MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

To the last point, there is basically no chance Sheets is on the roster and AV isn’t assuming health. But I’ll just leave it there and agree to disagree on the rest. We’ll find out soon enough. 

Not to mention they wants to pretend that Andrew Vaughn has the pedigree of, well, Gavin Sheets.  

Vaughn was #13 on the overall MLB.com list.  He came through with a 60 hit and 70 power, knowing that he was also a defensive 1B.  The kid has an insane hitters ceiling, and too many people are caught up in freezing him based on one split in one of the craziest rookie seasons ever.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tray said:

1.That is a fact but be careful because you might be accused of hating that player. LOL.

2. You are right about how Vaughn and other outfielders cover up for their lack of speed by making sure they are positioned  correctly for each hitter. No problem there - that is always a good idea.  However, Vaughn went a step further than that  by employing what almost became a signature AV dive/belly flop (like the Fosbury flop became in gymnastics). After Vaughn continued to lay himself out time after time to catch  balls  it became obvious that he  had to dive because he lacked the speed  to get to balls that would have been routine plays for average Major league outfielders.

3. Vaughn is a  decent first base prospect but he is blocked for several years at that position  by Jose Abreu.   That leads me to suggest some hypothetical trades (or maybe diabolical trade suggestions to some Vaughn fans) that could help Vaughn develop, help the Sox in 2022 and likewise benefit  the team that  gets AV

4. If /when Vaughn gone,  that might unblock a path for Burgur  to finally make the team or for Sheets to become a full time player at DH/1B.  

1. I know, right? Making mention of a prospect's flaws means you hate that prospect, amirite?

2. Because of Jimenez and Vaughn and Sheets all lacking range, they position these 3 in a "no doubles " position, to hide their lack of ability. Really none of them are OFers, but I've made peace with Eloy being out there. (Does that mean that if you call Eloy a danger to others in the OF that you hate him?)

Anyway, I think that landing a solid OF glove is almost as important as finding someone who can hit RHP. Partially because of the existence of Eloy, and partially to help this depleted pitching staff.

3. I dont want to trade Vaughn, unless the deal was too good to be true. I think that most of what this club needs to do can be done with just money. Equally important, trading from the shittiest MiLB system will shorten an already shortened competitive window. 

I'd go: Suzuki 5/$55M (solves OF Defense); Villar 2/$7M (15 HR v RHP, switch hitter, some history of being a base stealer, and positional versatility).

If RH can get his stupid Kimbrel mistake the fuck off the roster, then go find a SP. But trading if you don't have to isn't what I'd want them to do.

4. I didn't believe in either of Burger or Sheets coming into 21. But Sheets in his SSS showed us something that no one else can do. For Burger, well, he got hurt again, and his fielding record in MiLB didn't inspire confidence. I'd like to have both Sheets and Vaughn as part of this clubs future, but I don't have any hopes for Burger.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to mention they wants to pretend that Andrew Vaughn has the pedigree of, well, Gavin Sheets.  

Vaughn was #13 on the overall MLB.com list.  He came through with a 60 hit and 70 power, knowing that he was also a defensive 1B.  The kid has an insane hitters ceiling, and too many people are caught up in freezing him based on one split in one of the craziest rookie seasons ever.  

Yeah.  Its insane.  Its really only a couple guys here tho, so I am going to try to tune it out moving forward.  For some reason, just bugs me. AV is going to be an awesome offensive player, and I was impressed with how he looked in LF throughout the season.  Again, no gold glover, but plenty capable.  Was he a black hole at times?  Yeah, he was.  But its to be expected.  He's going to improve immensely in 22.  

