Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/carter-hawkins-cubs-gm

Guess nobody stuck out across the city, like Haber...that said, no Brewers' front office guys, either, or Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, etc.

"According to The Athletic, the Cubs narrowed their GM search to four candidates, including Hawkins, James Harris (Cleveland's VP of player development), Carlos Rodriguez (Rays VP of player development and international scouting) and Jeremy Zoll (Twins assistant GM)."

I think you quoted the wrong part, or the article was updated.

That process is nearing a close, with Chicago working to finalize a deal that will name Carter Hawkins, a long-time part of Cleveland's front office, as the Cubs' new GM, a source told MLB.com on Wednesday.

Losing Hawkins will help the Cubs, and hurt the Guardians. Some here may be more concerned with the former, but it works for me.

Detroit and Cleveland will begin narrowing the gap with the Sox next season, unless the Owner and FO steps up and makes significant improvements. Both already enjoy a schematic advantage in the dugout.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I think you quoted the wrong part, or the article was updated.

Losing Hawkins will help the Cubs, and hurt the Guardians. Some here may be more concerned with the former, but it works for me.

Detroit and Cleveland will begin narrowing the gap with the Sox next season, unless the Owner and FO steps up and makes significant improvements. Both already enjoy a schematic advantage in the dugout.

Unless they decide to trade Jose Ramirez.  Detroit is probably one more year away.

The Guardians are still a team with Franmil Reyes as their second best hitter.   Wouldn’t be a shocker at all to see his number flip flop with Eloy’s.  How likely is Quantrill to repeat his rookie season success his second full season?  They might close the gap with a healthy rotation, but the White Sox still have a massive advantage offensively. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wegner said:

If Rick Hahn was to move on, what is the most likely scenario:

A)  Kenny moves back in to the job

B)  LaRussa moves up to the job

C)  Next Man up in the organization...Getz?

D)  Bring in Someone from outside the organization.

A and B would be terrible. C .... Getz is probably a Reinsdorf yes man and D ain't gonna happen with Reinsdorf here

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just as the team us getting good and consecutive playoff off appearances in team history? I don't see why he would either. 

Exactly. And why would they fire him? They didn't fire him from 2013 until the rebuild.  

Now, KW is a guy I can see moving on, whether it be in baseball or just kicking back and living life. His wife quit as an anchor on the NBC local morning news.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. And why would they fire him? They didn't fire him from 2013 until the rebuild.  

Now, KW is a guy I can see moving on, whether it be in baseball or just kicking back and living life. His wife quit as an anchor on the NBC local morning news.

I agree. Williams has always been a minor league, scouting, developing type of guy. With this team so young and locked up with longer term deals, he may decide its time.

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would Rick Hahn move on now? 

He probably won't, and JR isn't going to fire him because he probably doesn't see a reason to. Reinsdorf doesn't like to fire people even when there is a good reason.

One reason Hahn could leave if he fears he won't have the freedom to complete the rebuild. Or perhaps he sees an opportunity to he can't pass up. Or perhaps the combination of the two. But most likely he'll stay. He has worked for Reinsdorf for a time, and he knows what is in store for him. And most likely, he likes being in the White Sox organization. Seems to me that the biggest speculation about Hahn comes from fans, and they have no say-so in this situation.

I  am skeptical at this point. I am not impressed with consecutive playoff appearances when one comes in a 60-game season. The job of building this team is far from over. We will see what happens in the off-season. And hopefully, there will be baseball this next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would Rick Hahn move on now? 

I don’t think we are this lucky but here could be some portion of the reasoning.

1. He can. He would have demand right now for his services because of the recent success of the team, including his executive of the year praise. This may not be the case in a few years.

2. The demand for his services could easily translate into more money for him.

3. His position with the White Sox has certainly changed in the last 12 months after he was not allowed to hire his own coach. What that means for how the front office is functioning or for his career I will not guess here, but it could certainly be a factor in a decision like that. There could be actual personal conflicts here affecting his daily existence for the first time in his tenure.

4. He has had permanent protection in his position because of Jerry Reinsdorf regardless of performance. However, as seen with the other Reinsdorf owned team, that protection cannot be expected to last into the next ownership group, and the expectations of success might suddenly and dramatically increase. He might have 15 more years, or he might have far less. Again, no idea how he might actually weigh this, but it is another reason why a White Sox GM might hear a ticking clock right now.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They feel it is more toxic here with a 77 year manager making the decisions for the organization and not the EVP or GM, in theory.

I bet potential free agents think about this too. Why would you want to come play here if there’s no cohesion between the front office, owner and manager? It’s like who’s running the show here? It seems unprofessional. 

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t think we are this lucky but here could be some portion of the reasoning.

1. He can. He would have demand right now for his services because of the recent success of the team, including his executive of the year praise. This may not be the case in a few years.

2. The demand for his services could easily translate into more money for him.

3. His position with the White Sox has certainly changed in the last 12 months after he was not allowed to hire his own coach. What that means for how the front office is functioning or for his career I will not guess here, but it could certainly be a factor in a decision like that. There could be actual personal conflicts here affecting his daily existence for the first time in his tenure.

4. He has had permanent protection in his position because of Jerry Reinsdorf regardless of performance. However, as seen with the other Reinsdorf owned team, that protection cannot be expected to last into the next ownership group, and the expectations of success might suddenly and dramatically increase. He might have 15 more years, or he might have far less. Again, no idea how he might actually weigh this, but it is another reason why a White Sox GM might hear a ticking clock right now.

2 and 3 are good reasons.

After Hahn was allowed to do the rebuild they have made the playoffs in consecutive years. Unless the team takes a nosedive, I would find it hard to believe that a new ownership would have a problem with it.

1 hour ago, shago said:

Because he's offered a much better job, like any executive would

It would be interesting to see how JR would handle RH interviewing for another position!  If RH were to entertain someone reaching out...he best make sure he gets the gig!  If RH would get the gig and have the ability to hire on-field staff immediately...would have take anyone from the White Sox?  If so...who?

On 10/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, tray said:

I think LaRussa will be offered the GM job. I doubt he wants that and I doubt he wants to Manage next year.

Assuming that is the case, will Hahn be brought back as GM? I sincerely hope not. I have grown tired of Hahn promising "multiple champioships.

Talent evaluation prior to Drafts has been horrible. The Sox could have had Trea Turner and players other than Madrigal and Vaughn, who may not end up being all he was cracked up to be.  I know that is heresy among Vaughn  fans  but time will tell.

I think the Madrigal and Heuer to the Cubs  for Kimbrel debacle probably sealed Hahn's fate.

Not sure about potential GM candidates but there are several , maybe even including Theo.

So no LaRussa and no Hahn. Make them scapegoats (deservedly or not) and  move forward.

Reinsdorf's pockets aren't deep enough for St. Theo.

CWS will be under new, far more affluent ownership before they are able to attract those kinds of executives.

I see the Cubs made a play for Tampa Bay"s player personnel VP and came up short. 

But who wants that reclamation project? The Cubs biggest problem is ironically their cash cow - Wrigley Field.

CWS can set the world on fire with the right ownership. There would be some deep pocket suitors. But Reinsdorf's inflated ego would never give his legion of detractors the satisfaction of watching him turn over the keys to the kingdom.

Oh the editorials and post-mortems..  

The chants of "Bye Felicia" and "Good Riddance" would be heard globally.

His ego destroyed the Bulls.  And it clearly got in the way this year as it has over the past 40 years.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, Balta1701 said:

His position with the White Sox has certainly changed in the last 12 months after he was not allowed to hire his own coach. What that means for how the front office is functioning or for his career I will not guess here, but it could certainly be a factor in a decision like that. There could be actual personal conflicts here affecting his daily existence for the first time in his tenure.

Hahn has not had the authority to conduct and act on a managerial search in his 9 seasons as GM. Hahn inherited Ventura, promoted Ricky within 24 hours of Ventura stepping down, extended Ricky in October 2019, and then was bypassed when JR big-timed both Hahn and Kenny.

There is a good possibility Hahn never reaches that level of authority/autonomy with the White Sox, beyond say a sudden La Russa health episode sometime within the next eleven seasons, though Tony will need more if the Sox end up tanking again.

Current Standings

1. Connie Mack 3,731
  2. Tony La Russa 2,821
Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

A new owner with deep pockets along with a new FO would certainly be good for heating up the off-season.  Might not be as far-fetched as some would think.

We don't need deep pockets we just need a deeper analytical department that has more sway over what happens on the field and in the development of our minor leagues/scouting. I am so jealous of the Giants, Rays, Dodgers, Astros, and Red Sox organizations. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

We don't need deep pockets we just need a deeper analytical department that has more sway over what happens on the field and in the development of our minor leagues/scouting. I am so jealous of the Giants, Rays, Dodgers, Astros, and Red Sox organizations. 

I'll be graduating with a statistics degree in December 2023. Maybe I can help them out.

42 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Analytics doesn't matter if the manager won't issue them.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

You might want to watch Hahn's 5 minute introduction of Tony.

Wow... I remember this and I always felt sorry Hahn didn't get to choose his man after architecting the rebuild, but he clearly didn't agree with Jerry's hire.  Only 4 minutes in but it's painful to watch.  Not sure Hinch was the man which is who I believe Hahn was going to hire which may be why Jerry stepped in.  Only problem instead of a cheater we ended up with Tony and his DUI's which can be argued is worse than the cheating.  Bruce Bochy was my choice but after reading he turned down the Padres he may not have been an option which could be why Hahn turned to Hinch.   As much as the faithful didn't want Tony, I don't think we wanted a cheater either.  So I ask if not Tony, Hinch, or Bochy then who?