The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Personally prefer fewer teams being allowed in given how long the regular season is, but 6 teams isn't a deal breaker for me. My concern is that 6 is "just the start" for owners as they will push for more teams each CBA. 

Not sure I really like the way it has been with the 1 and done wild card game, so I don't have a problem with the top 2 teams getting a bye and the others playing a 3 game series if that is how it will be constructed.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still think you're going to be disappointed on the SP.  Fully expect Sox to go cheap FAs on 2B/SP depth.  Could see a Tepera reunion at RP.  

Conforto is the big fish.   

Nightengale recently pointed out we were in on Ray.  I really don’t think they want to rely on Keuchel providing quality innings or risk his option getting exercised.  And that’s a problem when your #5 starter is going to be on a massive innings limit.  I think they have higher ambitions for the rotation than just a role player.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nightengale recently pointed out we were in on Ray.  I really don’t think they want to rely on Keuchel providing quality innings or risk his option getting exercised.  And that’s a problem when your #5 starter is going to be on a massive innings limit.  I think they have higher ambitions for the rotation than just a role player.

Yeah the 4 and 5 are going to have question marks for sure. I'm just not sure where you are going to plug in another guaranteed starter and make it work.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like a Best of 3 Wild Card round far better than the current 1 and done do or die.  A 3 day layoff for the top two division winners is a good break but not too long of a layoff.  I wouldn't hate it if this is what happens.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah the 4 and 5 are going to have question marks for sure. I'm just not sure where you are going to plug in another guaranteed starter and make it work.

Honestly, send Keuchel to the pen to start the year and have him replace the first guy to go down.  I get it’s not ideal from a salary perspective, but we’re an injury away from a 3-4-5 of Keuchel, Kopech, & Lopez.  Too much uncertainty with those three guys not to add another starter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do wish / hope they let the best non bye team pick their opponent.  I think adding some strategy to the mix would be cool as hell.

I totally agree with this premise, but it gets tricky with the way schedules are created.  Should a division-winning Oakland team that is 87-75 get to choose their opponent over a 96-66 Tampa team that got second place in the East?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do wish / hope they let the best non bye team pick their opponent.  I think adding some strategy to the mix would be cool as hell.

And the Yankees choose......Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, send Keuchel to the pen to start the year and have him replace the first guy to go down.  I get it’s not ideal from a salary perspective, but we’re an injury away from a 3-4-5 of Keuchel, Kopech, & Lopez.  Too much uncertainty with those three guys not to add another starter.

NSC is suggesting there is some kind of informal trade worked out between us and OAK for one of their pitchers. If that's the case, you can slide that person into 4 and then Keuchel/Kopech split innings on 5. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was a market for Keuchel at a salary of like 11/12m. I wouldn't be opposed to eating 6m of the 18m this year, moving him out and saving 12m in the process and not having to worry about the whole vesting issue for next year. 

• Like 3