for the team that lost when homering.

It  counts games in which a team has a HR or 0 HR's .So you can be out homered in a game and still get a Win in the stat if you win the game. So if the Sox have 20 games in which they hit 0 HR's they look at their record .If in the other 40 games they hit a HR they look at the record.  If both teams hit 0 HR's then one teams gets an L and the other team gets a W.  Hope that clears things up.

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a really dumb stat that is like doing a "key to the game" that says "The Bears are 10-2 when they win the turnover battle".

Well no shit.  

YOU CAN’T COMPARE FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL!!!!111

Escobar and Frazier could provide similar amounts of value over the rest of 2021 but provide it in different ways. I would agree with @ChiSox59 's sentiment that the difference between the two isn't as significant as Frazier's 2021 would imply. I do prefer Frazier with his ability to play the OF though. Either way, the acquisition cost is just as much as a consideration as what they actually add and in this case, Frazier blows Escobar away.

-Control - Frazier has 2022 in addition to the rest of this year. You'll have to pay for that.

-Money - Escobar's owed a prorated $7.5M. Frazier only $4.3M. 

-Recency Bias - Frazier leads the NL in hits and doubles for the team with the league's lowest performing position player group (team collective WAR). He's hitting .331 currently.

-Age - While Escobar is on the wrong side of thirty at 32, Frazier is in his age 29 season and having the best year of his career so far. 

I just don't know that the Sox are going to be willing to pay what it takes to trade for Frazier. I doubt they'd move Crochet for him. As far as prospects go, there's a big drop off after that and a whole lot of question marks after that. Looking past the 2021 season you may not want to deplete the farm in 2021 when you can get a capable vet with similar production but not an ideal pick up just by absorbing all of their money and sending one kind of interesting prospect in return.

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Escobar is markedly better against LHP than RHP this season.

I'm struggling to understand why we can't just get someone who can actually rake against RHP...considering that you know, that's actually our big weakness. 

Mainly because he has still has 10 HR's against RHP. The Sox are probably looking for a rental. That fits Escobar. They probably are not looking at guys you described who are either not rentals or would cost more. The obvious place to fill the need is 2nd base. Not likely to be an OF (Starling Marte fits FA hits both RHP and LHP well but will not come cheap.) since Eloy and Robert are coming back unless we can find a way to also trade Eaton, Hamilton, Goodwin or Engel.

Anyone who actually rakes RHP is probably an All Star player and not cost effective.

13 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Escobar and Frazier could provide similar amounts of value over the rest of 2021 but provide it in different ways. I would agree with @ChiSox59 's sentiment that the difference between the two isn't as significant as Frazier's 2021 would imply. I do prefer Frazier with his ability to play the OF though. Either way, the acquisition cost is just as much as a consideration as what they actually add and in this case, Frazier blows Escobar away.

-Control - Frazier has 2022 in addition to the rest of this year. You'll have to pay for that.

-Money - Escobar's owed a prorated $7.5M. Frazier only $4.3M. 

-Recency Bias - Frazier leads the NL in hits and doubles for the team with the league's lowest performing position player group (team collective WAR). He's hitting .331 currently.

-Age - While Escobar is on the wrong side of thirty at 32, Frazier is in his age 29 season and having the best year of his career so far. 

I just don't know that the Sox are going to be willing to pay what it takes to trade for Frazier. I doubt they'd move Crochet for him. As far as prospects go, there's a big drop off after that and a whole lot of question marks after that. Looking past the 2021 season you may not want to deplete the farm in 2021 when you can get a capable vet with similar production but not an ideal pick up just by absorbing all of their money and sending one kind of interesting prospect in return.

I think worth adding for the Pro-Frazier side is that he has always mashed RHP, even prior to this “breakout” season. 

I’m not convinced the Sox need a replacement at 2B right now, I really believe Mendick can do the job. 

The Sox are 37-6 when they hit a HR this season, and I do think that stat does have some significance. 

I think Schwarber could be had for less than Frazier and probably a similar package to Escobar. Him being a LH power bat also gives this lineup a little more balance, and would really be some nice insurance when guys get back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m not convinced the Sox need a replacement at 2B right now, I really believe Mendick can do the job. 

The Sox are 37-6 when they hit a HR this season, and I do think that stat does have some significance. 

I think Schwarber could be had for less than Frazier and probably a similar package to Escobar. Him being a LH power bat also gives this lineup a little more balance, and would really be some nice insurance when guys get back. 

Even if you’re a believer in Mendick, we need some depth; someone who can cover 2b/ss, at the bare minimum. 

5 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Even if you’re a believer in Mendick, we need some depth; someone who can cover 2b/ss, at the bare minimum. 

Yea we already have a glut of OF's now. Some of them are going to be removed from the equation eventually. Of course just forr fun you can have Shwarber DH against RHP while taking an occasional turn in RF thus removing the need for Lamb However without DH games in the World Series that negates Schwarber somewhat but increases the value of Escobar or anyone who has some positional versatility.

I'm still on the Escobar train unless they pony up for Starling Marte.

10 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

They can find that guy very easily, in the Timo Perez/Geoff Blum role that basically gets dealt for a PTBNL

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Schwarber makes way more sense than Escobar IMO. Escobar hits lefties better than righties, which isn't what this team really needs. Schwarber fits the lineup better and he can also play a passable corner OF, which Escobar can't do. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic