Scherzer to SD close - errr Not so fast

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There are pros and cons to Preller's ultra aggressive style, but he deserves a TON of credit for building a system that's still stacked with talent even after the Padres had one of the best rosters in baseball.

I'm sure the Sox would have loved to take a bigger swing than Hernandez & Tepara but given where the system was at that would have been extremely difficult to actually do

right, Preller can do what he does because he has continued to bring in waves of talent from INTL and the draft each year. The sox practice of being uber targeted has meant we had some amazing prospects but a huge canyon behind. We just have to hope we hit spectacularly in this draft because I don't think this depth thing will change.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

right, Preller can do what he does because he has continued to bring in waves of talent from INTL and the draft each year. The sox practice of being uber targeted has meant we had some amazing prospects but a huge canyon behind. We just have to hope we hit spectacularly in this draft because I don't think this depth thing will change.

We also have to hope we nail every big international signing - the Roberts, Cespedes, Colas, Veras. The fact that Yolbert is finally hitting and isn't a write off saved him from being a disaster.

Imagine if Robert, while much younger, was a Rusney Castillo or Yasmany Tomas? We'd be fucked.

If the cost is only Paddack, they would rather deal him than Weathers or Gore (or the rest of their Top 5).  Yes, he was right up there with Pete Alonso for ROY in 2019, but frustrating/enigmatic/Cease-like the other two years.  It would like the Sox trading him or Kopech, but he just diesn’t have the explosive stuff he had before, 94-96 is pretty pedestrian right now and not not even close to Top 3-5% for a starter like a decade ago.

They also get Morejon and Clevinger back next season, Clevinger for the full year. Lamet who knows.

You could put together a team with all their trades, but most have disappointed.

Patino, Quantrill and Paddack the three best arms.

Luis Urias (much better off with Grisham), Franmil Reyes (one dimensional), Francisco Mejia, Ty France (see Reyes), Naylor (pre-injury, not quite enough pop), Hunter Renfroe, Margot, arguably the best on the position side.  Owen Miller could be Madrigal-ish. Hedges can’t hit his way out of a paper bag.

Of course, they also stole Cronenworth from the Rays and Nola (from SEA) is finally healthy and was a huge offensive contributor down the stretch last year.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm sure the Sox would have loved to take a bigger swing than Hernandez & Tepara but given where the system was at that would have been extremely difficult to actually do

The prices for many of these guys being dealt hasn't been astronomical.  If the Sox wanted to make an impact trade for a bigger name, I think they absolutely have the means to do so, especially if cheap ass Jerry would open up his pocket book and allow us to take on a salary dump.  

Hahn is operating in a window, which makes this deadline different than if we were putting all our chips in on this season.  But you can maintain a window outlook while still gambling a bit.  I don't hate a Sheets/Engel platoon in RF, but guys like KB and Gallo would represent significant improvements and increase our chances of winning it all this season significantly.  

I love this team, the roster, and will be a fan for the rest of my breathing days but, fuck, this small market approach really gets old sometimes.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, I think we could dominate anyone in a 7 game series. They could also dominate us.

You think that about this season? I think we have a shot to win it all, but we are asking a lot of our guys to come back from big injuries and light it up. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scherzer to SD close; Not So
1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Most of the teams in baseball and fan bases. Who really cares about what the Twins have accomplished in the last 20 years around the MLB? They Bomba squad was fun to watch hit and the Piranhas were a pain, but no one talks about or cares about either of those teams. 

Hopefully that poster ceases to exist shortly. Just a troll.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

You think that about this season? I think we have a shot to win it all, but we are asking a lot of our guys to come back from big injuries and light it up. 

I think our starting rotation is as good as any in baseball and our healthy offense can go on a run with the best of them. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scherzer to SD close - errr Not so fast
1 minute ago, mqr said:

Friendly reminder that the 2017 White Sox won 6 straight games against the eventual champion

Sure, but does anyone care?  Did they sell a single season ticket off that?

At any rate, I’m sure Dodgers vs. NL field or entire field for WS will be the fascinating bets for Vegas to price out…

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think our starting rotation is as good as any in baseball and our healthy offense can go on a run with the best of them. 

I hope you're right and that these guys can get back to form quick. Our pitching for sure can career us, especially if Hahn goes and gets Paul Fry. There is no reason we haven't gotten him yet. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but does anyone care?  Did they sell a single season ticket off that?

At any rate, I’m sure Dodgers vs. NL field or entire field for WS will be the fascinating bets for Vegas to price out…

nobody cares. I’m saying it’s fucking baseball dude. Literally anything can happen in 7 games. 

And I’m taking the field every single time