2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox were truly getting bunches of offers for him, even bad ones that still moved his salary, they would have done it. That's just unavoidable at this point, too much has happened around the league. The White Sox are hoping that the CBA changes things and creates offers - which it might. If a minimum payroll existed, then I'd totally take his entire salary if I was Pittsburgh. If a DH appeared in the NL, you might be able to pull off Kimbrel + Burger for Segura.

The only way to make the Kimbrel trade even worse would be dumping another potential long-term piece because you want to (mostly) get out of his salary. The package you listed doesn't seem unrealistic, but I think it would be another awful trade. There's no way I'd use Burger in a deal that doesn't significantly improve the club in 2022.

I know projections (listed below are the Steamer projections on fangraphs) aren't everyone's cup of tea, so take these fwiw:

Jean Seagura: .279/.337/.419 102 wRC+ 2.5 WAR 141 games

Jake Burger: 255/.306/.464 108 wRC+ 2.2 WAR (prorated out his projection to 141 games)

ZIPS also has Burger in the 2 WAR range if he were given every day playing time. Segura is obliviously a much safer bet, he fills an obvious need, but I don't think it's crazy that Burger outperforms Segura in '22 if he's given the playing time to do so.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jewels 8 Piece Bucket would be much more believble. 

It's no longer Jewel/Osco?  They actually sell "fresh" foods?  Or there's a local chicken franchise in Chicago named Jewel's playing off the other infamous Twitter ones?

Edited by caulfield12

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Let's just face it, the Phillies aren't doing any version of that deal that the White Sox are ok with. Either the White Sox need to add in extra players or pay an awful lot of the salary.

Segura for Kimbrel straight up is more than fair.  Segura is overpaid, in my opinion, for what Sox would be asking him to do and Kimbrel is a HOF closer who had a down 2nd half of the season and is a fit for a Phils need. I see no reason that segura/Kimbrel isn't fair. It may not happen but not because it is some massive coup by the Sox.  Quite frankly I think the Phils actually win that deal from a need perspective and maintaining their own personal LT flexibility.  

I'd rather give him 1YR at 16M and swap a redundant player at a similar cost vs. go sign Kenley Jansen to some big money multi-year deal.  

51 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Segura for Kimbrel straight up is more than fair.  Segura is overpaid, in my opinion, for what Sox would be asking him to do and Kimbrel is a HOF closer who had a down 2nd half of the season and is a fit for a Phils need. I see no reason that segura/Kimbrel isn't fair. It may not happen but not because it is some massive coup by the Sox.  Quite frankly I think the Phils actually win that deal from a need perspective and maintaining their own personal LT flexibility.  

I'd rather give him 1YR at 16M and swap a redundant player at a similar cost vs. go sign Kenley Jansen to some big money multi-year deal.  

You are simply fooling yourself about Craig Kimbrel’s present value. The league has already told you this, that’s why he is still on the white Sox. If you want a Phillies IF straight up for him, I would bet they would do Gregorius. Changing that requires changing the market, either by a team missing all the other options or by the CBA.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You are simply fooling yourself about Craig Kimbrel’s present value. The league has already told you this, that’s why he is still on the white Sox. If you want a Phillies IF straight up for him, I would bet they would do Gregorius. Changing that requires changing the market, either by a team missing all the other options or by the CBA.

How many significant trades have been made so far and isn’t it only the end of November?

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Anyone see the Jewel chicken bucket tweet? 

It would be great if true, but I will circle back to "Who the F is this guy?" Until something happen.

Besides of all of the chicken in Chicago,  Jewel is trash compared to the actual chicken joints. Anyone with actual Chicago connections would pick somewhere decent. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That would be another 'psychological' defeat to lose yet another Sox first-round pick due to badly miscalculating the market for Kimbrel.

With Collins, Fulmer, Burdi...Rodon likely gone, Madrigal traded, we'd be down to just TA, Crochet and Vaughn after they were crowing (patting themselves on the back, really) about their #1 draft picks all contributing last year with a number of puff pieces.

And who knows how long Vaughn, Crochet and Sheets will be around.

It's funny how much more value Sox fans give their players and picks once they leave.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Then I would either go cheap on Melancon (the Yankees already did this with Yates, $8.25 million for 2) or simply sign Iglesias for 3-4, because he's CLEARLY the best reliever on the market, with Jansen/Kimbrel options B and C (depending on need and organization's financial situation.)

Who is more desperate to get rid of their player, the Sox or Phillies?

The Phillies would be okay keeping Segura on their roster.  They want to dump Gregorious.

The White Sox would have to accept Gregorious and money back to make this work.   Unless the money's good enough to afford more than Leury Garcia (and that's HIGHLY unlikely), then most fans won't like the move for Didi at all based on his recent performance.

Unless all the Phillies' closing options disappear from the table, they simply don't have to give up Segura...they can force the White Sox to take Gregorious, or wait for Hahn to blink if he feels he might need to go into Opening Day 2022 with him still on the active roster.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Please no. We need to get defensively better and more left handed. This does neither.

I wouldn't complain because I think the most likely outcome for this off-season is 1 or 2 year deals around the margins, but if the money is there to spend, Castellanos is not the guy to splurge on.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Please no. We need to get defensively better and more left handed. This does neither.

Look at his vs RHP splits and take it with a grain of salt because it’s a rando Twitter dude.

Though he is followed by a legit Detroit ESPN correspondent… still I’d give it a 3.2/10 on the rumor scale.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Certainly not how I’d do it. Stated that many times here. But he’s at least a really good hitter. 

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I do believe he has the most consistent power and overall numbers against RHP that is left.

I would much, much rather have Story or Bryant. I think Conforto fits better and I'm not sure he'll be a worse player over the next few years anyways. But I am not going to complain if the Sox sign Castellanos.