This argument also makes it sound like I don't like Gavin.  I do.  I just don't think we should put our eggs in that basket yet.  He's a very useful depth.  He does something we sorely need.  But he has zero defensive ability, and we quite simply have better bats that need to DH. I am just not sold that his SSS in 21 is going to translate.  He's never hit for much power in the minors, and I just don't see him as a high upside piece.  I keep using the Brandon Moss comp if all goes well, and continue to think that's pretty much an upper quartile projection for Sheets.  Not someone you turn AV into a weak side platoon player for. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah.  Its insane.  Its really only a couple guys here tho, so I am going to try to tune it out moving forward.  For some reason, just bugs me. AV is going to be an awesome offensive player, and I was impressed with how he looked in LF throughout the season.  Again, no gold glover, but plenty capable.  Was he a black hole at times?  Yeah, he was.  But its to be expected.  He's going to improve immensely in 22.  

This argument also makes it sound like I don't like Gavin.  I do.  I just don't think we should put our eggs in that basket yet.  He's a very useful depth.  He does something we sorely need.  But he has zero defensive ability, and we quite simply have better bats that need to DH. I am just not sold that his SSS in 21 is going to translate.  He's never hit for much power in the minors, and I just don't see him as a high upside piece.  I keep using the Brandon Moss comp if all goes well, and continue to think that's pretty much an upper quartile projection for Sheets.  Not someone you turn AV into a weak side platoon player for. 

Look, Sheets could well be a dude.  But realistically, again we are looking at a SSS in a rookie year.  He's also a guy who is even worse defensively than Vaughn.  Sure he could have figure it out and turned into prime Adam Dunn, but I also think TLR protected him and used him in a lot of favorable match ups during his time here, and it is likely we could be looking at some very real regression to the means as well.  I would love to see him hit at a high level, but if I have the choice between Vaughn and Sheets, there is literally zero question in my mind the answer is Vaughn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Saw this today, and I thought it was interesting:

MLB Teams by miles travelled

TL;DR: The SOX had the easiest travel schedule at ~23K miles in 2021. This was less than HALF of the hardest travel schedule, the mariners at ~48k miles.

One wonders if the org uses this fact to recruit FAs.

Of the "bottom" 10 teams, 9 of them are in either the AL Central or NL Central.

The Royals were the only Central team not to be in the "bottom" 10, and the Phillies were the only non-Central team represented in the "bottom."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Saw this today, and I thought it was interesting:

MLB Teams by miles travelled

TL;DR: The SOX had the easiest travel schedule at ~23K miles in 2021. This was less than HALF of the hardest travel schedule, the mariners at ~48k miles.

One wonders if the org uses this fact to recruit FAs.

It's a good thought. I'd be interested if it made a difference to anyone. It's not like they are on buses. First class air travel. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It's a good thought. I'd be interested if it made a difference to anyone. It's not like they are on buses. First class air travel. 

When you're talking the difference between the SOX and Seattle, even in 1st Class its 25000 fewer miles, fewer time zone changes, and less wear and tear on your body.

Every little bit helps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

When you're talking the difference between the SOX and Seattle, even in 1st Class its 25000 fewer miles, fewer time zone changes, and less wear and tear on your body.

Every little bit helps.

Makes sense. 

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Speaking as someone who does a lot of traveling (typically 75K ~ 100K miles per non-pandemic year)... any bit of travel reduction helps, first class or not.

Yeah but these guys don’t have to go to the terminal wait for ther flight, check in, carry their bags, and security for them is a breeze. Playing for Toronto is probably a bigger pain in the ass as you probably have to go through customs on every trip.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Yeah but these guys don’t have to go to the terminal wait for ther flight, check in, carry their bags, and security for them is a breeze. Playing for Toronto is probably a bigger pain in the ass as you probably have to go through customs on every trip.

Just ask Fergie Jenkins. 

On 2/16/2022 at 5:06 PM, Dick Allen said:

Also true. And by "security," you mean "show me your ID. Now let me help you with your bags."

Still a pain in the ass to have to travel though... even if chartered flights are a breeze.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I mean, duh, but hey at least it's not about the lockout.

Jimbo having a rough time on the twitters last few days lol.  Probably trying to make people forget about his flip flop from November to yesterday 

• Haha 1