The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why? Because it's "start losing revenue time"? How about this: if the owners were worried about losing some game revenue, why didn't they start negotiating in earnest until games were actually in danger of being cancelled?

Hint: because they aren't worried about losing games.

They’re very worried about no playoff expansion. MLBPA has made it very clear that there will be no expanded playoffs unless they play 162. Urgency for the owners 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They’re very worried about no playoff expansion. MLBPA has made it very clear that there will be no expanded playoffs unless they play 162. Urgency for the owners 

I know there’s still time left, but the reports on the offer yesterday don’t sell “urgency”. No motion on the luxury tax, legitimately gave money on the arbitration pool but only a small step.

We might not be able to guess the exact particulars, but I think you and I could sit down at a bar table, make educated guesses on the arbitration pool, luxury tax, and revenue sharing amounts and come within a couple percent of where they actually wind up. Urgency is making a legit move into that area (for either side I should add).

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know there’s still time left, but the reports on the offer yesterday don’t sell “urgency”. No motion on the luxury tax, legitimately gave money on the arbitration pool but only a small step.

We might not be able to guess the exact particulars, but I think you and I could sit down at a bar table, make educated guesses on the arbitration pool, luxury tax, and revenue sharing amounts and come within a couple percent of where they actually wind up. Urgency is making a legit move into that area (for either side I should add).

Why would you think either side is going to come up with something anywhere near their best offer until there are a couple of seconds left on the clock?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then by definition there is not “urgency”.

It's urgency compared to December and January. This is coming down to the deadline for a full season and probably beyond that. I am sure the owners believe they can still get expanded playoffs in 2022 without playing 162. They will give in a bit somewhere else to get it.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea there's real urgency that's why the owners are making sure guys have access to the team facilities because you wouldn't want to delay things any longer. Luckily once a deal is made the players will already have been swinging and throwing and will be ready to start playing warmup games.

Right.

Wait, what?  Since when?

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Why would the MLBPA care about the size of the minor leagues and I would have thought they would want the number of options decreased but I also didn't really understand why the MLBPA care about an international draft. 

Just something to give up in later negotiations much like the players giving up on free agency after 2 years.  Neither was ever a serious want IMO.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea there's real urgency that's why the owners are making sure guys have access to the team facilities because you wouldn't want to delay things any longer. Luckily once a deal is made the players will already have been swinging and throwing and will be ready to start playing warmup games.

Right.

I think you're being sarcastic but union players are not allowed at team facilities during the lockout. Owners should definitely be making the facilities available for the minor leaguers/non-40 man guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

@Chisoxfn made a great comment in the settlement thread. Could you owners be angling for a late start, shorter season (150 games) and expanded playoffs? Call it temporary for this year then make it permanent.

It's a really dumb idea to give up revenue from 12 games and still pay players the same amount.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's a really dumb idea to give up revenue from 12 games and still pay players the same amount.

Perhaps not with an additional playoff round. 

Plus we're not certain MLB is being smart.