The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

NSC is suggesting there is some kind of informal trade worked out between us and OAK for one of their pitchers. If that's the case, you can slide that person into 4 and then Keuchel/Kopech split innings on 5. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was a market for Keuchel at a salary of like 11/12m. I wouldn't be opposed to eating 6m of the 18m this year, moving him out and saving 12m in the process and not having to worry about the whole vesting issue for next year. 

I’d be for that as well.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

MLBPA should respond to the clubs final offer with a bottom line 50m with 220/220/230/235/240 and remind them again that if games are canceled no expanded playoffs in 2022 so they can say goodbye to that extra 85m from espn at least for this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

But you didn’t hear any players denying the reports this morning like we have been all along.  I think you’re likely right though....and this sucks

This - players didn’t seem to be denying so I think this is more both sides took a step back over night and regrouped and probably realized they went further on certain things than they wanted. If they (players) had an issue with the leaks they should have been tackling that last night not 12 hours later. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We do know that he didn't vote for Manfred because he thought that Manfred was too soft on the MLBPA. 

That may be true.  I don't think I paid close attention to that vote.  JR might still have it out for the union and not care one iota how it impacts his 2022 club like in 1994, but we don't know anything for sure.  It sucks as fans either way, but a personal vendetta against JR is misplaced energy here IMO.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - players didn’t seem to be denying so I think this is more both sides took a step back over night and regrouped and probably realized they went further on certain things than they wanted. If they (players) had an issue with the leaks they should have been tackling that last night not 12 hours later. 

Said another way - I think all the noise of past two hours is just jockeying for final bit of leverage on both sides. We will see things hunker down and get more serious again tonight.

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That may be true.  I don't think I paid close attention to that vote.  JR might still have it out for the union and not care one iota how it impacts his 2022 club like in 1994, but we don't know anything for sure.  It sucks as fans either way, but a personal vendetta against JR is misplaced energy here IMO.

Jerry is but one of a group of somewhere between 8-30 that is responsible for this fiasco imo. 

If it's 8-10 owners holding things up, it would not surprise me one bit if Jerry was one of them based on his history.

I have mixed feelings on Jerry. He seems like about as good of a dude as a billionaire can be but he's a ruthless businessman.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I happen to think it's completely reasonable with the extra revenue that will be generated from legalized gambling, expanded playoffs and jersey ads. 

Yeah I just disagree. $85-100M is a huge number and it’s a brand new concept that never existed before. I don’t think $30M is the answer. But $85M isn’t. $40-$50M seems reasonable. 

It’s also a small number of guys that are even going to play in this pool. If MLBPA makes that the sticking point, it’s kind of dumb. They’re not going to get everything they want. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Said another way - I think all the noise of past two hours is just jockeying for final bit of leverage on both sides. We will see things hunker down and get more serious again tonight.

I am hoping its just hot air for one last push on some things.  But 48 hours ago MLB was perfectly content to miss a month of games?  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the last 24 hours were completely for show to say they tried and blame the players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I am hoping its just hot air for one last push on some things.  But 48 hours ago MLB was perfectly content to miss a month of games?  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the last 24 hours were completely for show to say they tried and blame the players.

Honestly it feels that way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I just disagree. $85-100M is a huge number and it’s a brand new concept that never existed before. I don’t think $30M is the answer. But $85M isn’t. $40-$50M seems reasonable. 

It’s also a small number of guys that are even going to play in this pool. If MLBPA makes that the sticking point, it’s kind of dumb. They’re not going to get everything they want. 

100M is $3.33M per team. That's the cost of a shitty bench player or reliever on the open market. 

I don't understand why it's so important for either side to look like they are trying to be fair. IT DOESN'T MATTER. You lose games, you lose fans. The more games you lose, the more fans you lose. If owners think it's cool to lose a month of games because it's cold in many cities and kids are still in school, let them look at their empty seats in July and August when they have an agreement. 

As a Sox fan who was around for 1994, this is deja vu. We have to sit through a rebuild. Then the team gets good, the covid, no fans, restricitions, fewer opportunities and lockout, missed games. It's almost as if they are trying to tell us something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

100M is $3.33M per team. That's the cost of a shitty bench player or reliever on the open market. 

It’s better than $0. Which is what tbe bonus pool has always been. A $130k raise for all pre arb players and a bonus pool (for a small number of elite pre arb players) is a nice move in the right direction. Wish MLB was willing to go to $230m on the CBT and $15-20M higher on the bonus pool, but doesn’t appear to be in the cards.