The Grandal will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar

Buehrle>Wood

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you wanted to drop $10 million a year to start McCann 50-60 games a year, on top of the $18 million for Grandal?

Yes. Absolutely, because this year and the next two is the window of contention ...and we knew Grandal had back issues.

McCann and Grandal worked great as a catching tandem with Grandal and McCann occasionally DHing or playing 1B.

I would rather have done that and sought a cheaper solution than Hendriks to Close or at least waited until the trading deadline to acquire a Closer...but that is another issue..

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Yes. Absolutely, because this year and the next two is the window of contention ...and we knew Grandal had back issues.

McCann and Grandal worked great as a catching tandem with Grandal and McCann occasionally DHing or playing 1B.

I would rather have done that and sought a cheaper solution than Hendriks to Close or at least waited until the trading deadline to acquire a Closer...but that is another issue..

30 million a year for catchers?  And that is a better allocation of resources?  God, no.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Lol you’re a clown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

1st of all have to wait on the Grandal report . All Star game is in a week so if you IL Grandal for 10 days maybe he only misses 5 or 6 games and won't have to do anything. If it's serious then the Sox are in some dire straits.

Stone complained tonight about Collins reaching for balls across the plate that otherwise might have been called strikes and allowing balls to get by him for extra bases.  I have been excited to see Collins progress this season , but now I question whether he can handle being the primary catcher on a contending team.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

30 million a year for catchers?  And that is a better allocation of resources?  God, no.

They already had Grandal signed and Grandal had back issues and a a history of back issues.

The amount to get McCann was probably $10 Million a year.  Now you potentially have Collins as the primary catcher.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If this is a 4+ week injury the Sox are pretty fucked. Also, Moncada keeps talking about playing through a shoulder issue. Might explain the power outage this year. 

If Grandal can make it back by September, the White Sox are fine. They'll win this shitty division regardless. If it's a season ender though, they probably can't win a title anymore 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, tray said:

They already had Grandal signed and Grandal had back issues and a a history of back issues.

The amount to get McCann was probably $10 Million a year.  Now you potentially have Collins as the primary catcher.

That adds up to just short of 30 million a year for one position. 

That is lunacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Grandal can make it back by September, the White Sox are fine. They'll win this shitty division regardless. If it's a season ender though, they probably can't win a title anymore 

Do you think they will add at the deadline or that depends on how serious Grandal’s injury is now?

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree with you that they'll make the playoffs regardless, but I disagree that Grandal is the difference between winning a title or not. They're not competitive with the Astros/A's/Rays/Red Sox (when Sale returns) 

• Haha 2

It wasn't one position because they both DHed and played 1B.

McCann was a All Star. Collins is playing at a Minor league level on a contending team.

I don't get some of you that complain that Reinsdorf doesn't spend the money to put this team in contention, then you argue that money should not be spent.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the  decision to save money and go with Collins has proven to be short-sighted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree with you that they'll make the playoffs regardless, but I disagree that Grandal is the difference between winning a title or not. They're not competitive with the Astros/A's/Rays/Red Sox (when Sale returns) 

Disagree. At full strength, the Sox are as good as anyone. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, tray said:

It wasn't one position because they both DHed and played 1B.

McCann was a All Star. Collins is playing at a Minor league level on a contending team.

I don't get some of you that complain that Reinsdorf doesn't spend the money to put this team in contention, then you argue that money should not be spent.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the  decision to save money and go with Collins has proven to be short-sighted.

James McCann wasn't an option to return. He wanted to leave. Why are we still doing this? 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Disagree. At full strength, the Sox are as good as anyone. 

They're not going to be at full strength until 2022 though. I agree with you there. 

I think Robert and Jimenez are probably going to be somewhere between 70-80% this year. Not sure Grandal will be able to do anything but DH, and that's if he comes back at all. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They're not going to be at full strength until 2022 though. I agree with you there. 

I'm not sure we will ever be at full strength. Moncada, Eloy, Robert, and Nicky get hurt quite a bit. Grandal and Abreu are getting up in age. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Grandal tears tendon in left knee (out 4-6 weeks), Zavala called up